Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Thread: $29.99 eBay TF 1200/1200/3GB/1Year

Feedback Score
    If your priority is to have a flip phone vs this specific phone, then this method can accomplish it. I purchased the ATT prepaid alcatel flip phone and the 1200/1200/3G 1 yr ebay deal for tracfone ATT. Activate the Sim, insert into the ATT flip phone, and off you go.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    1. Will you be transferring your balance from another phone/SIM? What model phone/SIM.

2. Do you prefer a certain carrier?
    No transfer. This would be a new phone, with a new phone number, and no balance.

Two additional questions:

1) The eBay listing gives three options: T-Mobile compatible, Verizon compatible, AT&T compatible.
    Does the carrier selected here determine the network that will be used? If yes, is one carrier recommend over the other two, or does it come down to the carrier with the best coverage in the area the phone will be used?

2) When I add the phone to shopping cart on TracFone's website, it prompts me to enter a zip code. Is this zip code used to assign a phone number (area code prefix), or is there another reason this information is requested?

Thanks for the replies and information.

Feedback Score
    The phone will come with a TF/Verizon SIM that is bespoke to the phone, i.e., Tracfone has the phone's Verizon-whitelisted IMEI and the SIM serial number locked together. The numbers will be listed on a red card that comes with the phone for convenience. You don't have to use this SIM, but you can't use another TF/Verizon SIM because the IMEI is already spoken for. With a Verizon SIM, you have to provide a phone IMEI because Verizon requires the linkage.

Your best bet is to get the AT&T or T-Mobile SIM because that lets the original Verizon SIM be removed and ignored and AT&T and T-Mobile don't care what the IMEI is.

They ask for the zip code because they want to verify that Verizon is a go in your area.

This eBay AT&T/T-Mo SIM gets activated independently as a stand-alone account. You go to the TF website and activate it and it will be provisioned with a phone number and the airtime. Then you just pop it into a phone that can work with it. It's called a BYOP SIM. You can move it between any phone that will accept it.

If you get a Verizon SIM, you will have to provide an official Verizon IMEI that is not already linked. You don't have to use that phone, you just need an IMEI.

Also, it is necessary that the flip phone can accept a BYOP SIM and not be beholden to its official original SIM. It is not exactly correct to use a BYOP SIM in a Tracfone-branded phone, but this is done all the time. The BYOP SIMs are supposed to be used in guest phones.

The SIM that comes with the phone is intended to be used with Tracfone plans where you buy a certain amount of minutes etc. and have them loaded to the SIM. Not a SIM that already has airtime loaded.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grondar View Post
    Two additional questions:

1) The eBay listing gives three options: T-Mobile compatible, Verizon compatible, AT&T compatible.
    Does the carrier selected here determine the network that will be used? If yes, is one carrier recommend over the other two, or does it come down to the carrier with the best coverage in the area the phone will be used?

2) When I add the phone to shopping cart on TracFone's website, it prompts me to enter a zip code. Is this zip code used to assign a phone number (area code prefix), or is there another reason this information is requested?
    1) When you purchase that BYOP SIM on ebay, the carrier selected determines the network that SIM will use. Assuming you have coverage from all 3 carriers at your location, each has its plus/minuses:
    - AT&T has good strong signal at many location, and it's easy to swap its SIM into any compatible phone. The minus is that VoLTE and WiFi Calling are not yet available to all TF/AT&T users.
    - T-mobile typically has strong signal in metropolitan areas, but weak signal in rural areas. The plus is that they have VoLTE and WiFi Calling, you can also swap its SIM into any compatible phone.
    - Verizon has good strong signal at many locations, has VoLTE and WiFi Calling, but the SIM it paired to a give SIM and its a hassle to move its SIM to another phone.

2) Beside using the zip code to assign you a "local" phone number, TF also uses the zip code to determine which carrier will work in your area. For example, some areas have Verizon service but no AT&T service. If you try to activate a TF/AT&T SIM for that zip code, TF will tell you that it won't work.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The e-Bay deal is meant for use with a BYOP and not a branded Tracfone. So it will not count as paid service for unlocking a branded Tracfone after one year of paid service?
    The flip phone will come with a Verizon SIM. You would need an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM from e-Bay. Tracfone will not ask for the phones IMEI when activating an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM, so they never know you will use it in a branded Tracfone. This has been explained to two people recently and still they gave away to Tracfone that the SIM would go in a Tracfone and they were prevented and the SIM and/or phone may have been flagged for an attempt to break the rules because further attempts also failed.
    You may have to do this online so that you never communicate with a CSR. If at any time you are asked for the phones Info... you must stop the process before it is rejected. The other workaround is to use the IMEI of a good AT&T or Verizon BYOP to activate the e-Bay SIM and then put it into the flip-phone. Normally AT&T or Verizon service is best. Another solution is to forget the e-Bay preloaded SIM purchase.
    You should run your final plan past us so any mistakes are caught ahead of you failing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Verizon has good strong signal at many locations, has VoLTE and WiFi Calling, but the SIM it paired to a give SIM and its a hassle to move its SIM to another phone.
    WiFi Calling with MVNOs on Verizon?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    WiFi Calling with MVNOs on Verizon?
    Maybe not.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    If you were prepared to spend $50, consider this bundle, with Verizon service... instead of the preloaded SIM. You could still buy the flip phone.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Mo...vkf2T7ptrWYH-g

Feedback Score
    Thanks again for the replies and information.

Ultimately, I am considering options for an older relative after CDMA shuts down at the end of this year. They currently have a PagePlus account with a basic flip phone that will no longer be supported going forward, and the low prices and deals at TracFone look appealing as a potential replacement.

I am also considering it as an option for myself as a backup phone, though I am not sure I am able to justify the need for one other than it being oddly desirable.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Look at all the plan offerings from Tracfone... including the individual bucket add ons.
    $5 for 1000 Texts
    $10 for 500 Minutes
    $10 for 1.0 GB Data
    https://www.tracfone.com/shop/plans

Also factor in promo codes. https://turkforums.jcink.net/index.php?showtopic=7&st=0

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13