Thread: Covid-19 impact(?) at Red Pocket

Feedback Score

Covid-19 impact(?) at Red Pocket

I'm in the process of porting a phone # from Metro to RP and activating a new phone on their CDMA (Verizon) service. RP customer service has been working the problems I've encountered but boy, they sure are slow! In three hours of chat last night I found out the new LG VS998 I got for my daughter supposedly is not compatible. That's rather interesting since it's a Verizon branded phone and my and my wife's sims worked perfectly well in it when I tested it. They also said my old Samsung S3 wasn't compatible even though it's also Verizon branded and I think I had it on Red Pocket in the past. So, at the suggestion of the CSR, I decided to activate the sim using my wife's current phone which is running on RP CDMA and then move it to the new LG. To complicate things I inadvertently bought a GSMA sim with a 30 plan instead of a CDMA sim. I found a CDMA sim I had gotten earlier so I needed to have them move the plan from the GSMA sim to the CDMA sim. Shouldn't have been a big deal but apparently it is. Then this morning I check to see what's happening on the port. The number no longer works with Metro so why didn't I see it showing up on the phone. Well, after 1 1/2 hours of chat I find out the number was ported to CDMAS (Sprint). How they screwed that up I don't know. The CSR said the number had to be ported from Metro to CDMAS first, and reported to CDMA. Sound fishy to me and a made up excuse to cover up a CSR screw up. Now they want me to wait up to 24 hours to see the port from CDMAS completed. Is this for real, or an excuse?

I sure hope we can blame their botched up customer service to problems caused by Covid-19 impacts on staffing. I've never had this much problem activating a new phone in the past. But the compatible problem is a real mystery to me. Does the Verizon system have issues? Or is RP having problems with V in general? They sure are pushing iPhones on GSMA. When I first contacted RP after I got the wrong sim they pushed to go with anyone but V. Makes me wonder what's going on. Pure speculation but I wonder if American Movil is putting the squeeze on V to have them be the only MVNO companies running on V.

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by idahoboy View Post
    The CSR said the number had to be ported from Metro to CDMAS first, and reported to CDMA. Sound fishy to me and a made up excuse to cover up a CSR screw up. Now they want me to wait up to 24 hours to see the port from CDMAS completed. Is this for real, or an excuse?
    It sounds to me like an excuse. And lets face it, CSRs don't always know what they're talking about. I can see how the transfer of a plan from a GSMA SIM to a CDMA SIM is a problem, but what you describe here makes no sense whatsoever.

Are the Verizon branded phones unlocked for use on a Verizon MVNO? If I understand correctly, which is not often the case, just because a phone is branded Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile doesn't automatically mean you can activate it on an MVNO. Sometimes you have to have a year of use with the company before they'll unlock it for you.

Maybe somebody more knowledgeable about these matters will reply.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Older Verizon phones cannot be activated on Verizon (Redpocket CDMA) because the phones are not VOLTE compatible. IDK about the S3, but I suspect it does not have VOLTE.

Feedback Score
    The error message that come up says the phone is valid but does not support ICCID LTE. It is voice over LTE. I also works quite well with my or my wife's RP CDMA sim installed. I believe the one year restriction applies to prepaid phones. This one is not a V prepaid.

Now RP is saying everything looks good for the port but they don't have confirmation from Metro. But the Metro account is now closed and I can't make contact with anyone at Metro to check on the confirmation. Did I say I'm working on getting the sim activated using my wife's LG Elite flip phone which was new to RP CDMA less than a year ago. Once the sim is activated I'll put it in the VS998.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by idahoboy View Post
    The error message that come up says the phone is valid but does not support ICCID LTE. It is voice over LTE. I also works quite well with my or my wife's RP CDMA sim installed. I believe the one year restriction applies to prepaid phones. This one is not a V prepaid.
    Again, a non-VOLTE cannot be ACTIVATED on a Verizon backed line, regardless of how it branded. A non-VOLTE phone presently works on Verizon backed lines but they will not work as of 1-1-2021.

Redpocket cannot bend these rules.

Feedback Score
    @idahoboy, I don't see where/if you mentioned where you got the LG VS998 for your daughter ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by husavik View Post
    Again, a non-VOLTE cannot be ACTIVATED on a Verizon backed line, regardless of how it branded. A non-VOLTE phone presently works on Verizon backed lines but they will not work as of 1-1-2021.

Redpocket cannot bend these rules.
    All the phones involved are VoLTE. That's why the message 'does not support ICCID LTE' is so mystifying!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    @idahoboy, I don't see where/if you mentioned where you got the LG VS998 for your daughter ?
    From an eBay seller. I've had good luck buying phones that way.

Feedback Score
    We finally got it working! After talking to 3 CSRs at RP I got connected with one who knew what he was doing! We got the number ported and the sim into the RP system using my wife's LG VN220 flip phone but we had trouble getting it programmed. It kept wanting to connect to VZ prepaid. The VN220 does not have CDMA support. The network type was shown only as LTE so the CSR asked me to put it into a phone that showed CDMA/LTE. So I put it into the VS998. After a some restarts it finally got programmed to RP.

For certain, as mentioned above, some CSRs really do know what they're doing but most don't know if the problem doesn't fit the script.