Thread: What is next for T-Vision ( Layer 3 ).

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

What is next for T-Vision ( Layer 3 ).

“ TVision's stated strategy to extend service beyond its own set-top box and run on "popular third-party TV platforms … That means getting TVision will be as simple as downloading an app – no box or extra equipment needed."

"We're getting ready for a world where 5G replaces home broadband and TVision Home will replace your cable TV – and launching a complete, high-end home TV service is a key part of that strategy," the company explains in its TVision FAQ.“

https://www.lightreading.com/cable-v.../d/d-id/758631

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Now T-Mobile has the spectrum with 5G for home Wireless ISP (WISP) broadband. This WISP Service with adding in a little TV service will make building out rural areas profitable. Wireless ISP is cheaper to operate than Wireline ISP solutions. Which will allow T-Mobile to cut prices of the Wireline cable companies and AT&T Wireline ISP. Yes, even mmWave can be used with an external antenna attached to homes. I really think T-Mobile intends to leap over the competition with it’s nationwide 5G network plus extra service. WISP is a cable cutters dream come true with an App. Hopefully T-Mobile will make this T-Vision a la carte TV.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    “ T-Mobile also envisions taking on cable operators, once its 5G service is up and running. In theory, 5G would allow home viewers to stream shows and movies at speeds they had only been able to get through the cable companies. “It’s the least competitive market I’ve ever seen,” Mr. Sievert said. Most regions of the country have only one cable company servicing the area.“

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/b...nt-merger.html

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    For those who have iPhones that don’t have 5G support, which none of them do yet, I’m hoping they continue to work on LTE expansion as well. There are people who want to keep their iPhone for a few years or so, myself included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus Product Red
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Maybe, Visible, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    So $100 for just tv service and 1 box. Not worth it IMO.

I have gig fiber and tv with 2 STB's for $96.87 a month.

If i drop tv, gig internet only is $79, so for tv from tmobile would be $110, $189 a month..

They've got to lower the price if they want customers.
    Personal Highest on LTE - US RT 1 and MD-152

Home internet - Verizon Fios 150/150 (Upgraded to Gigabit Jan. 26 2019)

Fios Gigabit:

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryland View Post
    So $100 for just tv service and 1 box. Not worth it IMO.

I have gig fiber and tv with 2 STB's for $96.87 a month.

If i drop tv, gig internet only is $79, so for tv from tmobile would be $110, $189 a month..

They've got to lower the price if they want customers.

No one knows what T-Mobile changes in the future since they don’t have enough customers with the cable based Layer 3 service to get good prices from the content providers. Now with That T-Mobile has over 120 Million customers this unreleased T-Vision that will be App based will get better discounts from content providers. Frankly AT&T doesn’t have Gigabit ISB service where I live just that 10 Mb slow stuff that my T-Mobile service on my phone would crush.

However AT&T is no longer selling U-Verse TV service since it competes with their DirecTV service and their wireline ISB streaming service that makes them compete against building out a WISP like T-Mobile is with 5G. Rumor is AT&T wants to sell DirecTV since they know the future of TV is internet based Apps just like T-Mobile is going to sell.

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/att-st...-verse-pay-tv/

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    For those who have iPhones that don’t have 5G support, which none of them do yet, I’m hoping they continue to work on LTE expansion as well. There are people who want to keep their iPhone for a few years or so, myself included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LTE isn’t going away. DSS will address LTE and 5G using the same spectrum blocks with Standalone 5G. However the future is 5G for T-Mobile since they can leap their competitors to the big new market of WISP to provide Internet service to homes via 5G wireless modems. 5G isn’t going to do a lot for Mobile phones other than increasing the bandwidth and reducing latency that lowers the cost of data. However phones don’t need 5G speed that is why 5G is for both WISP and Edge Computing. This is where the big revenue for T-Mobile’s 5G will come from.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    How is T-Vision different than AT&T TV?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Good vid from LA’s own KTLA Channel 5 tech guy Rich DeMuro

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    How is T-Vision different than AT&T TV?

AT&T TV is the old DirectTv that is satellite bases distributed. It requires Satellite Dish, base unit and splitters for LMB to multiple TV. When AT&T bought DirecTv I tossed about $400 of equipment into the trash since I hate AT&T to the bone and will never give them another penny of my money. T-Mobile T-Vision will be App Based only for equipment with Cloud DVR that uses Internet streaming that supports the new 2020 standard of ATSC-3 that supports 4K TV and 8K TV.

ATSC 3.0, or Next Gen TV provides the benefits of Better reception, 4K HDR video support, Dolby Atmos and DTS-X support, on-demand video, and even streaming to mobile devices like T-Mobile. I have a Dolby Atmos sound system that uses technology of reflecting sound to simulate up to 32 speakers. Dolby Atmos is the new movie standard sound technology in movies and soon on TV but it will support the older DTX-X sound that many older movies has been recorded in over the last decade.

My less than one year old LG HDTV only supports ATSC 1.0 developed in 2009 that is not compatible with ATSC 3.0. ATSC 3.0 is called the Next Gen TV. The benefits of this standard are clear: Better reception, 4K HDR video support, Dolby Atmos and DTS-X support, on-demand video, and even streaming to mobile devices and automobiles.

There isn’t enough bandwidth on cable for ATSC 3.0 that will at this point in time only available OTA and the Internet. I am sure that AT&T will support their Westworld show streaming over the Internet in ATSC 3.0 format but U-Verse is dead and AT&T will have to replace their satellites in orbit for ATSC 3.0.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 04-05-2020 at 11:41 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    From what I’ve read, AT&T TV will be delivered over internet, not Satellites.

Doesn’t seem like much of a difference, just a matter of pick your poison.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    From what I’ve read, AT&T TV will be delivered over internet, not Satellites.

Doesn’t seem like much of a difference, just a matter of pick your poison.

Ok didn’t know that. So now AT&T has U-Verse, DirecTv and the new Internet based TV deliver products. As well as their DTS over copper and optical Wireline ISP service they have to maintain. Love how AT&T competes with their own products they have to keep funding for their customers with expensive wireline services. Where is the WISP AT&T service, that Will be cheaper to operate over wireless like T-Mobile WISP with more spectrum than AT&T and Verizon combined? Unless AT&T wants to put mmWave towers every few hundreds feet across entire the country that will cost hundreds of billions of dollars and take 10 years to build out. Will AT&T keep up with their stock dividend as they hemorrhages customers to T-Mobile with the most 5G nationwide coverage?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Ok didn’t know that. So now AT&T has U-Verse, DirecTv and the new Internet based TV deliver products. As well as their DTS over copper and optical Wireline ISP service they have to maintain. Love how AT&T competes with their own products they have to keep funding for their customers with expensive wireline services. Where is the WISP AT&T service, that Will be cheaper to operate over wireless like T-Mobile WISP with more spectrum than AT&T and Verizon combined? Unless AT&T wants to put mmWave towers every few hundreds feet across entire the country that will cost hundreds of billions of dollars and take 10 years to build out. Will AT&T keep up with their stock dividend as they hemorrhages customers to T-Mobile with the most 5G nationwide coverage?
    U-Verse existed through telesales only until today when it was finally shutdown for good.

DirecTV doesn’t really directly compete with AT&T in the traditional sense IMO. My grandparents have it... don’t know anyone under the age of 60 that does. But even then, they’re getting the money anyway, so why would they care?

AT&T has been offering WISP over WCS spectrum for awhile now, not sure on the success or failure of the program as I’m in CenturyLink land. I can imagine they will use CBRS or CBand to continue that.

Also, AT&T had a net positive year last year in terms of postpaid and prepaid gains, and currently has the crown for best mobile network on many different third party testing sites, if not second place to Verizon. Not sure what you’re getting at there... don’t know why my question about T vision had to turn to you bashing AT&T.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    U-Verse existed through telesales only until today when it was finally shutdown for good.

DirecTV doesn’t really directly compete with AT&T in the traditional sense IMO. My grandparents have it... don’t know anyone under the age of 60 that does. But even then, they’re getting the money anyway, so why would they care?

AT&T has been offering WISP over WCS spectrum for awhile now, not sure on the success or failure of the program as I’m in CenturyLink land. I can imagine they will use CBRS or CBand to continue that.

Also, AT&T had a net positive year last year in terms of postpaid and prepaid gains, and currently has the crown for best mobile network on many different third party testing sites, if not second place to Verizon. Not sure what you’re getting at there... don’t know why my question about T vision had to turn to you bashing AT&T,

I have two neighbors that have U-Verse next door to me and they still have service. Neither would be a good site for DirecTv since their townhouse points the wrong direction for the DirecTv satellites. Plus the Condo Board provides Comcast cable since they will make you crazy on how you can’t attach a Satellite dish to the outside of the building.

Where I live only ISP is U-Verse 10 Mbps copper DSL and Comcast cable. AT&T is too weak for voice calls in my area so no chance of AT&T WISP.

Sorry I go off on AT&T that I hate to the bone from the days of the 2 year contract. That Was beyond ugly and vindictive by AT&T for me leaving them with less than 8 hours before the 2 year contract ended after I had a paid in full reciet. AT&T bricked my phone that I paid cash for it, sold my phone # several times over 2 years and send me a bill for more than $300 despite paying them in full 8 hours left on the 2 year contract.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    I have two neighbors that have U-Verse next door to me and they still have service. Neither would be a good site for DirecTv since their townhouse points the wrong direction for the DirecTv satellites. Plus the Condo Board provides Comcast cable since they will make you crazy on how you can’t attach a Satellite dish to the outside of the building.

Where I live only ISP is U-Verse 10 Mbps copper DSL and Comcast cable. AT&T is too weak for voice calls in my area so no chance of AT&T WISP.

Sorry I go off on AT&T that I hate to the bone from the days of the 2 year contract. That Was beyond ugly and vindictive by AT&T for me leaving them with less than 8 hours before the 2 year contract ended after I had a paid in full reciet.
    I understand that. Our options are 12 Mbps CenturyLink or Spectrum. Nobody chooses CenturyLink unless it’s their only option. My grandma can’t get anything but POTS from them, so Satellite TV is pretty much her only options. Pretty obvious on which one to choose if you can pick. But most people I know don’t even pay for cable/satellite TV at all anymore. It’s all Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Apple TV+, etc.