Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is Verizon Still the Best?

Feedback Score

Is Verizon Still the Best?

With AT&T’s implementation of First Net, is Verizon still the best for nationwide coverage and performance?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    With AT&T’s implementation of First Net, is Verizon still the best for nationwide coverage and performance?
    It's a big country. That is impossible to answer except anecdotally. Vz is slightly better for me, but I rarely leave my little corner of central Virginia. Vz is the only one with good signal and data speed inside my house. Outside and in the car they all work ok.

Rootmetrics tries to survey such things. Last I looked, they show that Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile are all virtually tied within a few percent in metro areas. What they can't do is survey the whole country between cities and towns. That is where T-Mo generally fails. That said T-Mo is not static. They are building coverage fairly quickly and can do even more with the Sprint spectrum they have acquired.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    It's a big country. That is impossible to answer except anecdotally. Vz is slightly better for me, but I rarely leave my little corner of central Virginia. Vz is the only one with good signal and data speed inside my house. Outside and in the car they all work ok.

Rootmetrics tries to survey such things. Last I looked, they show that Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile are all virtually tied within a few percent in metro areas. What they can't do is survey the whole country between cities and towns. That is where T-Mo generally fails. That said T-Mo is not static. They are building coverage fairly quickly and can do even more with the Sprint spectrum they have acquired.
    In due time I think we will have 3 carriers closer to each other in network coverage than ever before

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    In due time I think we will have 3 carriers closer to each other in network coverage than ever before

Agreed. I don't think it's a coincidence that we have 3 major automakers and 3 major airlines in the U.S., and now 3 major cell carriers. 3 strong companies will probably yield better results in the long run.

Feedback Score
    I use all three carriers and for me Verizon OVERALL still has the lead in coverage, speed , and reliability. T-Mobile and AT&T do work better at my job and sometimes I work long shifts. In those cases they come in handy for me. T-Mobile and AT&T continue to improve on a large scale ( speeds, coverage, capacity).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    I use all three carriers and for me Verizon OVERALL still has the lead in coverage, speed , and reliability. T-Mobile and AT&T do work better at my job and sometimes I work long shifts. In those cases they come in handy for me. T-Mobile and AT&T continue to improve on a large scale ( speeds, coverage, capacity).
    How do callers know what number to call to reach you when you have three phones, or do they just call all of your numbers until they contact you?

Feedback Score
    How do callers know what number to call to reach you when you have three phones, or do they just call all of your numbers until they contact you?
    Some of us use Google Voice. GV gives you a free number or you can port a mobile number to be your GV number for $20.

At its basic level, GV can forward to other numbers, like your real cell numbers or landline. The GV app on the phones can make calls from the phone that send the GV number as the Caller ID.

I have been doing this for years. It works pretty well. No one knows my actual cell numbers except me.

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    For me Verizon works best in my smallish 100,000 population town. It is the only one that gives me reliable signal wherever I happen to go. Outside of town in rural areas all the others drop off in coverage. When I leave town on road trips using backroads Verizon never lets me down. It’s doubtful I’d ever consider switching. I just prefer the reliable, consistent coverage. YMMV for your area.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I believe that Verizon has the farthest-reaching and most stable signal, but I believe that T-Mobile has orders of magnitude faster LTE speed than AT&T and Verizon combined. I've traveled all over the southeastern US using my T-Mobile LG V30+ and while I didn't always have an LTE signal and in many places dropped to even 2G for the most part I still had a signal...my AT&T SIM also dropped it's signal but fewer times less than T-Mobile. T-Mobile however allows me to reach 240-250mbps download and 60mbps up on my device using Speedtest.net when the fastest AT&T signal reached only 110mbps down and Verizon was doing 100mbps. My Sprint device maxes out at only 28mbps and this is on a corporate plan with unlimited internet.

Feedback Score

Is Verizon Still the Best?

I set my Verizon line always as my default for calls . Then I use T-Mobile or AT&T for data. Esim is truly a genius idea Apple implemented.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBrent View Post
    I believe that Verizon has the farthest-reaching and most stable signal, but I believe that T-Mobile has orders of magnitude faster LTE speed than AT&T and Verizon combined. I've traveled all over the southeastern US using my T-Mobile LG V30+ and while I didn't always have an LTE signal and in many places dropped to even 2G for the most part I still had a signal...my AT&T SIM also dropped it's signal but fewer times less than T-Mobile. T-Mobile however allows me to reach 240-250mbps download and 60mbps up on my device using Speedtest.net when the fastest AT&T signal reached only 110mbps down and Verizon was doing 100mbps. My Sprint device maxes out at only 28mbps and this is on a corporate plan with unlimited internet.
    For traveling what I would look for is the most consistent coverage and not necessarily the fastest speeds. I’d rather have a consistent 20-30 Mbps down with reliability than a carrier that drops service but has pockets of 250 Mbps plus download speeds.

Feedback Score
    I must admit though I’m concerned for Verizon’s future. They don’t have a near term solution to add more capacity to their macro grid. It’s going to be awhile before they can get their hands on licensed C band and CBRS. Their plan is to go bonkers with density and mmW small cells. The question is can they get that coverage to the point where it effectively takes strain off their LTE network. T-Mobile is ready to hit the ground running adding boatloads of capacity to their network. In addition they continue to expand their coverage with 600 MHz.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBrent View Post
    AT&T has the fastest LTE network according to multiple firms. T-Mobile has actually slipped to third place, behind Sprint. But as always, YMMV. Using the proper phone for the carrier makes all the difference, especially for AT&T having so many different CA combos.

Name:  IMG_3971.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  23.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3972.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  22.9 KB

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    Their plan is to go bonkers with density and mmW small cells. The question is can they get that coverage to the point where it effectively takes strain off their LTE network. T-Mobile is ready to hit the ground running adding boatloads of capacity to their network. In addition they continue to expand their coverage with 600 MHz.
    Yep, the reliance on mm-Wave for 5G seems misguided. Only good for some urban showoffs with expensive phones. 5G has a wide range that all needs to be utilized. T-Mobile went in strong with low-band, and now is starting to deploy their large amount of mid-band. It is obvious to me that VZW has an overload on LTE from the deterioration seen over the last couple of years in my area. I get far less signal power and speeds than before.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    AT&T has the fastest LTE network according to multiple firms. T-Mobile has actually slipped to third place, behind Sprint. But as always, YMMV. Using the proper phone for the carrier makes all the difference, especially for AT&T having so many different CA combos.

I certainly can't argue there. I'll be with T-mo for the foreseeable future just because it much more friendly on my wallet while giving me insane data speeds that even after deprioritization are still above 100mbps, but not everyone is going to have the same experience that I've had. I'm sure in other parts of the country that AT&T and Verizon can easily outperform T-mobile, but I do hope that once T-moprint happens that the combined company can finally compete with the big two more efficiently while still keeping the same low prices that I've been used to now since they started the Uncarrier movement.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast