Thread: unlock bootloader of TF branded Moto G7

Feedback Score

unlock bootloader of TF branded Moto G7

I'm interested in getting a tracfone branded Moto G7 mentioned in

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...OTO-G7-for-100

Question: After I keep the phone active (on TF) for a year and asked TF to carrier unlock the phone, can I go to the Motorola website and get the bootloader unlock? (for root/twrp etc --- nothing nefarious!!) I plan to stay with TF/same carrier.

Thanks for your help and information!

Feedback Score
    According to HSN, the phone model number is XT1955DL. Because there seem to be so many variants to the G7, it might be helpful to search by model number instead of name. Good luck.

Edit: I found this with a quick Google search:

http://androidbiits.com/root-tracfon...1955dl-easily/
    Last edited by lg800g user; 04-18-2020 at 07:32 PM. Reason: additional info

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lg800g user View Post
    According to HSN, the phone model number is XT1955DL. Because there seem to be so many variants to the G7, it might be helpful to search by model number instead of name. Good luck.

Edit: I found this with a quick Google search:

http://androidbiits.com/root-tracfon...1955dl-easily/
    Thanks. The first step there is to go to the Motorola website to unlock the bootloader, which is exactly my question (whether or not TF brand is eligible for bootloader unlock after one year of service).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SaOn View Post
    Thanks. The first step there is to go to the Motorola website to unlock the bootloader, which is exactly my question (whether or not TF brand is eligible for bootloader unlock after one year of service).
    Tracfone model XT1955DL became available in early June of last year. It will be a bit more time until those phones are available for a carrier unlock from Tracfone (June 2020), so experiential information regarding post carrier-unlocking characteristics of the XT1955DL will be limited, unless you have a time machine that can move you forward.

Maybe message Motorola if your purchase totally hinges on this capability.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lg800g user View Post
    Tracfone model XT1955DL became available in early June of last year. It will be a bit more time until those phones are available for a carrier unlock from Tracfone (June 2020)
    Unlock point countdown starts when the phone is activated, not when it was first introduced for sale.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Only paid for airtime counts toward the year of paid airtime, not transferred airtime... it counted toward the earlier phone it was activated with. The 365 days of use with the transferred airtime does count so that when you then add a year's worth of paid airtime it then immediately qualifies for unlocking.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SaOn View Post
    One year of paid service is TracFone's requirement for getting a SIM unlock.
    AFAIK, Motorola has never given out bootloader unlock codes for any TracFone branded phone, SIM unlocked or not.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    If someone gets a Tracfone from HSN with the promotional balances and 1 year airtime, is it eligible for unlock after 1 year if no other minutes are purchased (in other words, are those balances considered "purchased")?

Also, if a Verizon SIM from a properly activated Tracfone is removed and used in another phone, but is still associated to the original phone, then placed back in the original phone before the unlock request, would they do it?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    If someone gets a Tracfone from HSN with the promotional balances and 1 year airtime, is it eligible for unlock after 1 year if no other minutes are purchased (in other words, are those balances considered "purchased")?
    Some reps will say that the bundled time doesn't count as "paid/purchased" time, but a forum member on Turk Forum got her TF-branded Moto G6 unlocked after using the bundled time for 12 months.