Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile trying to buy Shentel 1.1 million customers

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile trying to buy Shentel 1.1 million customers

To all the people that said T-Mobile doesn’t care about rural, T-Mobile is looking at merger with Shentel network that covers West Virginia, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Maryland. Can you smell what T-Mobile got cooking? T-Mobile won’t stop... they are on a mission to take out AT&T and Verizon. Shentel is dependent on Sprint for roaming outside their regional area. If they turn down T-Mobile merger offer on their CDMA network they lost nationwide coverage for their customers. Seems a lot of CDMA rural networks see the writing on the wall they have to get off CDMA onto LTE and 5G.

Last edited by shilohcane; 04-09-2020 at 11:18 PM.

Feedback Score
    Hoping this goes through because I am in a newly acquired Shentel area and Shentel does have amazing Network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

T-Mobile trying to buy Shentel 1.1 million customers

If this goes through then T-Mobile will have the best network in rural West Virginia. Yes I said:”rural.”

Add parts of Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania to that list.

The added 1.1 million customers are a nice add too.

Great find Shilo!

Does anyone know if Shentel has any wireline or IP backbone that could be useful to T-Mobile regionally?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    To all the people that said T-Mobile doesn’t care about rural, T-Mobile is looking at merger with Shentel network that covers West Virginia, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Maryland. Can you smell what T-Mobile got cooking? T-Mobile won’t stop... they are on a mission to take out AT&T and Verizon. Shentel is dependent on Sprint for roaming outside their regional area. If they turn down T-Mobile merger offer on their CDMA network they lost nationwide coverage for their customers. Seems a lot of CDMA rural networks see the writing on the wall they have to get off CDMA onto LTE and 5G.
    It's not about caring it's that Shentel and Sprint has a deal thus is transfers to T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    That region has had bad coverage problems for a long time. Include eastern Kentucky too.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    It's not about caring it's that Shentel and Sprint has a deal thus is transfers to T-Mobile.
    Right. No T-Mobile largess here. As reported 9/19/17 T-Mobile either has to buy Shentel or shut down T-Mobile operations in their AOO.
    Shenandoah would be 'biggest winner' in wireless merger, says Drexel Hamilton After CNBC's David Faber reported that T-Mobile (TMUS) and Sprint (S) are in "active" talks about a possible merger, Drexel Hamilton analyst Barry Sine called Shenandoah Telecommunications (SHEN) potentially the "biggest winner" if such a deal comes to pass. If T-Mobile bought Sprint, it would have to decide whether to acquire Shenandoah at fair market value, shut down its network and retail stores in Shentel's area within two years or to sell the T-Mobile customers and network to Shentel at a discount, which Sine sees as the option the company would most likely choose given its integration challenges.
    P.S. I was trying to figure out what spectrum T-Mobile might pick up in such and acquisition but can't find any listed as "Shentel" "Shenandoah" or "nTelos". Does anyone have a handle on this?

P.P.S. Seems that Shentel runs on Sprint's PCS G-block spectrum. Must be some sort of LTEiRA type agreement.
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 04-10-2020 at 12:31 PM.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    If this goes through then T-Mobile will have the best network in rural West Virginia. Yes I said:”rural.”

Add parts of Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania to that list.

The added 1.1 million customers are a nice add too.

Great find Shilo!

Does anyone know if Shentel has any wireline or IP backbone that could be useful to T-Mobile regionally?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Found out On Wiki that Shentel has fiber IP backbone and even has a home wireline IP and TV network. According to Wiki they seem to have purchased a lot of small cable networks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shentel

Feedback Score
    SHENTEL reminds me alot of Chick-fil-A: organization, the people in their stores, the appearance of their towers. The tidiness of their towers is most impressive as compared to American Tower and Vertical Bridge. SHENTEL seems to run a tight organization.

the map below shows their territory. The orange fiber line that runs from Harrisburg, PA to Roanoke, VA, as many know is Interstate 81. The eastern edge of their territory goes to Loudoun and Fairfax Counties, VA. In terms of median income per household, Loudoun County VA is the wealthiest county in the USA and Fairfax is close to it. Winchester, VA (childhood home of Patsy Cline) and Frederick County are experiencing the bleed over from the richer counties.

