Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I want a PP phone that will get OS updates.

Feedback Score

I want a PP phone that will get OS updates.

I need to replace my non-4g phone and am looking at the android sub-$100 phone on the PP website. Galaxy J3, ZTE Blade 2, Moto G6, LG Pro Premier. Will any of them get an Android OS upgrade beyond the 8 or 8.1 that they now have?
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    P.S. to my above. I'd consider an iPhone 6s as well.

Feedback Score
    Moto G6 has gone to Android 9, but has had some problems. Some have had to do a factory reset after the upgrade. Moto phones tend to get OS upgrades direct from Motorola Mobility, and not from the carrier. The other phones listed may be spotty getting OS upgrades through PPC.

The iPhone 6s or SE can go to iOS 13. I believe that comes directly from Apple.

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-13/

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204204
    Last edited by loboheeler; 04-04-2020 at 07:03 PM.

Feedback Score
    Thank you. Does the Moto G6 retain Android 9 after the factory reset, and are the problems resolved after the reset?

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I know there is going to be some Tracfone phones with Android 10 or with Android 10 upgrades. I would not know what those models that will get the Android 10 update.

Feedback Score
    Check other TF companies too. You'll likely get a much better price and selection then what's on the PPC website. Any TF company phone that's for the Vzw network is good for activation on PPC with the sim that comes in it.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    If you’re looking for a clean used 6s, try Swappa, I have bought many phones there including a 6s just a few months back for the same reason, current iOS support.

Feedback Score
    Thank you all. Presently my question is only about those phone sold on the PP website. I didn't know if such phones ever get OS updates or if they always remain as purchased. I don't really know who creates specific phone updates or if PP has to agree to have their customers phones updated and must facilitate the process somehow. Or if it all comes down to the manufacturer of the phone needing to put together an update and PP has nothing to do with whether their phone get updated.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by valhynson View Post
    Thank you all. Presently my question is only about those phone sold on the PP website. I didn't know if such phones ever get OS updates or if they always remain as purchased. I don't really know who creates specific phone updates or if PP has to agree to have their customers phones updated and must facilitate the process somehow. Or if it all comes down to the manufacturer of the phone needing to put together an update and PP has nothing to do with whether their phone get updated.
    To be honest your best bet to know quickly and with a minimum of research whether your device will get OS updates is to stick with Apple. They are very transparent about their roadmap. The 6s is the minimum device/cost of the iPhones on the PP site and will have the shortest life remaining on OS updates. That model is also the last one with a headphone jack so I see it being a preference for some of us until it no longer gets OS updates and probably for a while after that.

Added, as I understand it, updates to iPhones come from Apple via the iCloud and PP is not involved.

Feedback Score
    Motorola phones get their updates directly from Motorola. The lower the model, the less likely updates will continue for very long, and updates are sort of willy nilly.

As already indicated above, iPhone 6s might be the best option given your description.

Feedback Score
    Thank you. Does the Moto G6 retain Android 9 after the factory reset, and are the problems resolved after the reset?
    I believe the G6 factory reset does retain the OS update. There have been a number of references about this upgrade, but buried in a number of subject threads I don't remember.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Motorola phones get their updates directly from Motorola. The lower the model, the less likely updates will continue for very long, and updates are sort of willy nilly.

As already indicated above, iPhone 6s might be the best option given your description.
    Yes, Motos usually get only 1 OS version update, and maybe a couple of security updates.

There are downsides to going over to the Apple world. Harder to deal with handling things like contacts and media. Everything has to go through Apple, and there are restrictions on some app types. Not for everyone!

Feedback Score
    I'm just now setting up a friend's new PP G6. I'll probably turn off OS updates for now, having read the problems some are having with the update that don't necessarily resolve with a reset. But I haven't yet found where to turn of Moto updates. It gives me a change to look at the phone since it's on my list. The iPhone 6s is a bit small for my main phone, but the fact that it runs the current OS is a plus. Pluses and minuses for everything.

I found the update setting in developers options.
    Last edited by valhynson; 04-05-2020 at 03:40 PM.

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    P.S. to my above. I'd consider an iPhone 6s as well.
    I believe the general expectation is that the 6S may no longer be getting IOS updates after this year. The 6 dropped off last year, so its the 6s' turn to be sunsetted as far as IOS updates go. You can still run the latest IOS versions on the 6s now. But I wouldn't plan on getting IOS14 on it. This is all rumor though... but the 6S is certainly nearing its update end. I would probably get an iphone 8 if I were buying lowend iphone used at this point.

But OTOH a 6S on IOS13 is pretty good and likely to be "good enough" for a couple more years. Its main diff re: 7/8 etc is that it still has a real headphone jack.

Feedback Score
    As I understand it, lithium batteries are only good for a certain number of years, even if just sitting on a shelf. I wonder how old the iPhones are. The 6s has been out for over 4 years. Can anyone confirm a reasonably recent date of manufacture for the iPhones PP offers, and that aren't old stock?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast