Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Unlimited Data plan hotspots - Newer devices?

Device(s)
    LG VX9900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Unlimited Data plan hotspots - Newer devices?

I'm having a bit of a panic. I have 4 UD lines - 3 Unite Explores and 1 ATT WHPI. ATT doesn't have any devices on their site any longer and the Nighthawks are ridiculously priced on ebay. What gives? I haven't been around here in awhile so did I miss something? Should I even consider paying the price for a Nighthawk on ebay? My UE has slowed down but is still passable even though it's been in constant use for at least 2.5 years. The WHPI device is the newer version but is still at least 2 years old. This is our only internet available.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
    I'm having a bit of a panic. I have 4 UD lines - 3 Unite Explores and 1 ATT WHPI. ATT doesn't have any devices on their site any longer and the Nighthawks are ridiculously priced on ebay. What gives? I haven't been around here in awhile so did I miss something? Should I even consider paying the price for a Nighthawk on ebay? My UE has slowed down but is still passable even though it's been in constant use for at least 2.5 years. The WHPI device is the newer version but is still at least 2 years old. This is our only internet available.
    Ridiculously priced? I bought one off amazon for $169 and I’ve seen some on eBay for like $179 or so. It’s a great device and worth it if you get good signal on AT&T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG VX9900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I just started checking and they are $399 up to $500. Not $150.

Device(s)
    LG VX9900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well I was able to snag a BIN for $275 right when it listed. Guess we'll see how it works. My bigger concern was my UEs taking a crap and not being able to find anything else and why is ATT not selling them any longer?

Feedback Score
    Well I was able to snag a BIN for $275 right when it listed. Guess we'll see how it works. My bigger concern was my UEs taking a crap and not being able to find anything else and why is ATT not selling them any longer?
    Within the last few months, I have noticed AT&T no longer selling dedicated hotspot devices online, except the Spark (which really isn't a dedicated hotspot anyway). If you go to an AT&T store, I usually see the Nighthawk on display.

Maybe AT&T is limiting the supply of dedicated hotspot devices to curb abuse, especially online. If you buy a dedicated hotspot in a store, the system will automatically check the plan for compatibility with the device. When you order online, these system checks are easy to bypass and practically non-existent.

I am sure 5G expansion has a role in the supply of dedicated hotspot devices for AT&T as well. I do not believe AT&T will be releasing another 4G LTE dedicated hotspot device. 5G will be the focus.

And I am sure AT&T is well aware of the rampant SIM swapping of their data only plans to other devices. Buying online is too easy. Most people will not attempt getting a device in store due to the checks and balances of the system in place at the point of sale.

I am thankful AT&T lets me keep my Mobley SIM in another dedicated hotspot device without warning. And also lets me keep a postpaid iPad unlimited data plan in a device that is not an iPad. Hopefully AT&T will continue this practice for those who do not abuse these unlimited data only plans.

Device(s)
    LG VX9900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by schippma View Post
    Within the last few months, I have noticed AT&T no longer selling dedicated hotspot devices online, except the Spark (which really isn't a dedicated hotspot anyway). If you go to an AT&T store, I usually see the Nighthawk on display.

Maybe AT&T is limiting the supply of dedicated hotspot devices to curb abuse, especially online. If you buy a dedicated hotspot in a store, the system will automatically check the plan for compatibility with the device. When you order online, these system checks are easy to bypass and practically non-existent.

I am sure 5G expansion has a role in the supply of dedicated hotspot devices for AT&T as well. I do not believe AT&T will be releasing another 4G LTE dedicated hotspot device. 5G will be the focus.

And I am sure AT&T is well aware of the rampant SIM swapping of their data only plans to other devices. Buying online is too easy. Most people will not attempt getting a device in store due to the checks and balances of the system in place at the point of sale.

I am thankful AT&T lets me keep my Mobley SIM in another dedicated hotspot device without warning. And also lets me keep a postpaid iPad unlimited data plan in a device that is not an iPad. Hopefully AT&T will continue this practice for those who do not abuse these unlimited data only plans.
    My personal Unite Explore was purchased second hand on ebay a couple years ago when I added the 4th UD line and it's worked fine. The other two UEs were bought from ATT when I got the lines and my sons use those. But all this time I thought I would be able to get a new device from ATT or at least buy a reasonable used Nighthawk. I can't believe what people are paying for them and wondered what the heck happened. Even used UEs are over $125.

I can't afford to mess around with swapping sims and lose my account/UDPlus plan since we have nothing else available.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    They have probably become even more valuable due to Covid-19, and everyone being stuck at home using more internet.

Feedback Score
    I just started checking and they are $399 up to $500. Not $150.
    This is the one I purchased. You may have just missed out. I bought another for about $169.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I just bought an M1 off Amazon, in late February. Renewed model and unlocked. It looks like new. For $179 USD.

Works fantastic with AT&T US and AT&T Mexico.

Device(s)
    LG VX9900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MiataRed View Post
    I just bought an M1 off Amazon, in late February. Renewed model and unlocked. It looks like new. For $179 USD.

Works fantastic with AT&T US and AT&T Mexico.
    That was fortunate. They're $400 now.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    The UE already supports (per Google) LTE band 2, 4, 5, 12/17, 29, and 30 that AT&T use; it's only missing band 14 (FirstNet) and 66 (extended AWS, extends out band 4 a bit.) I'm not sure a Nighthawk or the like would get you a significant speed boost.

Device(s)
    LG VX9900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. The one I purchased for $275 was listed by a guy that didn't know what he was doing. It was still listed on his ATT account and still within the 24 months. Good thing I asked about it before he shipped it out.

Found another that is a 100NAS which seems to be the fully unlocked North America version. No band 14 but it was only $199. It should work with ATT. I hope that I can just put my UE sim in it and have it work but that hasn't been the case with my WHPI. I had to call to have them recognize the device in the system. Stupid because I should be able to swap between data devices.

https://kb.netgear.com/000060412/Wha...-Mobile-Router

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 8.00.36 AM.png
Views: 139
Size:  62.4 KB

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. The one I purchased for $275 was listed by a guy that didn't know what he was doing. It was still listed on his ATT account and still within the 24 months. Good thing I asked about it before he shipped it out.

Found another that is a 100NAS which seems to be the fully unlocked North America version. No band 14 but it was only $199. It should work with ATT. I hope that I can just put my UE sim in it and have it work but that hasn't been the case with my WHPI. I had to call to have them recognize the device in the system. Stupid because I should be able to swap between data devices.

https://kb.netgear.com/000060412/Wha...-Mobile-Router

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 8.00.36 AM.png
Views: 139
Size:  62.4 KB
    If it works in a UE it should work in the Nighthawk. I constantly switch between a 815S UE and an M1.

Device(s)
    LG VX9900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thought I would come back and post my results. After updating to the latest firmware it seems like this Nighthawk is much faster than my UE. Was able to just put the sim in the M1 without contacting ATT. It is a manufacturer refurb but I ended up with the 2nd gen model 2A1NAS even though the listing said 1A1NAS. Darn thing was $300 though because the one for $200 didn't get shipped due to having problems. Pretty pleased with more than double my usual speeds. Thanks for all the comments.

Device(s)
    LG VX9900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast