Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Freedompop down for anyone?

Feedback Score

Freedompop down for anyone?

Is anyone having issues with freedompop?

App just crashes and closes down. One of my accounts has a message "your service is inactive due to an unforeseen technical issue...",
    Other one looks fine but still doesn't work.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie999 View Post

App just crashes and closes down. One of my accounts has a message "your service is inactive due to an unforeseen technical issue...",
    I don't use their app but my FreedomPop data works, as does logging into the FreedomPop website.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    I don't use their app but my FreedomPop data works, as does logging into the FreedomPop website.
    I have the same issue, with error code 303 I haven't tried the data or text yet. When I call out its garbled and broken. I submitted a support ticket April 30th no response yet.
    At least I now know my issue is not isolated.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie999 View Post

I think the 'unforseen technical issue' sometimes relates to a registered credit card having expired, or at least FP's system having forgotten that it's not expired. Sometimes it works to just reenter the same CC info again.

I've also seen some reports of the latest version of the calling app having problems, if you've updated the app very recently.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular, FreeUP Mobile, FreedomPop; Formerly Truphone, Google Fi, T-Mo Prepaid Gold Reward
    Feedback Score
    My online account for a seldom-used FP line gave me the inactive-due-to-unforseen-technical-issue message last week. I DMed FP support on Twitter and they responded quickly. Told me they reset my account and I should restart the phone - and by the way they could see that I didn't have the FP app installed and reminded me to do so to get the all the available features. Bingo.

So I put the SIM in a Win10 phone and it connected to LTE data as soon as APN was entered. Wrote them back that it's working but no app available for Win10 phones. I wonder if their system is disabling accounts that don't have the FP app installed?
    Trying to come up with some sort of signature line...

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5 Play, AT&T F160 flip, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D. View Post
    My online account for a seldom-used FP line gave me the inactive-due-to-unforseen-technical-issue message last week. I DMed FP support on Twitter and they responded quickly. Told me they reset my account and I should restart the phone - and by the way they could see that I didn't have the FP app installed and reminded me to do so to get the all the available features. Bingo.

So I put the SIM in a Win10 phone and it connected to LTE data as soon as APN was entered. Wrote them back that it's working but no app available for Win10 phones. I wonder if their system is disabling accounts that don't have the FP app installed?
    If you haven't used the account for several months it can go into hibernation. Looking at the online account, it will usually have a pop-up promoting you to reactivate or wake up the account. If a really long time has passed you may also lose the phone number.

I had a FP SIM in an Amazon Fire phone for several years without using the FP app.

Feedback Score
    I have never used the FP Messaging app. I still have 7 FP AT&T LTE free plan SIMs, and they all still work fine for data only. The phone #s fell off years ago since I never used the #s, or the FP Messaging app. As mentioned above, sometimes I have to wake up the SIM accounts, which is very easy to do by clicking the button on the popup in my account. If a FP AT&T LTE free plan SIM is asleep during the monthly renewal, it doesn't get the extra 50MB for that month.

Feedback Score
    SIP calling with FP credential doesn't work either.

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I have never used the FP Messaging app. I still have 7 FP AT&T LTE free plan SIMs, and they all still work fine for data only. The phone #s fell off years ago since I never used the #s, or the FP Messaging app. As mentioned above, sometimes I have to wake up the SIM accounts, which is very easy to do by clicking the button on the popup in my account. If a FP AT&T LTE free plan SIM is asleep during the monthly renewal, it doesn't get the extra 50MB for that month.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    I think the 'unforseen technical issue' sometimes relates to a registered credit card having expired, or at least FP's system having forgotten that it's not expired. Sometimes it works to just reenter the same CC info again.

I've also seen some reports of the latest version of the calling app having problems, if you've updated the app very recently.
    My credit card has expired last October but it still works. Maintenance fee is charged monthly. If I try to update the expiry date, or re-enter the entire number, it just doesn't let me save it with generic 'error has occurred" message.

App version is 23.12.00.0428. I can log in but then app just closes. Re-launching gives same result.

As I'm in Canada, I mostly use it for voice and text, and only use data while in the USA.

Feedback Score

It's the first of the month when I check my FP accounts. I have found a few of them disabled because the credit card was expired. Expired is what I wanted since I don't want them to be able to charge me anything, but their rules say you must have a valid card on file, so ok. The first clue was that data could not be enabled on the phone. It appears that they have done a sweep to check for expired cards and suspended accts. w/o a valid card.

Check your online account. If this is the problem, there will be a message about it when you first logon.

Now for the sleazy bit: While you are checking your online acct., look at Services. They have tacked on a trial of Data Rollover for 1 cent without it being requested, and Billing says that my next monthly bill will be 1 cent. My gut tells me that after a month Data Rollover won't be a penny.

Let's face it. They probably want to encourage as many freeloaders to leave as they can. I can't blame them for the substance of that, but the style is - there is no nice way to put it.

Since they gutted the free data down to 200 MB a year or so ago the whole free thing is pretty worthless anyway.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular, FreeUP Mobile, FreedomPop; Formerly Truphone, Google Fi, T-Mo Prepaid Gold Reward
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by millept View Post
    If you haven't used the account for several months it can go into hibernation. Looking at the online account, it will usually have a pop-up promoting you to reactivate or wake up the account. If a really long time has passed you may also lose the phone number.

I had a FP SIM in an Amazon Fire phone for several years without using the FP app.
    I have GV forwarding texts to this line, so it sees usage usage every month, so not a hibernation issue.
    I check my accounts monthly to re-enable expired account credits, which is on reason I keep this line and a data only SIM active...

Feedback Score
    I have GV forwarding texts to this line, so it sees usage usage every month, so not a hibernation issue.
    I check my accounts monthly to re-enable expired account credits, which is on reason I keep this line and a data only SIM active...
    The usage requirement is five outgoing calls of a minute or more or 5 MB of data use a month. I don't think texts count.

Feedback Score
    Was not having an issue, but today, it will not receive or place calls to the FP number. I also could not receive texts. If you place a call to the FP number, it goes to voice mail. If you try to place a call from the FP device it says there was an error trying to place a call. The app does not crash, it just doesn't work.

It appears there is clearly something wrong with their servers. Anyone else having an issue or can verify? Any suggestions to get timely support?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mo832 View Post
    Was not having an issue, but today, it will not receive or place calls to the FP number. I also could not receive texts. If you place a call to the FP number, it goes to voice mail. If you try to place a call from the FP device it says there was an error trying to place a call. The app does not crash, it just doesn't work.

It appears there is clearly something wrong with their servers. Anyone else having an issue or can verify? Any suggestions to get timely support?
    I suggest checking the status in your online account first. If it is suspended, you should get a notification as soon as you log in. They have been sweeping the accounts looking for expired credit cards. If the credit card is expired they suspend the account. Getting it going again is just a matter of putting in a valid card.

Otherwise, Twitter has been the best way to contact them and actually get anything done. They have generally only responded on Twitter M-F during business hours - no evenings and weekends.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    There is no problem with suspension. I just checked, even though I already was convinced it was fine, since usually the app will clear your balance or block your data, and I have been actively using the account the last few weeks. My website looks fine with no status messages or anything out of order.

I have sent them a DM thru twitter. Is that the right way, or a standard public tweet?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast