Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast

Thread: Is the New T-Mobile now in the best Position to overtake At&t and Verizon in Coverage

Carrier(s)
    Att
    Feedback Score

Is the New T-Mobile now in the best Position to overtake At&t and Verizon in Coverage

Hopefully we have good competition
    Last edited by eddiehaskell; 05-20-2020 at 07:43 AM.

Feedback Score
    Via reddit

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Att
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Buttler View Post
    Since you are demanding where are your sources that they will not be number 2? More att lovers panicking because there beloved carrier is losing the 5G war.
    Most people aren’t scared. More competition is good for everyone

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Since you are demanding where are your sources that they will not be number 2? More att lovers panicking because there beloved carrier is losing the 5G war.
    Who is “panicking” as you state. I don’t think anyone has a crystal ball that can see how any carrier will be in a year or two by now.

Lastly please tell me how t-Mo getting better will make another carrier worse.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    AT&T Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    The current advantage T-Mo has in 5G is more important as power they can leverage in their marketing. When AT&T and Verizon market themselves (accurately) as carriers with "more coverage," T-Mo will market themselves (equally accurately) as the carrier with more "5G coverage", which will confuse less informed consumers that assume "coverage" is "coverage".
    But more 5G coverage CAN mean more coverage. Living in a major city (Atlanta), I don't have a lot of coverage issues. There are really only two issues that normally affect me. One is a shopping center near me that's in a weak spot. Signal is fine outdoors, but very spotty inside the stores (Kroger, Target, Lowes). Since getting a 5G phone, my service inside the stores has definitely improved. I'm now generally able to get signal freely throughout the stores (haven't tested Target yet). I did lose service briefly in Kroger once, but it came back w/o having to move to the front of the store like I often had to do previously. The only other significant coverage issue I have is during large festivals, when thousands of people cram into neighborhoods that don't normally have that much user density. With the recent turn of events, it may be a while before this gets tested again. But I would expect the greater efficiency of 5G to be able to handle high volumes of people better (especially now while the 5G user base is so low). Another anecdotal point: a couple weeks ago I visited a friend's cabin at Lake Keowee, SC. I was somewhat surprised to see that I had 5G service nearly the entire way (it dropped down to LTE during one brief point). I also had 5G at their cabin on the lake. It's been over a year since I've been there, but I THINK I had to use their WiFi while inside the cabin the last time I was there.

I'm not obsessed with insane speeds on my phone. I don't normally download huge files via mobile. As long as the casual browsing I do is snappy enough, and reliably available, I'm happy. It doesn't really matter if consumers are informed about the technology, or if they care about 5G. What matters is whether or not it makes their overall user experience better. Using a more efficient technology over a lower frequency band can be a contributing factor to that goal.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I don't think that the 'average person' really cares about '5G' and fewer care about '5G war', or even believe it.
    The so-called 5G war is not much different for many than the 3G war (iPhone pushed it more than anything else), and 4G. The average person will not care for hype, unless they are dissatisfied with their current service, price or have a new feature that they want/need.
    Deploying 5G and claiming that it is the next best thing since sliced bread to consumers is a hard sell.
    1. Apple iPhones on 5G still don't exist
    2. Cost - With the exception of LG and 1+ , Samsung is pushing +$1k
    3. What does this give the 'average' user today that they don't have ?

Would I purchase a 5G device... possibly. I just replaced my work iPhone 8 with a Samsung S10e (cost =$0). Would have cost me +$500 for a Samsung S20 5G.

I do expect that long term, T-Mobile will be in a very good spot for their 5G spectrum.
    Short term... T-Mobile still has a way to go before it can 'win the 5G war', as the vast majority are on ... 4G.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Exactly. See how a modifier like "5G" can deflect what most people actually care about- usable coverage, and turn the conversation into "faster coverage nearly 1% of customers can use."

Right now the only people who care about 5G coverage are us geeks and nerds in forums like this, and the seventeen people in the wild with 5G-capable handsets.

Really so now you claim to speak for everyone as if you know how most people think.. So tell me why AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile are spending millions of dollars on TV, Web and print Advertising promoting their 5G networks? Are you saying you are smarter than all three networks for them making most of their advertising focused on 5G?

I can tell you government cares about 5G. Also anyone that is working from home or going to school or college using their phone cares about 5G.

Carrier(s)
    Att
    Feedback Score
    Who cares about 5g if your coverage drops off once you leave the interstates.

T-Mobile needs to slow down on the 5g bragging until they get more coverage going

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post

T-Mobile needs to slow down on the 5g bragging until they get more coverage going
    Just proves you know nothing about T-Mobile coverage. I haven’t lost T-Mobile coverage for over a year outside even 8 miles from the nearest paved road in the Everglades. There is no interstate road near there. Every since my area got 600 MHz spectrum I haven’t lost service inside a building. BTW AT&T doesn’t come close to T-Mobile coverage where I live especially inside building.

BTW, AT&T needs to fire a lot of their arrogant customers service representatives.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Really so now you claim to speak for everyone as if you know how most people think.. So tell me why AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile are spending millions of dollars on TV, Web and print Advertising promoting their 5G networks? Are you saying you are smarter than all three networks for them making most of their advertising focused on 5G?

I can tell you government cares about 5G. Also anyone that is working from home or going to school or college using their phone cares about 5G.
    I don't speak for "everyone", but enthusiasts in a forum like this tend to forget how little the average consumer understands or cares, because it doesn't matter to them as much as to people like us. I've driven cars for nearly 40 years, and not once have I known or cared how many "horses" my engine output, nor how many "cubes" it was since I was 16 (and only tjent because "318 CI" was printed on the air intake pan of my 1972 Plymouth Satellite) but I'm sure there's a car forum on the web somewhere where's that's all they talk about.

5G is the new thing in wireless, so of course it's all the advertising is going to focus on. As I've already explained in my last post, the 5G message will fall on uninformed ears and get transformed into what the consumer wants to hear. If my carrier has the "best" 5G network, it has the best network, right? And of course 5G is better than 4G, because in the immortal words of Spinal Tap, "it's one louder."

Right now there are millions of Cricket customers subscribed to Cricket LTE service, every one of them throttled, some to 8Mbps and some even to 3Mbps- both slower than the 3G HSDPA service AT&T and T-Mobile offered us over a decade ago. But they use their "LTE" service everyday.

My broadband ISP offers "gigabit" service for an extra $80/month. I don't buy it, because I don't need it. Many people don't. And if some people don't feel the need to buy the fastest home internet available to them, why would they suddenly need the fastest mobile internet available? Some times good enough is actually good enough.

I've asked you this before, and you've never answered: what are you suddenly able to do on a 5G phone today, that you couldn't do yesterday on a 4G phone? In other words, what's the incentive for average consumers that already have a decent modern device on a decent network to run to T-Mo (or whoever) and plunk down $1000 on a new 5G phone to access the newest and best 5G network?

3G was available for 2-3 years before I bought a 3G phone (well, actually that's not true- I had a few unlocked 3G Windows Mobile phones from overseas or from AT&T that I used on T-Mo before they launched UMTS, and even then those devices lacked 1700MHz so I couldn't use them for 3G even after T-Mo launched it!)

Similarly, I didn't buy an LTE phone right away either. HSPDA "FauxG" worked great, and T-Mo didn't offer any LTE devices I was interested in at the time.

Now, here we are at the launch of 5G. And again, I'm with a device and a network that works fine. I can already stream HD video on my phone, so what is 5G going to do for me that LTE doesn't already do? No one has been able to give me a satisfactory answer to that question; at least not an answer that can convince me to buy a $1000 phone to do the same sh*t I already do on my $350 phone.

And I doubt I'm alone... I'll buy a 5G phone when that feature has filtered down to mid-range devices when I'm in the market for a new device, but I suspect many of us out there aren't jumping to buy a 5G device just because of a few ads showing 5G magenta beams lighting up the sky.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Now, before the three monkeys jump on me for besmirching
    Just another example of one of your personal attacks against other forum users.

Carrier(s)
    Att
    Feedback Score
    I don't speak for "everyone", but enthusiasts in a forum like this tend to forget how little the average consumer understands or cares, because it doesn't matter to them as much as to people like us. I've driven cars for nearly 40 years, and not once have I known or cared how many "horses" my engine output, nor how many "cubes" it was since I was 16 (and only tjent because "318 CI" was printed on the air intake pan of my 1972 Plymouth Satellite) but I'm sure there's a car forum on the web somewhere where's that's all they talk about.

5G is the new thing in wireless, so of course it's all the advertising is going to focus on. As I've already explained in my last post, the 5G message will fall on uninformed ears and get transformed into what the consumer wants to hear. If my carrier has the "best" 5G network, it has the best network, right? And of course 5G is better than 4G, because in the immortal words of Spinal Tap, "it's one louder."

Right now there are millions of Cricket customers subscribed to Cricket LTE service, every one of them throttled, some to 8Mbps and some even to 3Mbps- both slower than the 3G HSDPA service AT&T and T-Mobile offered us over a decade ago. But they use their "LTE" service everyday.

My broadband ISP offers "gigabit" service for an extra $80/month. I don't buy it, because I don't need it. Many people don't. And if some people don't feel the need to buy the fastest home internet available to them, why would they suddenly need the fastest mobile internet available? Some times good enough is actually good enough.

I've asked you this before, and you've never answered: what are you suddenly able to do on a 5G phone today, that you couldn't do yesterday on a 4G phone? In other words, what's the incentive for average consumers that already have a decent modern device on a decent network to run to T-Mo (or whoever) and plunk down $1000 on a new 5G phone to access the newest and best 5G network?

3G was available for 2-3 years before I bought a 3G phone (well, actually that's not true- I had a few unlocked 3G Windows Mobile phones from overseas or from AT&T that I used on T-Mo before they launched UMTS, and even then those devices lacked 1700MHz so I couldn't use them for 3G even after T-Mo launched it!)

Similarly, I didn't buy an LTE phone right away either. HSPDA "FauxG" worked great, and T-Mo didn't offer any LTE devices I was interested in at the time.

Now, here we are at the launch of 5G. And again, I'm with a device and a network that works fine. I can already stream HD video on my phone, so what is 5G going to do for me that LTE doesn't already do? No one has been able to give me a satisfactory answer to that question; at least not an answer that can convince me to buy a $1000 phone to do the same sh*t I already do on my $350 phone.

And I doubt I'm alone... I'll buy a 5G phone when that feature has filtered down to mid-range devices when I'm in the market for a new device, but I suspect many of us out there aren't jumping to buy a 5G device just because of a few ads showing 5G magenta beams lighting up the sky.

Good post .
    Last edited by eddiehaskell; 05-20-2020 at 07:27 PM.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I don't think that the 'average person' really cares about '5G' and fewer care about '5G war', or even believe it.
    The so-called 5G war is not much different for many than the 3G war (iPhone pushed it more than anything else), and 4G. The average person will not care for hype, unless they are dissatisfied with their current service, price or have a new feature that they want/need.
    Deploying 5G and claiming that it is the next best thing since sliced bread to consumers is a hard sell.
    1. Apple iPhones on 5G still don't exist
    2. Cost - With the exception of LG and 1+ , Samsung is pushing +$1k
    3. What does this give the 'average' user today that they don't have ?

Would I purchase a 5G device... possibly. I just replaced my work iPhone 8 with a Samsung S10e (cost =$0). Would have cost me +$500 for a Samsung S20 5G.

I do expect that long term, T-Mobile will be in a very good spot for their 5G spectrum.
    Short term... T-Mobile still has a way to go before it can 'win the 5G war', as the vast majority are on ... 4G.
    Yes, I remember Apple saying something like no one cares about LTE, when some Android phones had LTE. Back then Apple argued that LTE uses too much battery power for Apple to make it practical to add LTE capability to the iPhone. However I have never heard anyone outside this board say that they don’t care about 5G. Most people wants to get a 5G phone when the price comes down.

T-Mobile will be winning the 5G War when they are getting double the number of net new customers over AT&T and Verizon combined in a quarter. Sure got to wonder why anyone on Verizon would spend $1000 for a 5G phone that only works standing next to a mmWave small cell and not moving to avoid dropping 5G. There isn’t a 5G phone on the market yet that can use CA with mmWave and Sub-6MHz.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 05-20-2020 at 06:19 PM.

Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post

Amazing how the att lovers try tell T-Mobile how to run there network. Maybe you should give advice to your beloved carrier instead.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Yes, I remember Apple saying something like no one cares about LTE, when some Android phones had LTE. Back then Apple argued that LTE uses too much battery power for Apple to make it practical to add LTE capability to the iPhone. However I have never heard anyone outside this board say that they don’t care about 5G. Most people wants to get a 5G phone when the price comes down.

T-Mobile will be winning the 5G War when they are getting double the number of net new customers over AT&T and Verizon combined in a quarter. Sure got to wonder why anyone on Verizon would spend $1000 for a 5G phone that only works standing next to a mmWave small cell and not moving to avoid dropping 5G. There isn’t a 5G phone on the market yet that can use CA with mmWave and Sub-6MHz.
    Apple didn't really say no one cares about LTE as much as they claimed (pretty correctly) that the first gen LTE chipsets were power hogs (much like the first gen 5G chips were!)

And I agree that no one on Verizon should be spending $1000 on a 5G phone right now. Where we disagree is that I don't think T-Mo customers should either!

Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast