Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FreedomPop Data Rollover service added (not by me) - is this service good for you?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    Now, I remember why I found using Citi VANs so cumbersome. That Flash thing. My desktop Chrome (on an older PC) had a problem with Flash. I keep having to manually launch and update it so that added more time to generating/managing Citi VANs. Citi does have a Citi VANs software. That was easier to use.
    The Citi VAN software uses Flash too. I had disabled Flash on my desk computer. The Citi app would not work without it. I have to keep Flash updated just so I can use the Citi VANs.

Isn't Flash on Chrome going to be discontinued? That's what Chrome on my newer PC keeps telling me.
    AFAIK, Flash is supposed to die at the end of 2020. We will see if Citi updates to HTML5 or something.

Not all Capital One cards may have virtual cards. I had a Cabela's Visa that was then appropriated by Capital One. The new Capital One Cabela's MC doesn't have virtual cards.
    Both of my Cap One cards had it. One is direct from Cap One. The other is a store card through Cap One.

It's the first of the month so it is time for me to go through all of my Freedompop accounts and check their status. I guess I will have to check to see if they have sleazed on any trial services that will turn into paid ones.

It is not breaking news that they want to get rid of all of us freeloaders for lines that pay at least a little bit. That was mentioned a couple of years ago. They started this thing a few years ago with venture capital in hopes that the free lines would motivate us to pay for some cheap service. I never had any illusion that free would last forever. I'm surprised that since Red Pocket bought them that they haven't moved faster to irritate the freeloaders to upgrade or cancel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    It's the "admin" fee. Freedompop accounts are no longer free if you use any of their services. It's a bs cash grab but oh well....

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app
    I suppose that would be the reason why they QUIETLY added that FP Data Rollover to Services with a $0.01 charge. I say "quietly" because the Billing History description column was empty. All other $0.01 charges in the past had "Account Maintenance" in the description column. I had to click on the transaction number to see what the $0.01 charge was for. Then I had to go to Services before I saw "$0.01 monthly billed free trial"

FP is probably assuming that people are not going to notice that $0.01 charge in the billing history. Some would be surprised when, a month later, they suddenly see a $3.99 charge for the FP Data Rollover + $2.99 admin fee.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Funny thing about the 1 cent charges is occasionally they credit me a refund on them.

I am paying with PayPal not that it matters. They charged me when I used a credit card as well.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have the double cash something or other.. the one with 2% back.

Direct link to van without citi website maze bs.

https://online.citi.com/US/VAN/webca...d=1&brand=Citi

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    It's the "admin" fee. Freedompop accounts are no longer free if you use any of their services. It's a bs cash grab but oh well....
    Only certain accounts see the "admin" fee. Have not seen it on any of my personal accounts, fortunately. Cancelling and re-activating would definitely resolve the issue, preferably using a different billing location if the admin fee is location-dependent.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    It is not breaking news that they want to get rid of all of us freeloaders for lines that pay at least a little bit. That was mentioned a couple of years ago. They started this thing a few years ago with venture capital in hopes that the free lines would motivate us to pay for some cheap service. I never had any illusion that free would last forever. I'm surprised that since Red Pocket bought them that they haven't moved faster to irritate the freeloaders to upgrade or cancel.
    I still have tons of free lines with high monthly data allotments. Did not really expect FreedomPop to continue so long after being bought out by Red Pocket. It has been nearly a full year at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post

Yeah I have the same card. Truly one of the best CC out there, or at least certainly was before Citi removed many of their programs in September 2019. I agree with others that using the desktop Citi VAN application is much easier than using the web portal. I will note though that FreedomPop blocked VAN's from Citi years ago. Their simple algorithm most likely only blocks using the first four digits for identification, so it's possible for it to work for some and not others. My VAN start with 5403-. Blocked numbers would fail when purchasing new items or updating billing.

Bank of America discontinued their virtual numbers (ShopSafe) last year, sadly. Capital One still does virtual numbers with Eno. Eno virtual numbers have starting digits that are more specific to a particular account, so possibly only those who have spammed FreedomPop with virtual numbers have their Eno blocked.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I did not know that my Capitol One card had virtual cards. The Citi virtual cards are one merchant per virtual number too. That is an acceptable security feature to me. If the card gets compromised, no one else can use it. As you say, the Citi app is not very impressive, but it works ok for me. It uses Flash which is a security nightmare.
    Eno has a chrome extension (and auto-filling) which makes it incredibly convenient. Citi's interface is indeed outdated and unnecessarily uses Flash. Best to use the desktop application over the website, though you still need Flash installed. BoA ShopSafe used HTML before it was discontinued.

Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post

thx
    cant do it in chrome.
    says requires flash.

link to their desktop app?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fstuff View Post
    thx
    cant do it in chrome.
    says requires flash.

The Citi Windows desktop app also uses Flash.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fstuff View Post
    thx
    cant do it in chrome.
    says requires flash.

Log into your account and follow the benefits pages to get to it. I don't use it the app, just the web url.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2