Thread: help! new unactivated phone auto-dialing *22889

Feedback Score

help! new unactivated phone auto-dialing *22889

My new out-of-the-box unactivated PP MOTO G6 keeps auto-dialing *22889 the instant I turn it on. I think it once connected to US Cellular before I could hang up (PRL update?)

PP said it is already activated on a network and they can't activate it. I wouldn't bet the farm on that since another agent gave me the impression it was able to be activated. One could easily get a heart attach dealing with page plus. I can barely hear them. They must be on the moon. Once they transferred me to an agent that could help me, and I ended up in Simple Mobile!

I want a standard PAYG plan, which doesn't seem the be an option on the online activation site.

For fun I tried calling a number and it said "welcome to Verizon", but said they needed to transfer me in order to make a call with a credit card. The 'about phone' section shown no phone number.

I can't talk to anyone at Verizon to see if it got activated there, so that it could be deactivated. Maybe during a week day I can.

Any advice appreciated. I'll try the customer service again tomorrow when I'm not so wound up.

I tried the search function of the forum, but it wasn't cooperating.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I remember when I got my Total Wireless G7 Optimo Maxx which got rebranded to Straight Talk did the auto-dial to *22899 on its own about a month after turning it on. I could not figure out why it did that too.

Where did you get it from? Sounds like it was not activated from the source, or it was another one of these Affirm/Quality One Wireless issue like this one: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...from-Page-Plus

Feedback Score
    Purchased directly through PP via their website. Came in a PP box. The Moto G6 they are presently showing.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    OK, then they could have not activated for use at the warehouse then.

If you want to know why I was checking, that thread that I linked talks about both sites that are on the PagePlus site, and they look like they are PagePlus sites. On https://www.pagepluscellular.com/phones/ right now, there is only seven phones on the true PagePlus store. All the other phones on that page is from https://www.pageplusphonestore.com/. So if it was ordered from https://www.pageplusphonestore.com/, it could have had issue.

Feedback Score
    So, I stumbled on a PP activation page other than the one that requires you to sign up for a monthly plan. The MEID and sim checked out and I bought a pin and the phone was activated. It now has a number. But I can’t call or text or receive anything because there is a restriction on the device. Trying to call I get Verizon announcement 24—restrictions on device. This must be result of the auto-dialing *22889 before proper activation? It may be some sort of family restriction of Verizon. I’ll try a PP chat tomorrow to see what they say.

Feedback Score
    So now, the following morning, I created an online account at PP and associated it with the phone number and I then received a text from PP. The phone is now working. I don't know if the restriction was lifted overnight by whatever agency had placed it there, or the act of creating an account caused it. Today is looking better than I thought it was going to be. Henceforth I will either not even turn a new phone on before it is activated, or if I do I will instantly put it in airplane mode.
    Last edited by haryo; 04-06-2020 at 09:23 PM.