Without going into the minutia, the I-81 corridor is experiencing tremendous growth. A multitude of warehouses are being built along I-81.
    If there is one thing Deutsche Telekon is good at knowing, it's where the money is; and there is a mountain of money in that yellow region.

I have a Sprint, employer provided CDMA phone that i use inside that yellow area. I think it stinks. My personal phone is on AT&T and i believe that AT&T is best for me.

My hope is that T-Mobile make SHENTEL a T-Mobile affiliate, combines the spectrum, and allows SHENTEL to maintain both the T-Mobile and the SHENTEL towers inside that yellow area. That would be the most beneficial for those of us who live, work, and play in that area.

Contrary to the video, T-Mobile has good service in that area, IMO, just not where AT&T is.

Name:  Screenshot-2020-4-10 PowerPoint Presentation Template - bf2bfe40-f86b-4acd-9bbf-2dcb6746962f.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  35.8 KB

The money attraction for T-Mobile
    10 of the 20 wealthiest counties in the USA
    Name:  Screenshot-2020-4-10 The 20 wealthiest counties in the U S , including these Washington, DC, sub.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  39.6 KB

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Little more detail on T-Mobile Negotiations with Shentel.

https://www.tmonews.com/2020/04/t-mo...less-business/

This is the option I hope T-Mobile takes “ If no agreement is reached between the two, then T-Mobile will have 60 days to decide if it wants to purchase the assets of Shentel’s wireless business for 90% of its entire business value.”.

I just don’t trust Shentel as a affiliate. T-Mobile has commented to cover 99% of the population in 5G in few years and Shentel doesn’t have such a requirement to the FCC. Having a better 5G that is nationwide, robust and penetration of buildings is the only chance of T-Mobile moving past any or both of their competitors.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    .....I just don’t trust Shentel as a affiliate. .......
    Sprint customers have said that they wished that Sprint had been run just half as well as Shentel. In any event, T-Mobile knew about Sprint's contractual obligation to Shentel from the get-go. No surprises here.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Sprint customers have said that they wished that Sprint had been run just half as well as Shentel. In any event, T-Mobile knew about Sprint's contractual obligation to Shentel from the get-go. No surprises here.
    That not saying much since Sprint was ridiculously bad to awful.

Shentel is another tiny bump in the road like Cspire that will lose customers as the big networks come in with better and cheaper service. Shentel doesn’t have the money with just One million customers to upgrade to 5G, that is the future. As a T-Mobile affiliate they are at risk from being passed by 5G technology and would have to toss out all the Sprint style equipment to move to T-Mobile equipment. Don’t see how Shentel can pay for T-Mobile spectrum and equipment in their area. They could make it work between Shentel and T-Mobile but the would have to rebuild their entire network as T-Mobile with leasing T-Mobile spectrum bands as well as paying T-Mobile for national roaming for there current 1.1 M customers.

Feedback Score
    That not saying much since Sprint was ridiculously bad to awful.

Shentel is another tiny bump in the road like Cspire that will lose customers as the big networks come in with better and cheaper service. Shentel doesn’t have the money with just One million customers to upgrade to 5G, that is the future. As a T-Mobile affiliate they are at risk from being passed by 5G technology and would have to toss out all the Sprint style equipment to move to T-Mobile equipment. Don’t see how Shentel can pay for T-Mobile spectrum and equipment in their area. They could make it work between Shentel and T-Mobile but the would have to rebuild their entire network as T-Mobile with leasing T-Mobile spectrum bands as well as paying T-Mobile for national roaming for there current 1.1 M customers.
    Shentel is another tiny bump in the road like Cspire that will lose customers as the big networks come in with better and cheaper service. <--- That's speculative wouldn't you think? Did prices go down when AT&T bought DIRECTV and Time Warner's media assets or did prices go up? I would think Cspire would look at the climate out there and price accordingly. If T-Mobile is gaining almost 4 million customers a year - why do they need Sprint? I thought T-Mo was having a hard time competing with Verizon and AT&T. With four million adds a year - I don't get it. Do you? Was that more lies like Comcast and AT&T used to get their Mergers approved? We need to invent a truth serum and give these deceitful companies a dose of it!

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Someone explained Shentel an affiliate for Sprint? I understand that operates towers in their converge area for Sprint. However Shentel’s website doesn’t sell Mobile wireless just ISP, wireline phones, fiber optic backbone and cable TV. Sprint sells and bills the Mobile customers in Shentel coverage area. I can see Sprint has spectrum in those areas but I can’t find any spectrum under Shentel or old name Shenandoah. Does Shentel own the towers/equipment and Sprint own the spectrum?

Also, are Shentel’s 1.1 million customers mobile wireless customer or their isp, wireline phones and cable TV customers? Maybe I don’t understand Affiliate since Sprint sells mobile service in Shentel area.

This is what Shentel does and where.

“ Shentel is the exclusive personal communications service (“PCS”) Affiliate of Sprint in a multi-state area covering large portions of central and western Virginia, south-central Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and portions of Maryland, North Carolina, Kentucky, and Ohio“

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jameny5 View Post
    Shentel is another tiny bump in the road like Cspire that will lose customers as the big networks come in with better and cheaper service. <--- That's speculative wouldn't you think? Did prices go down when AT&T bought DIRECTV and Time Warner's media assets or did prices go up? I would think Cspire would look at the climate out there and price accordingly. If T-Mobile is gaining almost 4 million customers a year - why do they need Sprint? I thought T-Mo was having a hard time competing with Verizon and AT&T. With four million adds a year - I don't get it. Do you? Was that more lies like Comcast and AT&T used to get their Mergers approved? We need to invent a truth serum and give these deceitful companies a dose of it!
    Found this statement from Shentel 2019 finical statement to stockholders.

“ Wireless service revenue demonstrated solid growth driven by the net addition of 5,776 postpaid wireless customers and 8,516 prepaid wireless subscribers, including record gross activations for the Boost brand. ” Hold on so many of their wireless customers are being sold to Dish with their sale of Boost.

Shentel served 267,220 wireless prepaid customers at March 31, 2019, an increase of 6.8% over 250,191 subscribers as of March 31, 2018. First quarter prepaid churn was 4.14%, representing an improvement of 28 basis points compared with the prior year.”

Shentel stock is up about 85% higher in the last year with people speculating T-Mobile will buy Shentel. That stock will drop like a rock if that doesn’t happen. So wonder how many of those 267,220 wireless customers are sold with Boost? Sure don’t think T-Mobile wants the cable TV, home ISP or wireline phone business that is the majority of Shentel customers.

Maybe Dish should buy Shentel since they own Boost. One thing for sure Sprint a national company should never gone in business with Shentel that most of their customers are outside of mobile phones service.

Maybe it will be fun to watch the annual Shentel meeting will be held on Tuesday, April 21, 2020, at 11:00 a.m., Eastern Time that has streaming info here. https://investor.shentel.com/news-re...hange-location
    Last edited by shilohcane; 04-11-2020 at 11:33 PM.

Feedback Score
    So wonder how many of those 267,220 wireless customers are sold with Boost?

One thing for sure Sprint a national company should never gone in business with Shentel that most of their customers are outside of mobile phones service.
    I cannot give you exact numbers on the percent of SHENTEL'S prepaid customers that are Boost customers. I'm sure that Boost is subset of total prepaid. DISH has enough on its plate that acquiring SHENTEL should not enter that picture, besides that, IMO the 2 are not a fit; it would be worse that Sprint buying Nextel, which, by the way, was the beginning of the end for Sprint

SHENTEL has 844,000, postpaid customers and that is an excellent book of business for T-Mobile, plus SHENTEL has the towers and the knowledge and the expertice and for that area. Besides that, SHENTEL claims to be 100% LTE and much furtheer ahead that Sprint ever was.

Here is a link to a recent powerpoint presentation that lays it all out as to where SHENTEL is.
    https://investor.shentel.com/static-...f-2dcb6746962f
    On page nine, there is a slide with maps that show where each of the 3 other pre-merger carriers have coverage and where SHENTEL has coverage..

IMO, T-Mobile will be better in the long run to buy established experience, technology and expertice than to try to develop it themselves.

T-Mobile is on a very tight schedule

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast