Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I want a PP phone that will get OS updates.

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score
    Just how important are OS updates anyway? I have had 7.1.1 on my Moto E4 since I purchased it, I think. I don't even check. I can run all apps that I need and everything works.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    Just how important are OS updates anyway? I have had 7.1.1 on my Moto E4 since I purchased it, I think. I don't even check. I can run all apps that I need and everything works.
    Same with my E4. When an important app I use no longer works I move on. I still have a 3G Moto G (first gen) running Lollipop (5. something) running strong. I guess if you're a power user there may be benefits, but not for my usage. For me it's a phone; with internet and apps for occasional travel. At home I have a computer. (and a landline)

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    OS updates are vital. I stopped using my microwave oven and toaster, because they haven't received any updates since I bought them!

Kidding aside, I don't really get all the fuss either. Sure, an update adds an occasional neat new feature, but most of us run apps, not OSes. As long as my phone can still run the apps I need, the OS level isn't that important. My Android arsenal includes devices running 6-9, and they all work fine. (One old tablet of mine is stuck on version 4.2, so I've repurposed it to being a digital picture frame, updated with new pictures automatically via Google photos.)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    OS updates are vital. I stopped using my microwave oven and toaster, because they haven't received any updates since I bought them!
    Now that you mention it, my lawn mower hasn't received and update in over ten years!

Feedback Score
    Now that you mention it, my lawn mower hasn't received and update in over ten years!
    Well, if we're talking lawnmowers, my Toro hasn't gotten an update in the 26 years I've had it!

This was a model that was produced before the Toro brand started being sold in big box stores. All I've done with it routinely is change the oil and sharpen the blades. I don't remember ever changing the spark plug, and I've only changed the air filter once or twice, although I do clean it out from time to time.

I've had neighbors with newer Toro's with supposedly higher horsepower purchased from big box stores, and they are NOT the same as mine as far as power in heavy grass, sturdiness of build, or overall longevity!

How's THAT for taking an off-topic post and REALLY going overboard!?

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My old toro (snow blower) still runs on 2 cycle. I believe the ignition system is based on 60's tech! Will continue running for a few more decades no doubt

There's an update to my 7T, but so far phone's been working fine and I see no reason to update.

Feedback Score
    Besides the issue of not being able to run certain newer apps, there is the issue of security. Steve Gibson in episode #575 of his "Security Now" podcast talks about the risks or running un-updated phones. If you don't care about your phone's data possibly being accessed by others, then I suppose it doesn't matter. You can always just reset the phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    I mean if you swap to Visible ($25/mo unlimited talk/text/data/hotspot on Verizon if you get into a "pay party")

Once the iPhone SE comes back in stock, it's $384 and they give you a $200 card for swapping. Apple will update the phone for 5yrs from it's initial release (the iPhone 6s is on it's last year of update)

Also, to the poster above who said it was "harder" to do photos/media/apps on iOS clearly never bothered to use one for longer than a few minutes, as it's no harder than Android, just a few buttons in different spots that one would have to get used too. Other than being able to use bittorrent on my phone and illegally download music/movies, there is nothing my iPhone can not do that the android can haha
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    Visible: $25 “toy” SIM card to throw in whatever’s secondary.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    In the Tracfone forum, there is a link to a $35 Tracfone Moto G6 Refurb at Amazon. The refurbs are usually "like new", and it should come with a Tracfone (Verizon) SIM, which a PagePlus CSR will easily transfer your phone number to. No need to tell them it was a Tracfone (they probably wouldn't even ask). The phone will update to Android 9 (Pie), and the most recent security patch (Feb 1, 2020).

It would probably be best to not even turn the phone on until after PagePlus has activated it, that way it will automatically be "re-branded", and the phone could be unlocked after a year of use. The CSR will ask for the IMEI or ICCID number which should be provided on a slip of paper, in the box.

If you do get it from Amazon, you might want to purchase a case and screen protector, at the same time, to take advantage of free shipping.

I think the Moto G6 will be fine, with all the latest updates.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by valhynson View Post
    Besides the issue of not being able to run certain newer apps, there is the issue of security. Steve Gibson in episode #575 of his "Security Now" podcast talks about the risks or running un-updated phones. If you don't care about your phone's data possibly being accessed by others, then I suppose it doesn't matter. You can always just reset the phone.
    Security is a tricky thing. In the podcast example you mentioned, it was an Apple iPhone exploit that existed for *years* before being discovered. So while it's great everyone updated their phones when the update became available, they were all completely at risk for over 4 years before the exploit was even discovered! So, other than using "safe sex" internet practices on their phones (not clicking unsolicited links, avoiding sketchy sites, etc.) staying updated did *nothing* for these folks (WRT this exploit at least) for several *years*!

At least in the Android world, much like with Windows, security patches and updates are two different things. I have many Android devices that no longer get any OS updates, but get regular (monthly or quarterly, depending on age) security updates to patch vulnerabilities.

So I really couldn't care less that some of my Android devices are forever stuck on OS 7.x or 8.x in a world that's moved on to Android 10. Even on the oldest ones that no longer get security updates, I'm pretty secure in my personal practices to not fear using the devices.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    My thing with android though, is *because* the app ecosystem is so fragmented.. when google tries to fix and unify the platform... nobody is on the same page, so you still have these jank looking/acting apps because developers cannot update them to the *current* standard due to it'll break compatibility with a bunch of devices.

Apple, for what it's worth is consistent and will for sure support a device to the current UI standards/feature set for 5yrs from device purchase.

I've for instance got a Note 9 here.. yeah the android was updated but Samsung for some reason had deemed the device not good enough to run the current Samsung UI? - Until garbage like that is fixed, i could NEVER use Android as my daily driver.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    My thing with android though, is *because* the app ecosystem is so fragmented.. when google tries to fix and unify the platform... nobody is on the same page, so you still have these jank looking/acting apps because developers cannot update them to the *current* standard due to it'll break compatibility with a bunch of devices.

Apple, for what it's worth is consistent and will for sure support a device to the current UI standards/feature set for 5yrs from device purchase.

I've for instance got a Note 9 here.. yeah the android was updated but Samsung for some reason had deemed the device not good enough to run the current Samsung UI? - Until garbage like that is fixed, i could NEVER use Android as my daily driver.
    I guess.

I'm 53, so I grew up in the DOS era where nobody expected a consistent UI from app to app, so the minor little variances in Android apps don't bother me much. Sure, there are some very amateur apps out there, but for the most part there's consistency- hamburger menus in the same place, back buttons work, etc. I don't need every app to look like it came packaged with the OS, I just need it to work as expected.

I don't particularly like Android, but I *hate* the iPhone. Everytime I have to deal with something stupid like having to share a file between apps (creating duplicate copies in each app's sandbox) or using Dropbox to get something onto my kids' iPhones because there's no proper file management, I grit my teeth and wonder how Windows Phone never succeeded!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    I guess.

I'm 53, so I grew up in the DOS era where nobody expected a consistent UI from app to app, so the minor little variances in Android apps don't bother me much. Sure, there are some very amateur apps out there, but for the most part there's consistency- hamburger menus in the same place, back buttons work, etc. I don't need every app to look like it came packaged with the OS, I just need it to work as expected.

I don't particularly like Android, but I *hate* the iPhone. Everytime I have to deal with something stupid like having to share a file between apps (creating duplicate copies in each app's sandbox) or using Dropbox to get something onto my kids' iPhones because there's no proper file management, I grit my teeth and wonder how Windows Phone never succeeded!

in iOS, you usually just click the share then send the file *directly* to the app you need, or at least that's what i've always done.

I also learned how to code on an IBM 5150 in BASIC that was my first hand-me-down machine as when I got it.. it did not even have DOS disks for the first few months of ownership, and later got a Gateway 2000 486 with DOS and Windows 3.1, rocked that until we got a Windows 98 machine. I'm not as young as you think (i'm in my 30s) haha

The problem is once i went mac in 2001 with MacOS X and got my first taste of a decent UI that had unix underpinnings i could use terminal with... i can never go back to sloppy operating systems like Windows or Android again.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Just want to throw my 2 cents into the mix. Coming from a yearsssss long Motorola cellphone user, Motorola phones would be the LAST place I'd look if os/security updates were a priority. Even their flagship phone they released a month ago (edge plus) was only going to get one update (Android 11) which is coming out this year, until people complained. You're talking about a 1 grand phone that was going to get this year's update and then be abandoned. They finally agreed to do 2 Android updates for their flagship phone, but that alone should tell you how little importance Moto gives to updating their phones. In fact, it's the biggest reason why I left them and no longer own (nor plan to own in the future) any Moto phones. In fact, I had my identity stolen from an old Moto phone that no longer received os or security updates. So those of you saying having updates doesn't really affect security, I had similar views as you until it bit me in the booty. The damage is permanent in spite of having police report records. No way to undo identity theft with ss number. So I would strongly encourage the OP to look elsewhere than Moto! OnePlus has a very good rep when it comes to updates. I hear Apple is good too. Moto is one of the worst.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^Agreed as far as lack of support/updates. I was done with motorola after the moto x pure took eternity to get any updates. At this point moto is good for cheap entry or low/mid level phones.

Please explain how security updates caused identity theft? One should always exercise caution as to the type of data stored on a phone. My comfort level goes as far as email/texts. No paypal, no bank apps, nothing money related.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast