Thread: Android with reliable performance from Mint?

Feedback Score

Android with reliable performance from Mint?

Hi,

I'm having the usual problems with Mint Mobile - missed calls going direct to voicemail and delayed texts.

I'm on NYC so coverage isn't a problem. I have a Moto G7 so no VoLTE for me and fixes so far haven't worked.

I'm wondering if it's an issue with wireless bands that Mint Mobile uses but my Moto G7 isn't equipped for.

In any event, is there an unlocked android phone in the $300-$400 price range that anyone has had solid, reliable performance using Mint (no missed calls direct to voicemail/no delayed texts) or is this just the price I pay for a low priced service like Mint?

Thanks for any insights!

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk BYOP
    Feedback Score

Android with reliable performance from Mint?

First of all mint is an mvno of T-Mobile and also the Moto g7 should work with volte just fine as I have 3 motos a e4,g6 and a z3 and all work on volte just fine... to me it sounds like you either have A: bad T-Mobile signal where your at or B: your phone is unlocked from another carrier such as att or Verizon in which case it may not work well on T-Mobile network as some bands would be disabled by the carrier and there firmware would be customized for there network... one final thing to check is if your using the correct APN settings also.

Here they are: https://www.mintmobile.com/setup-for-android/
    "Oh Peter I absolutely love what you've done with the place... It's so sterile, so bland, so wonderful!"

Queen Latifah

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie_Vegas View Post
    Hi,

I'm having the usual problems with Mint Mobile - missed calls going direct to voicemail and delayed texts.

I'm on NYC so coverage isn't a problem. I have a Moto G7 so no VoLTE for me and fixes so far haven't worked.

I'm wondering if it's an issue with wireless bands that Mint Mobile uses but my Moto G7 isn't equipped for.

In any event, is there an unlocked android phone in the $300-$400 price range that anyone has had solid, reliable performance using Mint (no missed calls direct to voicemail/no delayed texts) or is this just the price I pay for a low priced service like Mint?

Thanks for any insights!
    This is probably not a Mint issue, but a T-Mobile issue. Where did you get your G7? If it's factory unlocked direct from Motorola, you shouldn't be having this issue. If it's a carrier-branded unlocked G7 from any carrier but T-Mo, it's a VoLTE compatibility problem.

There's a long ongoing issue with T-Mobile that they've acknowledged but refuse to fix (understandably) where phones that support LTE but do not support non-VoLTE on T-Mo have a large percentage of calls go straight to voice mail. Since this only affects a relatively small number of phones (non-iPhone and non-Samsung phones not sold by T-Mo and not specifically tested and certified by either T-Mo or their manufacturer for VoLTE compatibility on T-Mo) T-Mo hasn't bothered wasting resources on correcting the issue. (Moto certifies the factory unlocked handsets they sell, so they should work fine on VoLTE. Carrier-branded Moto handsets only support VoLTE for the branded carrier.

For incoming calls, the cell tower and phone negotiate the best compatible voice connection they share (in order of preference: VoLTE, HSPDA/3G, then EDGE/GSM), both switch to the agreed system, then the phone accepts the incoming call and rings. (You'll probably note your data indicator drops from LTE to "H", "3G", "E" when an incoming call does come in properly.)

Unfortunately, all too often on phones with this issue, the handshake takes so long figuring out the phone's VoLTE isn't compatible with T-Mo's, that the call rolls to voicemail before the tower and phone ever "agree" on a compatible network to meet on.

Back when I was using Windows Phones exclusively, I often used unlocked AT&T phones as my daily driver (at the time, AT&T offered a better selection of Windows Phones than T-Mo, but unfortunately these only supported AT&T's VoLTE), and after T-Mo launched VoLTE, I noticed a lot of my calls started going directly to voicemail. I opened a number of support tickets with T-Mo, and T-Mo's customer service while excellent, didn't food the problem. Over a period of a couple of months they had multiple technicians come out and check my local tower (at first, I noticed the problem at my house, before realizing it was widespread), offered me monthly bill credits for my trouble while the issue was being investigated, and frankly they put up with a lot of whining and complaining from me!

After three or four months of investigating complaints from me (and apparently others), T-Mo finally determined the cause of the problem and basically told me the issue affected so few customers they had no intention of trying to fix it, and offered to sell me a discounted T-Mobile branded phone to "solve" my problem. Frankly I appreciated their offer and their candor and fully understood that some issues are easier, simpler and cheaper to avoid than fix (as VoLTE becomes universal, and 2G and 3G networks are depreciated, the problem eventually goes away, so how much effort or resources should T-Mo expend on this for a very small number of users, particularly when they could just appease most of them with a discounted compatible handset.)

As it turned out, I declined T-Mo's offer (I already had compatible T-Mo devices, but used the unlocked AT&T handsets by choice) and instead used a variety of workarounds, the most effective being forcing my phone to use 3G instead of 4G (as long as the phone wasn't connected to LTE when incoming calls came in, the phone would always ring, and frankly for most uses, 3G was plenty fast enough when I wasn't connected to WiFi.)

(Another workaround that could help on the G7 would be installing the Google Voice app and forwarding unanswered calls to Google Voice, so when your phone didn't ring, the Google Voice app would then ring instead.)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I'm using a Moto G7 with Mint and I have VoLTE enabled, it's working fine. I have WiFi Calling preferred, though.

Is the "VoLTE provisioned" option on or off when you go to the secret menu (dial *#*#4636#*#* and select Phone Information)?

Sent from my moto g(7) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    My Samsung Galaxy S10e is rock Solid on Mint. Everything works. No issues at all. Sms/MMS works. WIFI Is is rock Solid. Hotspot works. Phone picks up band 71. The S10e is a perfect T-mobile phone.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Netboy76 View Post
    First of all mint is an mvno of T-Mobile and also the Moto g7 should work with volte just fine as I have 3 motos a e4,g6 and a z3 and all work on volte just fine... to me it sounds like you either have A: bad T-Mobile signal where your at or B: your phone is unlocked from another carrier such as att or Verizon in which case it may not work well on T-Mobile network as some bands would be disabled by the carrier and there firmware would be customized for there network... one final thing to check is if your using the correct APN settings also.

Here they are: https://www.mintmobile.com/setup-for-android/
    Thanks for the detailed insights, I appreciate it very much!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    This is probably not a Mint issue, but a T-Mobile issue. Where did you get your G7? If it's factory unlocked direct from Motorola, you shouldn't be having this issue. If it's a carrier-branded unlocked G7 from any carrier but T-Mo, it's a VoLTE compatibility problem.

There's a long ongoing issue with T-Mobile that they've acknowledged but refuse to fix (understandably) where phones that support LTE but do not support non-VoLTE on T-Mo have a large percentage of calls go straight to voice mail. Since this only affects a relatively small number of phones (non-iPhone and non-Samsung phones not sold by T-Mo and not specifically tested and certified by either T-Mo or their manufacturer for VoLTE compatibility on T-Mo) T-Mo hasn't bothered wasting resources on correcting the issue. (Moto certifies the factory unlocked handsets they sell, so they should work fine on VoLTE. Carrier-branded Moto handsets only support VoLTE for the branded carrier.

For incoming calls, the cell tower and phone negotiate the best compatible voice connection they share (in order of preference: VoLTE, HSPDA/3G, then EDGE/GSM), both switch to the agreed system, then the phone accepts the incoming call and rings. (You'll probably note your data indicator drops from LTE to "H", "3G", "E" when an incoming call does come in properly.)

Unfortunately, all too often on phones with this issue, the handshake takes so long figuring out the phone's VoLTE isn't compatible with T-Mo's, that the call rolls to voicemail before the tower and phone ever "agree" on a compatible network to meet on.

Back when I was using Windows Phones exclusively, I often used unlocked AT&T phones as my daily driver (at the time, AT&T offered a better selection of Windows Phones than T-Mo, but unfortunately these only supported AT&T's VoLTE), and after T-Mo launched VoLTE, I noticed a lot of my calls started going directly to voicemail. I opened a number of support tickets with T-Mo, and T-Mo's customer service while excellent, didn't food the problem. Over a period of a couple of months they had multiple technicians come out and check my local tower (at first, I noticed the problem at my house, before realizing it was widespread), offered me monthly bill credits for my trouble while the issue was being investigated, and frankly they put up with a lot of whining and complaining from me!

After three or four months of investigating complaints from me (and apparently others), T-Mo finally determined the cause of the problem and basically told me the issue affected so few customers they had no intention of trying to fix it, and offered to sell me a discounted T-Mobile branded phone to "solve" my problem. Frankly I appreciated their offer and their candor and fully understood that some issues are easier, simpler and cheaper to avoid than fix (as VoLTE becomes universal, and 2G and 3G networks are depreciated, the problem eventually goes away, so how much effort or resources should T-Mo expend on this for a very small number of users, particularly when they could just appease most of them with a discounted compatible handset.)

As it turned out, I declined T-Mo's offer (I already had compatible T-Mo devices, but used the unlocked AT&T handsets by choice) and instead used a variety of workarounds, the most effective being forcing my phone to use 3G instead of 4G (as long as the phone wasn't connected to LTE when incoming calls came in, the phone would always ring, and frankly for most uses, 3G was plenty fast enough when I wasn't connected to WiFi.)

(Another workaround that could help on the G7 would be installing the Google Voice app and forwarding unanswered calls to Google Voice, so when your phone didn't ring, the Google Voice app would then ring instead.)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for taking the time for writing such a detailed, informative post! You gave me a lot to work with! Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by damackdog View Post
    I'm using a Moto G7 with Mint and I have VoLTE enabled, it's working fine. I have WiFi Calling preferred, though.

Is the "VoLTE provisioned" option on or off when you go to the secret menu (dial *#*#4636#*#* and select Phone Information)?

Sent from my moto g(7) using HoFo mobile app
    Thanks, I appreciate the info!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandelstamm1 View Post
    My Samsung Galaxy S10e is rock Solid on Mint. Everything works. No issues at all. Sms/MMS works. WIFI Is is rock Solid. Hotspot works. Phone picks up band 71. The S10e is a perfect T-mobile phone.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using HoFo mobile app
    Thanks for the recommendation and for sharing your great experience!