Thread: Why do iPhones sell for more than Apple retail on eBay?

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Why do iPhones sell for more than Apple retail on eBay?

Why do iPhones (and other Apple products) sell on eBay for more than you can buy retail from Apple?

For example, a new SE is $399 from Apple 64GB unlocked. The cheapest one on eBay is $460 right now.

Some of the other current models have many sales at prices higher than retail.

These are US sellers. I am comparing same spec phones.

I have no ax to grind here but noticed this pattern since I like to shop eBay.

What am I missing? What could possibly be the advantage?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that ebay charges a fee to the seller and I would imagine the seller is merely passing it on to the buyer. I am no expert on eBay and have never used them to sell or purchase anything.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quick search shows a BIN price of $159.55 for an unlocked pink iPhone SE 64Gb. It may not be the lowest price bc I didn’t do a lowest price sorting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254390708900

That said, are u looking at BiN or auction prices that ended?

I’ve noticed what you’ve noticed (eBay prices higher) too but observe it more with auction sales. It seems to me that some people have no clue about prices and then just get carried away during the bidding. Also, a lot of people don’t know how to bid. They just keep bidding and bidding and bidding driving up the final price way way way high.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    Quick search shows a BIN price of $159.55 for an unlocked pink iPhone SE 64Gb. It may not be the lowest price bc I didn’t do a lowest price sorting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254390708900

That said, are u looking at BiN or auction prices that ended?

I’ve noticed what you’ve noticed (eBay prices higher) too but observe it more with auction sales. It seems to me that some people have no clue about prices and then just get carried away during the bidding. Also, a lot of people don’t know how to bid. They just keep bidding and bidding and bidding driving up the final price way way way high.
    That link is for the first generation SE. I didn’t specify I was looking at the new second generation SE.

I am looking at the BIN only. New, unopened only.

Agree auction can get carried away with emotional bidding.

Feedback Score
    People sometimes will sell items on eBay that are high demand hard to come by. They many times buy at full retail and attempt to sell for more than that in order to make a buck. I also see people selling items that they don't physically have and then will order from Amazon or Apple and have sent to the buyer after they get paid. They often use their free listings and really are not out anything if the item does not sell.