Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 50

Thread: Is Verizon Still the Best?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,167
    Feedback Score
    0

    Is Verizon Still the Best?

    With AT&T’s implementation of First Net, is Verizon still the best for nationwide coverage and performance?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,794
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    With AT&T’s implementation of First Net, is Verizon still the best for nationwide coverage and performance?
    It's a big country. That is impossible to answer except anecdotally. Vz is slightly better for me, but I rarely leave my little corner of central Virginia. Vz is the only one with good signal and data speed inside my house. Outside and in the car they all work ok.

    Rootmetrics tries to survey such things. Last I looked, they show that Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile are all virtually tied within a few percent in metro areas. What they can't do is survey the whole country between cities and towns. That is where T-Mo generally fails. That said T-Mo is not static. They are building coverage fairly quickly and can do even more with the Sprint spectrum they have acquired.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,985
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    It's a big country. That is impossible to answer except anecdotally. Vz is slightly better for me, but I rarely leave my little corner of central Virginia. Vz is the only one with good signal and data speed inside my house. Outside and in the car they all work ok.

    Rootmetrics tries to survey such things. Last I looked, they show that Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile are all virtually tied within a few percent in metro areas. What they can't do is survey the whole country between cities and towns. That is where T-Mo generally fails. That said T-Mo is not static. They are building coverage fairly quickly and can do even more with the Sprint spectrum they have acquired.
    In due time I think we will have 3 carriers closer to each other in network coverage than ever before


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    567
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    In due time I think we will have 3 carriers closer to each other in network coverage than ever before


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

    Agreed. I don't think it's a coincidence that we have 3 major automakers and 3 major airlines in the U.S., and now 3 major cell carriers. 3 strong companies will probably yield better results in the long run.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,404
    Feedback Score
    0
    I use all three carriers and for me Verizon OVERALL still has the lead in coverage, speed , and reliability. T-Mobile and AT&T do work better at my job and sometimes I work long shifts. In those cases they come in handy for me. T-Mobile and AT&T continue to improve on a large scale ( speeds, coverage, capacity).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,167
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    I use all three carriers and for me Verizon OVERALL still has the lead in coverage, speed , and reliability. T-Mobile and AT&T do work better at my job and sometimes I work long shifts. In those cases they come in handy for me. T-Mobile and AT&T continue to improve on a large scale ( speeds, coverage, capacity).
    How do callers know what number to call to reach you when you have three phones, or do they just call all of your numbers until they contact you?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,794
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    How do callers know what number to call to reach you when you have three phones, or do they just call all of your numbers until they contact you?
    Some of us use Google Voice. GV gives you a free number or you can port a mobile number to be your GV number for $20.

    At its basic level, GV can forward to other numbers, like your real cell numbers or landline. The GV app on the phones can make calls from the phone that send the GV number as the Caller ID.

    I have been doing this for years. It works pretty well. No one knows my actual cell numbers except me.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,266
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    For me Verizon works best in my smallish 100,000 population town. It is the only one that gives me reliable signal wherever I happen to go. Outside of town in rural areas all the others drop off in coverage. When I leave town on road trips using backroads Verizon never lets me down. It’s doubtful I’d ever consider switching. I just prefer the reliable, consistent coverage. YMMV for your area.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    180
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    I believe that Verizon has the farthest-reaching and most stable signal, but I believe that T-Mobile has orders of magnitude faster LTE speed than AT&T and Verizon combined. I've traveled all over the southeastern US using my T-Mobile LG V30+ and while I didn't always have an LTE signal and in many places dropped to even 2G for the most part I still had a signal...my AT&T SIM also dropped it's signal but fewer times less than T-Mobile. T-Mobile however allows me to reach 240-250mbps download and 60mbps up on my device using Speedtest.net when the fastest AT&T signal reached only 110mbps down and Verizon was doing 100mbps. My Sprint device maxes out at only 28mbps and this is on a corporate plan with unlimited internet.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,404
    Feedback Score
    0

    Is Verizon Still the Best?

    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    How do callers know what number to call to reach you when you have three phones, or do they just call all of your numbers until they contact you?
    I set my Verizon line always as my default for calls . Then I use T-Mobile or AT&T for data. Esim is truly a genius idea Apple implemented.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,404
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBrent View Post
    I believe that Verizon has the farthest-reaching and most stable signal, but I believe that T-Mobile has orders of magnitude faster LTE speed than AT&T and Verizon combined. I've traveled all over the southeastern US using my T-Mobile LG V30+ and while I didn't always have an LTE signal and in many places dropped to even 2G for the most part I still had a signal...my AT&T SIM also dropped it's signal but fewer times less than T-Mobile. T-Mobile however allows me to reach 240-250mbps download and 60mbps up on my device using Speedtest.net when the fastest AT&T signal reached only 110mbps down and Verizon was doing 100mbps. My Sprint device maxes out at only 28mbps and this is on a corporate plan with unlimited internet.
    For traveling what I would look for is the most consistent coverage and not necessarily the fastest speeds. I’d rather have a consistent 20-30 Mbps down with reliability than a carrier that drops service but has pockets of 250 Mbps plus download speeds.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,404
    Feedback Score
    0
    I must admit though I’m concerned for Verizon’s future. They don’t have a near term solution to add more capacity to their macro grid. It’s going to be awhile before they can get their hands on licensed C band and CBRS. Their plan is to go bonkers with density and mmW small cells. The question is can they get that coverage to the point where it effectively takes strain off their LTE network. T-Mobile is ready to hit the ground running adding boatloads of capacity to their network. In addition they continue to expand their coverage with 600 MHz.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,049
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBrent View Post
    I believe that Verizon has the farthest-reaching and most stable signal, but I believe that T-Mobile has orders of magnitude faster LTE speed than AT&T and Verizon combined. I've traveled all over the southeastern US using my T-Mobile LG V30+ and while I didn't always have an LTE signal and in many places dropped to even 2G for the most part I still had a signal...my AT&T SIM also dropped it's signal but fewer times less than T-Mobile. T-Mobile however allows me to reach 240-250mbps download and 60mbps up on my device using Speedtest.net when the fastest AT&T signal reached only 110mbps down and Verizon was doing 100mbps. My Sprint device maxes out at only 28mbps and this is on a corporate plan with unlimited internet.
    AT&T has the fastest LTE network according to multiple firms. T-Mobile has actually slipped to third place, behind Sprint. But as always, YMMV. Using the proper phone for the carrier makes all the difference, especially for AT&T having so many different CA combos.

    Name:  IMG_3971.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  23.3 KB

    Name:  IMG_3972.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  22.9 KB



    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

    Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)


    Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    7,421
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    Their plan is to go bonkers with density and mmW small cells. The question is can they get that coverage to the point where it effectively takes strain off their LTE network. T-Mobile is ready to hit the ground running adding boatloads of capacity to their network. In addition they continue to expand their coverage with 600 MHz.
    Yep, the reliance on mm-Wave for 5G seems misguided. Only good for some urban showoffs with expensive phones. 5G has a wide range that all needs to be utilized. T-Mobile went in strong with low-band, and now is starting to deploy their large amount of mid-band. It is obvious to me that VZW has an overload on LTE from the deterioration seen over the last couple of years in my area. I get far less signal power and speeds than before.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    180
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    AT&T has the fastest LTE network according to multiple firms. T-Mobile has actually slipped to third place, behind Sprint. But as always, YMMV. Using the proper phone for the carrier makes all the difference, especially for AT&T having so many different CA combos.

    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    I certainly can't argue there. I'll be with T-mo for the foreseeable future just because it much more friendly on my wallet while giving me insane data speeds that even after deprioritization are still above 100mbps, but not everyone is going to have the same experience that I've had. I'm sure in other parts of the country that AT&T and Verizon can easily outperform T-mobile, but I do hope that once T-moprint happens that the combined company can finally compete with the big two more efficiently while still keeping the same low prices that I've been used to now since they started the Uncarrier movement.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is Verizon Still the Best for Coverage?
    By CellGeek in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 07-23-2019, 09:54 PM
  2. Is Verizon Still The Best?
    By CellGeek in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 10-25-2017, 08:09 PM
  3. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-19-2009, 09:27 AM
  4. Is Facade still the best
    By spartanrob in forum Samsung
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2008, 09:05 PM
  5. Is Kevtris Still the Best Tetris Out There?
    By coronet in forum Windows Mobile Standard (Smartphone)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 08:41 AM

Bookmarks