Thread: Metro by T-Mobile Terminates Non-Exclusive Dealers

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Metro by T-Mobile Terminates Non-Exclusive Dealers

And it begins...

Metro is pulling their products and services from any independent dealers who also sell any other brands of wireless service. I guess someone is concerned that when presented with choices, consumers might not choose Metro.

Good thing T-Mo is too hip, cool and Uncarrier to abuse their new triopoly power...

From the Nation Wireless Independent Dealer Association website:

https://nwida.org/metro-terminates-n...dealers?ref=hs

"We have confirmed, from multiple sources, that Metro by T-Mobile has, in fact, terminated all non-exclusive stores.

"We believe this is between 250-750 stores (we’re still getting information in) and they have been given 120 day termination notice.

"This should mean that these stores WON’T close, only that they will no longer be allowed to sell Metro by T-Mobile. We are assisting any store effected to transition to other brands."

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Yeah I feel for the effected stores. I also understand T-Mo wanting unified branding exclusivity.

Most of the multi-brand stores I have seen have a high aura of sleaze. I understand why T-Mo does not want to be associated with that.

I can't get a Whopper with McDonalds fries. It is the way of things.

Feedback Score
    The Metro authorized dealer stores in my area do not sell other phone products AFAIK. They don't look any different than the Metro corporate stores. All are small and in shopping centers.

Yes, the multi-brand stores can be in some sleazy places.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Metro by T-Mobile Terminates Non-Exclusive Dealers

Yeah T-Mobile has always been aggressive with who sells their products.

Over the years they pulled themselves from Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target and Costco depending on region.

I guess they are adding non-exclusive dealers to that list.

Metro is not always the cheapest prepaid option. I can see how dealers would push competing products/services for a clientele already very price sensitive.

My guess is that Magenta ran the analytics and decided they don’t want to compete there.

From what I read from a friend on LinkedIn some of these dealers were not selling any Metro products at all month to month.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Yeah T-Mobile has always been aggressive with who sells their products.

Over the years they pulled themselves from Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target and Costco depending on region.

I guess they are adding non-exclusive dealers to that list.

Metro is not always the cheapest prepaid option. I can see how dealers would push competing products/services for a clientele already very price sensitive.

My guess is that Magenta ran the analytics and decided they don’t want to compete there.

From what I read from a friend on LinkedIn some of these dealers were not selling any Metro products at all month to month.

I can believe a lot of indie dealers don't sell a lot of product, but if that really was T-Mo's problem, they could institute sales minimums rather than a blanket termination of all multi-brand indies.

Maybe this just hits me to close to home. I was an indie dealer way back in the 90's and Cingular (now AT&T) pulled this on me. Since Cingular made up the bulk of my cellular business, I kept them and dropped Voicestream (now T-Mo) when Cingular forced exclusivity on me.

Current exclusive (Metro-only) indies currently unaffected by this should have a solid exit strategy in place, IMO. Post merger, I suspect T-Mo's retail game will be in wild flux, and I wouldn't want all my eggs in Metro's basket if my livelyhood depended on it.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Yeah I feel for the effected stores. I also understand T-Mo wanting unified branding exclusivity.

Most of the multi-brand stores I have seen have a high aura of sleaze. I understand why T-Mo does not want to be associated with that.

I can't get a Whopper with McDonalds fries. It is the way of things.
    Every Metro store I've every visited, whether corporate or indie, were running at Sleaze Factor 10, so I doubt that's the issue.

I've been waiting for T-Mo's corporate culture to rub of on Metro, but it doesn't seem to have happened yet...

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Every Metro store I've every visited, whether corporate or indie, were running at Sleaze Factor 10, so I doubt that's the issue.

I've been waiting for T-Mo's corporate culture to rub of on Metro, but it doesn't seem to have happened yet...

Metro stores spam Craigslist in my area. They're like every third ad. That always soured me on even trying to deal with them.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Lots of people are buying cheap penny on the dollar plans from relatively unheard of MVNO’s online. New ones seem to pop up everyday. Just visit the prepaid side of HoFo if you haven’t lately and you’ll find our what I mean.

I’m not familiar with Metro’s business model; and I’m not sure what T-Mobile’s long term plans are for the brand with respect to their own branded one.

I do think though that in times like these; especially times like these; and going forward Metro could use a little less bloat and focus on online sales and modernizing the way they do business.

Best of luck to the Metro team!

Feedback Score
    Current exclusive (Metro-only) indies currently unaffected by this should have a solid exit strategy in place, IMO. Post merger, I suspect T-Mo's retail game will be in wild flux, and I wouldn't want all my eggs in Metro's basket if my livelyhood depended on it.
    Metro went the way of Sprint's Boost with small low volume stores. Verizon and AT&T sell prepaid out their own branded stores. Not sure why they abandoned multi-brand stores like Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc. The sad thing was the loss of Radio Shack, which sold everything before the Sprint takeover at the end. These were not sleazeball stores, and could be quite good with a competent manager.

Feedback Score
    Good thing T-Mo is too hip, cool and Uncarrier to abuse their new triopoly power...
    This isn't any "abuse". This is simply Metro wanting their products put front and center or not at all. It's a business decision.

Just like this business decision that you made:

"I was an indie dealer way back in the 90's and Cingular (now AT&T) pulled this on me. Since Cingular made up the bulk of my cellular business, I kept them and dropped Voicestream (now T-Mo) when Cingular forced exclusivity on me. "

You dropped Voicestream (which explains a lot considering your current constant criticism of T-mobile.)

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    This isn't any "abuse". This is simply Metro wanting their products put front and center or not at all. It's a business decision.

Just like this business decision that you made:

"I was an indie dealer way back in the 90's and Cingular (now AT&T) pulled this on me. Since Cingular made up the bulk of my cellular business, I kept them and dropped Voicestream (now T-Mo) when Cingular forced exclusivity on me. "

You dropped Voicestream (which explains a lot considering your current constant criticism of T-mobile.)
    Of course it was a business decision. Every decision any business makes is a business decision designed to benefit the business. I'm not suggesting T-Mo doesn't have every right to do it. It just seems like strange timing that T-Mo would start waging war on indie dealers the very week they graduated to the big kids' table, and I'm just pointing out this is just the first of many "business decisions" from New T-Mo that might not look a lot like the ones we're used to seeing from old T-Mo.

My biggest fear since this merger started has always been that the only difference between consumer-friendly "Uncarrier" T-Mo, and consumer-hostile AT&T and Verizon was 20 points of market share.

Because Cingular's abuse of indie dealers over two decades ago somehow turned me against T-Mo? Right.

Sure, I criticize T-Mo a bit, because they're my carrier, and I want them to be better. Michael Moore wrote in one of his books that only your real friends will tell you that your dress makes you look fat when you ask them, even if it hurts your feelings.

Yes, I dropped Voicestream as a product as a business decision. I used them as my personal carrier, however, from then until today. (In fact, I remember having to be careful to limit myself to using Voicestream phones that could pass as Cingular phones, lest my potential customers notice I wasn't using the service I was selling. My cute little GSM Nokia 8290 helped sell a lot of AMPS/TDMA Nokia 8260 phones for Cingular back in the day!)

My store was at the edge of Voicestream coverage in the southeastern suburbs of Kansas City, MO. Half my customer base was from the surrounding rural areas "coming into town" to shop. Dropping Cingular to keep Voicestream would've been business suicide. I did get a small bit of revenge against Cingular, though. After they forced me to drop Voicestream, I signed up as a Verizon* pager dealer. I don't think I sold more than a half dozen pagers the entire time was store was open (the pager business was already dying because of cellphones) but it allowed me to hang a pair of large obnoxious "Verizon Authorized Dealer" signs in the store window (Verizon obviously being the far bigger competitor to Cingular than wee little Voicestream was at the time.)

When my Cingular rep blew his top complaining about the large Verizon signs prominently displayed in my Cingular dealership, I pointed out how much smaller and more tasteful the old Voicestream signs had been, and maybe Cingular shouldn't have upset the apple cart. He wasn't amused.

(*It might not have been "Verizon", but "Cell One". Forgive me, but it was over twenty years ago. Mergers and acquisitions kept a lot of branding in flux in those days. In the four or five years my store was open in KC, Southwestern Bell Cellular became Cingular, Airtouch transitioned to Cell One then almost immediately to Verizon, and Voicestream became T-Mobile. The only constant in those days was Sprint!

Feedback Score
    Of course it was a business decision. Every decision any business makes is a business decision designed to benefit the business. I'm not suggesting T-Mo doesn't have every right to do it.
    But you did suggest it was "abuse".

Because Cingular's abuse of indie dealers over two decades ago somehow turned me against T-Mo? Right.
    I thought it was interesting that you admitted that your bias against T-Mobile has roots going back to their Voicestream days.

Sure, I criticize T-Mo a bit, because they're my carrier, and I want them to be better.
    Well we know that is not true. You've been adamantly opposed to this merger which makes their coverage and service better. What you wanted was a low price value carrier that wasn't as good as the duopoly. What you also wanted for Sprint's customers, was for them to remain saddled with a company that was losing money and had service performance that constantly ranked lower than the other 3 in most major markets.

So let's not start saying you want them "to be better". Your past statements have said otherwise.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    My personal guess is that this is being done to limit the layoffs T-Mobile will have to do. With T-Mobile absorbing the Sprint stores -- many of which are located near T-Mobile stores, it wouldn't surprise me if they have a strategy where they'll convert some of the Sprint stores into Metro PCS stores. This both helps with the number of jobs that T-Mobile promised the various AGs they'd keep in each state, as well as limiting the amount of severance T-Mobile will pay out.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    My personal guess is that this is being done to limit the layoffs T-Mobile will have to do. With T-Mobile absorbing the Sprint stores -- many of which are located near T-Mobile stores, it wouldn't surprise me if they have a strategy where they'll convert some of the Sprint stores into Metro PCS stores. This both helps with the number of jobs that T-Mobile promised the various AGs they'd keep in each state, as well as limiting the amount of severance T-Mobile will pay out.
    I suspect many (possibly most) of those overlapping personnel/retail resources are going to Dish/Boost. That is still a ways away from happening, but the current retail situation will help T-Mobile find logistically inferior resources to shed to Dish.

I doubt many overlapping storefronts will be converted to Metro.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    But you did suggest it was "abuse".

I thought it was interesting that you admitted that your bias against T-Mobile has roots going back to their Voicestream days.
    An abuse of power, yes. Ever sign a contract with a billion dollar company? Even the term "one-sided" seems insufficient to describe the balance of power.

I used to think you were just an unabashed cheerleader, but now I suspect you also have a reading comprehension problem. How did you manage to read into the prior post that I had a bias against *Voicestream* (now T-Mo) because *Cingular* (now AT&T) forced me to drop Voicestream by enforcing a non-compete? How could I blame anyone but Cingular for leveraging a one-way contract against me? Voicestream had absolutely no problem (at least then!) with multi-brand dealers.

Well we know that is not true. You've been adamantly opposed to this merger which makes their coverage and service better. What you wanted was a low price value carrier that wasn't as good as the duopoly. What you also wanted for Sprint's customers, was for them to remain saddled with a company that was losing money and had service performance that constantly ranked lower than the other 3 in most major markets.

So let's not start saying you want them "to be better". Your past statements have said otherwise.

The fallacy in your argument is the assumption that "anti-merger" automatically made me anti-T-Mobile. It only makes me pro-consumer. Even if I end up being wrong about the results of the merger, my motives were/are always transparent: my opposition to the merger has always been about the potential loss of jobs, potentially higher prices, effects on MVNOs who exist to compete with T-Mo on the lower end, etc. Only the zealots here think any criticism of T-Mo is obviously a pro-duopoly plot to discredit their competitor. If/when T-Mo is anti-consumer or anti-competitive, calling them on it doesn't make you "pro-AT&T", it makes you pro-consumer.

Only on a cell phone forum does a business merger become a flag-waving power struggle between disciples of AT&T, Verizon or T-Mo, and not what it really is in the rest of the world: a power struggle between the interests of corporations, government regulators, and consumers. (Spoiler alert- I'm *ALWAYS* on the side of consumers, because I AM one!)

If I'm dead wrong, and this merger ends up being the best thing to happen to cellular consumers since the PCS hands were opened up, I'll be happy to be wrong. (Your smugness about it will likely be hard to take, but it'll still be worth it.) Why would I be happy that the market gets worse for everyone "*including me*? So I can "win" on a forgotten bulletin board read by tens of strangers?

So yes, I want T-Mo to be better. A better *competitor*. Better for (and to) their customers. Based on the last few years, they seem to be better when they're hungrier, seeing how they offered better promotions, pricing, and *policies* even just a few years ago compared to today, at the pinnacle of their success. The stronger T-Mo gets, the less different they seem vs. the other big two. (Exhibit A your honor? A $25 "Uncarrier" SIM card. Thank God uncarrier T-Mo got rid of all those "pain points" like activation fees! Maybe the next Uncarrier move will be making the Team of Experts only reachable by a 900-number to "insure greater availability and lower hold times!")°

I think we're just seeing the beginnings of the "power corrupts" dynamic. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not going to pretend everything T-Mo does is blessed from on high just because the guy doing it is wearing "my" team colors. If a video of JL whipping a puppy landed on YouTube, at least five people here would post the puppy had it coming!

I also find it amuing how badly you p*ss on Sprint, and claim they are too far gone to have been redeemable, when they, pre-merger, we're almost in the exact same shape- buried in debt and a lousy network, that T-Mo was in back in 2011 before the failed merger with AT&T. But in your narrative there's no amount of money or skilled leadership that could save them (despite that being the exact formula that turned T-Mo around a decade ago.)

You do realize there are millions of Sprint customers happy with Sprint pricing and service, don't you? And as far as I'm aware, not a single Sprint customer has "Paul" holding a yellow revolver to their head forcing them to remain with Sprint. (Ironically, the Sprint Reddit has a few threads with nervous currently happy Sprint customers worried that T-Mo will somehow "ruin" what they currently have with Sprint!)

You want to have it both ways- praising Lord Legere for building T-Mo into a world-class carrier (which he did), and bragging about T-Mo's consistent multi-year lead in new wireless acquisitions on one hand, all while pretending T-Mo would be woefully incapable of competing without the merger on the other (just like T-Mo did!)

T-Mo had a good contingency plan to compete in 5G without Sprint (it's all in the original filings, with specific numbers redacted as proprietary info. Short version: they'd get there, but it'd take longer and require buying more spectrum). The dog and pony show T-Mo and Sprint both put on for the Feds pretending they were both impossibly hamstrung without the other didn't completely jibe with either their regulatory filings or their stockholder communications.

But, it worked, and we now live in a world with three national cell carriers and a DBS company turned T-Mo MVNO pretending it's the fourth. DISH's only prior wireless experience is buying and hoarding spectrum and refusing to ever use it. From where I'm standing, this Brave New World looks pretty bleak for consumers, but god as my witness, I hope I'm wrong!

(°Now I'm waiting for the first of the Faithful to chime in and explain exactly why charging $25 for SIM cards is actually better for T-Mo's customers than the $1-5 they used to charge...)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast