Thread: Just Received VoLTE And WiFi Calling With TF-ATT BYOP SIM On Android!

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score

Just Received VoLTE And WiFi Calling With TF-ATT BYOP SIM On Android!

After all my griping, I got a surprise today. I have a Straight Talk Moto G7 Optimo Max (G7 Power) that I got last year, to use my Tracfone AT&T BYOP SIM in. I never activated it with Straight Talk. I later decided to use the SIM in a Pixel 3aXL, figuring that if any Android was going to finally get VoLTE from an AT&T MVNO that would be it, but it did not happen.

I had the Straight Talk phone rebranded to Tracfone, with a TF-Verizon SIM. I recently decided I preferred the long battery life of the Optimo Max for my TF-AT&T, and transferred the TF-Verizon to another phone.

When I put the TF-AT&T SIM in the Optimo Max, a box came up offering to set-up WiFi calling! It registered quickly and VoLTE now works. I guess the SIM re-provisioned itself when it detected a compatible Tracfone. It didn't when I first had the AT&T SIM in it, but I guess AT&T had since begun updating allowed IMEIs.

It was originally a Straight Talk phone, and I saw the thread about AT&T Straight Talk phones getting VoLTE, but it still seemed that mainly iPhones were getting it. It is good to see that finally even non-flagship Androids are getting it.
    Last edited by mframe; 04-27-2020 at 03:45 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    It didn't when I first had the AT&T SIM in it, but I guess AT&T had since begun updating allowed IMEIs.
    Yes, it is happening now. I have an unlocked LG Phoenix 2 which I keep around because from my research it is VoLTE compatible. However last month I activated a TF-ATT SIM with it and wasn't able to get WiFi calling enabled. (My understanding is VoLTE is a pre-requisite for WiFi calling capability.) Last week I activated another TF-ATT SIM (for the $25 gift card promotion) with the phone and was surprised that both WiFi calling and Enhanced LTE (VoLTE) were enabled this time. I guess the phone is still worth keep even it is quite a few years old.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick880 View Post
    Yes, it is happening now. I have an unlocked LG Phoenix 2 which I keep around because from my research it is VoLTE compatible. However last month I activated a TF-ATT SIM with it and wasn't able to get WiFi calling enabled. (My understanding is VoLTE is a pre-requisite for WiFi calling capability.) Last week I activated another TF-ATT SIM (for the $25 gift card promotion) with the phone and was surprised that both WiFi calling and Enhanced LTE (VoLTE) were enabled this time. I guess the phone is still worth keep even it is quite a few years old.
    The LG Phoenix 2 was a great phone that was MUCH better than it should have been. I have two of them that I got for $29.99 each from Best Buy in 2016. I still have one active using a FreeUp Mobile free plan.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    The LG Phoenix 2 was a great phone that was MUCH better than it should have been. I have two of them that I got for $29.99 each from Best Buy in 2016. I still have one active using a FreeUp Mobile free plan.
    I'm using my Phoenix 2 on a T-mo deal that I joined about 2 weeks ago. It appears to have VoLTE on T-mo. I don't see an HD indicator on the screen (maybe it doesn't have one), but when I used it to call my wife's Fiesta 2 on TF/T-mo, her phone indicated that the call was on HD Voice/VoLTE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I'm using my Phoenix 2 on a T-mo deal that I joined about 2 weeks ago. It appears to have VoLTE on T-mo. I don't see an HD indicator on the screen (maybe it doesn't have one), but when I used it to call my wife's Fiesta 2 on TF/T-mo, her phone indicated that the call was on HD Voice/VoLTE.
    What is the latest Android security patch level on your Phoenix 2?

https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-l...20150630401832 show Software version: K37121q and Security patch level (SPL): July 1, 2018 but https://www.att.com/devicehowto/tuto...LGK371&gsi=VnJ shows Software version: K37120q and Security patch level (SPL): March 1, 2018.