Feedback Score

Att Voice only Coverage, Does it match Verizon's Coverage

Does ATT's voice only match Verizon's coverage

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    It really depends on the area, but overall Verizon does have more voice coverage. I personally find Verizon has more indoor antennas in Mall's, Hospital's, etc.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It varies largely by market. In the last 3 markets/states I've lived in, coverage appeared similar (similar signal bars, etc.) but AT&T regularly dropped calls even with a decent signal. This happened with multiple phones over the years, so it wasn't a problem with the device. I've switched back and forth from Verizon to AT&T 3-4 times in the past 13-14 years. I almost never drop a call with Verizon (this wasn't always the case however). I've been with them now for the past 4+ years and don't plan on ever switching back to AT&T again.

My wife has an AT&T work phone through her employer and our personal phones are on Verizon. She drives all around our metropolitan area (San Diego) for work and she DEFINITELY drops more calls on her AT&T work phone vs. her personal phone with Verizon. YMMV however.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    No two carriers' networks exactly "match" each other. I know places where AT&T has good service while Verizon struggles and vice versa. Heck, I've been in places with a good T-Mobile signal where neither AT&T nor Verizon worked. Generally, Verizon is credited with having the best coverage. AT&T is catching up. If you want the absolute best coverage, get a SatPhone.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score

Indeed. But what is still unknown is how much (if any) Verizon’s coverage will suffer once CDMA is retired later this year.

That said, after recently switching from AT&T (after 25yrs) to Verizon I find that one “bar” of Verizon LTE on my XSM is perfectly usable, whereas two bars on AT&T was often Iffy.

I know bars are BS, but I often have to remind myself when I see one bar, occasionally, on Verizon not to panics. If I run a speed test I still usually get at least 20-30 Mbit/s.

I do t think I’ve ever seen no service yet (on Verizon) since I’ve switched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    Indeed. But what is still unknown is how much (if any) Verizon’s coverage will suffer once CDMA is retired later this year......
    And that is the big question. For all CDMA's failings, range is not one of them. Some rural customers may be getting in-car signal boosters before long.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Indeed. But what is still unknown is how much (if any) Verizon’s coverage will suffer once CDMA is retired later this year.
    Keep in mind, 99% of Verizon customers haven't made a phone call using CDMA in 2-3 years. I know I haven't. I lived in a mountainous area with fairly spotty coverage up until 2 years ago. My phone still locked onto at least 1 bar of LTE at all times. Never CDMA. It's probably been 3+ years since my phone lost LTE unless I was underground in a parking garage, etc.

I realize that a VERY small percentage of customers might still use CDMA, but for most people, no one will miss CDMA and no one has used it in years.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Agree with the other posters on this thread.

When taking a call at work that goes into the evening and needing to stay on the call during the commute home, while leaving the building...

AT&T shows 5Ge but drops the call and then goes to no service when I get outside until it can get on 5Ge again.

In another scenario with ATT, in a suburban area driving past a supermarket I cannot hear the people I am talking to for about a half mile the call does not disconnect but I do not hear anything with AT&T. I did report this about three or four years ago but nothing has changed.

With Verizon, even with one bar it holds onto the call and does not drop and the calls generally are more consistent.

Another example is my girlfriend’s parents house it is a dead zone for AT&T no service inside the house. Verizon has one or two bars and works fine.

When I was outside Richmond, VA in a rural area ( Montpelier, South Anna, VA ) for an event AT&T had no service in many parts. Verizon had one bar and worked fine. This was from a couple years ago.

Speed wise AT&T blows Verizon out of the water. However, for me having a consistent experience is more important.

Phones used during testing: iPhone XS and 11 pro maxes.

Feedback Score

That said, after recently switching from AT&T (after 25yrs) to Verizon I find that one “bar” of Verizon LTE on my XSM is perfectly usable, whereas two bars on AT&T was often Iffy.

I know bars are BS, but I often have to remind myself when I see one bar, occasionally, on Verizon not to panics. If I run a speed test I still usually get at least 20-30 Mbit/s.

I do t think I’ve ever seen no service yet (on Verizon) since I’ve switched.
    On the rural fringe of suburbia in central Virginia my voice coverage improved when I switched to a VoLTE phone fifteen months ago. I no longer see No Service in areas that I always did with CDMA.

It's a big country. Some areas will probably see some degraded voice coverage. Verizon is not doing nothing. They are quietly building and improving coverage and signal. My data speed at home has gone from 5 to 35 Mbps inside the house over the past four years. I'm lucky to get 1 Mbps from AT&T inside the house.

We also had an AT&T phone for years until recently. It worked well enough that there was no urgency to switch until it was new phone time. Verizon is marginally better so we switched to Verizon with the new phone Forget Sprint, but they were less awful than T-Mo until they turned on 600 MHz here.

Feedback Score
    Agree with a lot of the comments here. Even back before VoLTE, Verizon had a more stable voice signal in weaker areas than AT&T. A recent event showed that Verizon VoLTE is more stable than CDMA voice in my area. A friends Verizon phone lost it's VoLTE and the call quality got real poor. Once VoLTE was restored it was much improved. I think it's not just the HD Voice filtering, but the LTE signal carries better in some areas.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    Keep in mind, 99% of Verizon customers haven't made a phone call using CDMA in 2-3 years. I know I haven't. I lived in a mountainous area with fairly spotty coverage up until 2 years ago. My phone still locked onto at least 1 bar of LTE at all times. Never CDMA. It's probably been 3+ years since my phone lost LTE unless I was underground in a parking garage, etc.

I realize that a VERY small percentage of customers might still use CDMA, but for most people, no one will miss CDMA and no one has used it in years.
    How about the rural most parts of America where Verizon doesn’t have LTE? 1x comes in handy for those kind of calls .

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    How about the rural most parts of America where Verizon doesn’t have LTE? 1x comes in handy for those kind of calls .
    Again, 99% of people in the U.S. don’t live in those areas. I was referring to the 99%, not the 1%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    One thing worth noting here, Verizon's coverage maps for "CDMAless" devices are pretty different from the regular one. As far as I can tell, the current map for CDMA+LTE devices more or less uses the traditional CDMA roamers, just with LTE coverage on most of them; the "CDMAless" has quite a bit of additional roaming off of some GSM/HSPA/LTE carriers. This'd expand the voice coverage (via roaming) a fair amount.

If 'voice coverage' means CDMA versus GSM/HSPA, probably Verizon has more coverage. If you just mean what coverage you can get with a modern VoLTE phone... don't know. I'm sure via FirstNet (band 14) AT&T has built out coverage in some areas it was lacking; I know Verizon's also built out LTE in areas they don't even have the band 5 or 2 licenses a CDMA system would require, probably both have more total LTE coverage than GSM/HSPA now.

Device(s)
    Droid Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless (1994, GTE MobileNet)
    Feedback Score
    AT&T turned off 2G (GSM) a couple of years ago. 3G (WCDCMA, HSPA) is going away in February 2022, according to their web page (att.com/3gmigration)

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
    AT&T turned off 2G (GSM) a couple of years ago. 3G (WCDCMA, HSPA) is going away in February 2022, according to their web page (att.com/3gmigration)
    With the extra 10x10Mhz for FirstNet, it's finally safe to turn off HSPA and go 100% LTE only. It only makes sense, the GSM could have been left up in the guard bands as T-Mobile did (it's literally just hanging in space they cannot use for LTE or 5G anyway) and gives them extra revenue for roamers and older IOT devices.

In rural Ohio, I still hit places that the LTE is useless on Verizon AND AT&T for that matter unless I toggle VoLTE off and let 3G do the work, but I'm seeing less and less of those areas..

Even T-Mobile has been getting decent LTE coverage rurally in areas I frequent - a few times I've had T-Mobile 600/700MHz LTE and no Verizon service at all. These next few years are going to be interesting to see how this plays out with them digesting Sprint simultaneously.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"
    Sprint: Premium Unlimited (for 100GB hotspot!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast