Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FreedomPop Data Rollover service added (not by me) - is this service good for you?

Feedback Score

FreedomPop Data Rollover service added (not by me) - is this service good for you?

I have a FreedomPop basic 200 free plan from >2 years ago that I've been using a Citi virtual card with before. On renewing this month, I got a message in my FP account page that my account has been suspended because of a billing issue. I checked Citi and they seemed to have discontinued the virtual card feature.

I updated my FP payment info to a real credit card and noticed a $0.01 charge. That didn't surprise me because FP occasionally (a few times per year) does charge $0.01 account maintenance. However, when I clicked on the Billing details, the $0.01 wasn't for account maintenance. It was for "FreedomPop Data Rollover". When I clicked on "Services" to get more info about it, it showed that it's "$0.01 monthly billed free trial".

Has anyone with the free basic 200 plan experienced/seen the same thing - FP tacking on that FP Data Rollover Service? I'm wondering if that's a good thing. I rarely use the 200-250 mb I get monthly so having unused data rollover over the months seem like a good thing for when I do want more data in the future. What do you guys think?

EDIT:
    Never mind. After looking up more info (https://support.freedompop.com/hc/en...-Data-Rollover), I'll answer my own question. No, it's not that great. If you're on the free plan, you can only roll over 200 mb which means that the max data you can get per month is 400 + 50 mb.
    Last edited by Maru; 05-03-2020 at 05:42 PM.

Feedback Score
    Ah, gee... now I've got to examine my FreedomPop lines for a similar "trial".

The charge for this won't stay at $.01/month. It's absolutely not worth paying for Neither this, nor any other optional service should be added to your line without your request, but FreedomPop has a history of doing such things in the past.

We'd all hoped that Red Pocket's purchase of FreedomPop would put an end to this type of thing.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    I have a FreedomPop basic 200 free plan from >2 years ago that I've been using a Citi virtual card with before. On renewing this month, I got a message in my FP account page that my account has been suspended because of a billing issue. I checked Citi and they seemed to have discontinued the virtual card feature.
    Where did you hear that?

I just generated this.

Feedback Score

FreedomPop Data Rollover service added (not by me) - is this service good for you?

Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Where did you hear that?

I just generated this.

I didn’t hear. I saw.

I have a few VANs linked to a Citi AAdvantage MC (exp 2022). One of those VANs was used with FPop and was set to expire 12/20. As I mentioned in the first post, several days before renewal day, my FPop account showed there’s a billing issue. I found that odd so I went to my Citi account. I couldn’t find the VAN link. It was usually under Card benefits/Shopping benefits/VANs.

I also saw that there was a new Citi AAdvantage card number in my account. Turns out, that’s the new card that Citi was sending to replace my current Citi card. I chatted with Citi to ask if the VANs linked to the current Citi card will be automatically linked to the new card. Citi said no.

I thought I just wasn’t seeing the VAN link bc they’ve closed the first Citi card. When I received the new Citi card, I logged into my account to create a VAN with it. I still couldn’t find the VAN link. The Citi Help page for VAN has a link but that link doesn’t work either. It just opens to the first page of the Card Benefits page and not to the VAN page.

Which Citi card do u have?

BTW, ever since Citi removed secure messaging, I’m liking it less and less. Chat reps are not technically trained (as one of them said) so they’ll just tell you to still call them. I hate calling for CS. Takes too long. Capital One also doesn’t have secure messaging but their chat reps are more useful. Chase has secure messaging. I hope they don’t get rid of it as I find writing and sending one short specific question more convenient than having to sit around waiting for someone to answer a call and then go through security questions with them.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I have the max amount of gigs of data(20 gig) in reserve so I pay for rollover. It's probably not a good deal because the total per month is $6.98.

It's $2.99 for the account plus $3.99. But it is AT&T data whenever I need it.

Sent from my iRulu Geoking Max 3 G36 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    I have the max amount of gigs of data(20 gig) in reserve so I pay for rollover. It's probably not a good deal because the total per month is $6.98.

It's $2.99 for the account plus $3.99. But it is AT&T data whenever I need it.

Sent from my iRulu Geoking Max 3 G36 using HoFo mobile app
    $3.99 is for the rollover but what is the $2.99 for?

Feedback Score
    Maru , I have had what's called "Citi® Dividend World MasterCard®" for many years, and I still see Services>Credit Card Services>MOBILE & DIGITAL WALLET>Virtual Account Numbers. Clicking on the Virtual Account Numbers link takes me to a page with options for Web-Based Version and Downloadable Version.

With that said, I sure hope Citi isn't getting ready to discontinue that feature!

Feedback Score

I updated my FP payment info to a real credit card and noticed a $0.01 charge. That didn't surprise me because FP occasionally (a few times per year) does charge $0.01 account maintenance. However, when I clicked on the Billing details, the $0.01 wasn't for account maintenance. It was for "FreedomPop Data Rollover". When I clicked on "Services" to get more info about it, it showed that it's "$0.01 monthly billed free trial".

Has anyone with the free basic 200 plan experienced/seen the same thing - FP tacking on that FP Data Rollover Service? I'm wondering if that's a good thing. I rarely use the 200-250 mb I get monthly so having unused data rollover over the months seem like a good thing for when I do want more data in the future. What do you guys think?

EDIT:
    Never mind. After looking up more info (https://support.freedompop.com/hc/en...-Data-Rollover), I'll answer my own question. No, it's not that great. If you're on the free plan, you can only roll over 200 mb which means that the max data you can get per month is 400 + 50 mb.
    I had the same thing on mine when I had to update last week. I removed it, then changed the payment back to paypal (easy to cancel) and ended up somehow with 750MB data and no extra charges.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Maru , I have had what's called "Citi® Dividend World MasterCard®" for many years, and I still see Services>Credit Card Services>MOBILE & DIGITAL WALLET>Virtual Account Numbers. Clicking on the Virtual Account Numbers link takes me to a page with options for Web-Based Version and Downloadable Version.

With that said, I sure hope Citi isn't getting ready to discontinue that feature!
    My Citi card still has virtual cards. I have only ever been able to get them to work with the downloaded (Windows) app. Citi is about the only one left with virtual cards. Bank of America ended theirs recently.

Even though Citi still has virtual cards, Freedompop stopped accepting them a year or so ago. FP also doesn't accept prepaid cards. They do accept the debit card from my credit union. FP has a Paypal option, but I have never explored that.

About last month I got several one cent charges from FP. When I checked, most had been refunded. It appears they did some sort of scan to check the validity of the cards on file. It used to be that making sure you used the minimum monthly would keep them from checking the card.

I also got an account suspended like the OP. When I checked it said that it was because the card on file had expired - which was true. It was an old Citi virtual card from when they did accept them. When I updated the card to the CU debit card my service resumed, but with some indication of carry over data like the OP. I don't see it there now. I did not think to check the services to see the carry over trial like the OP.

I don't want any trial services that turn into paid services. 200 MB a month is hardly worth it even for free. I don't know why I bother.

I don't understand why Red Pocket wanted Freedompop.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post

Hope so, too, for you and the others.

My VAN link used to be accessible from "Rewards/Card Benefits" and not under "Services" like yours is. Probably because mine was the in-partnership-with-others type of card.

I finally got around to calling CS (as expected, lots of blah blah blah, press this and press that, say this and say that before I finally got a human) and she confirmed that VAN has been discontinued some time this year for all Citi AAdvantage card products.

Feedback Score
    ...I finally got around to calling CS (as expected, lots of blah blah blah, press this and press that, say this and say that before I finally got a human) and she confirmed that VAN has been discontinued some time this year for all Citi AAdvantage card products.
    Thanks, good to know. Mine is not an AAdvantage card. I just checked. The Windows app is still working for mine. I don't want to say online what mine is. It's probably not available anymore anyway. A web search should find Citi cards that still have it.

In any case, FP stopped accepting virtual and prepaid cards a year or so ago. There was a topic about it at the time as we figured out what does and doesn't work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    My Citi card still has virtual cards. I have only ever been able to get them to work with the downloaded (Windows) app. Citi is about the only one left with virtual cards. Bank of America ended theirs recently.

Capital One has virtual cards. I have a Capital One Platinum MC with the virtual cards feature. It has a Chrome extension (Eno). It pops up (asking if I want to create or use an existing virtual CC) when a website asks for a CC. Downside is it's one website/merchant per virtual card no. It has more pros than the Citi virtual cards - longer exp date (5 years vs Citi's 12 mos), better virtual card management page where you can see all cards at the same time and clicking on one immediately pops up a box with all the card details and update options. You can assign a name for each card. I have Google, Apple, Mint,... I remember the Citi VAN page being so old-looking.

Feedback Score
    Capital One has virtual cards. I have a Capital One Platinum MC with the virtual cards feature. It has a Chrome extension (Eno). It pops up (asking if I want to create or use an existing virtual CC) when a website asks for a CC. Downside is it's one website/merchant per virtual card no. It has more pros than the Citi virtual cards - longer exp date (5 years vs Citi's 12 mos), better virtual card management page where you can see all cards at the same time and clicking on one immediately pops up a box with all the card details and update options. You can assign a name for each card. I have Google, Apple, Mint,... I remember the Citi VAN page being so old-looking.
    Thanks for the tip. I did not know that my Capitol One card had virtual cards. The Citi virtual cards are one merchant per virtual number too. That is an acceptable security feature to me. If the card gets compromised, no one else can use it. As you say, the Citi app is not very impressive, but it works ok for me. It uses Flash which is a security nightmare.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I did not know that my Capitol One card had virtual cards. The Citi virtual cards are one merchant per virtual number too. That is an acceptable security feature to me. If the card gets compromised, no one else can use it. As you say, the Citi app is not very impressive, but it works ok for me. It uses Flash which is a security nightmare.
    Now, I remember why I found using Citi VANs so cumbersome. That Flash thing. My desktop Chrome (on an older PC) had a problem with Flash. I keep having to manually launch and update it so that added more time to generating/managing Citi VANs. Citi does have a Citi VANs software. That was easier to use.

Isn't Flash on Chrome going to be discontinued? That's what Chrome on my newer PC keeps telling me.

Not all Capital One cards may have virtual cards. I had a Cabela's Visa that was then appropriated by Capital One. The new Capital One Cabela's MC doesn't have virtual cards.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    It's the "admin" fee. Freedompop accounts are no longer free if you use any of their services. It's a bs cash grab but oh well....
    $3.99 is for the rollover but what is the $2.99 for?
    Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast