Thread: Plan price with 5g phone but no 5g service

Device(s)
    Pocket PC
    Feedback Score

Plan price with 5g phone but no 5g service

My wife and I are on the 55+ plan. I'm thinking about giving her my note 9 and getting the s20+ 5g. Will I pay the 5g premium even though there is no 5g near me yet? Ne fl. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crashandburn View Post
    My wife and I are on the 55+ plan. I'm thinking about giving her my note 9 and getting the s20+ 5g. Will I pay the 5g premium even though there is no 5g near me yet? Ne fl. Thanks.
    I don't think they charge extra for 5G

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    I don't think they charge extra for 5G

I disagree.

With Verizon, they place the 5G feature on the account which requires the additional plan/feature. When Verizon first introduced the Samsung 10 devices with 5G, they placed the feature but also added a credit to offset the additional cost for a period of time to enable customers to try out the new devices.

I don't see it would be any different with Sprint. Until I see evidence to the contrary, I stand by my statement. I don't think the potential extra cost is worth it for the OP.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    I disagree.

With Verizon, they place the 5G feature on the account which requires the additional plan/feature. When Verizon first introduced the Samsung 10 devices with 5G, they placed the feature but also added a credit to offset the additional cost for a period of time to enable customers to try out the new devices.

I don't see it would be any different with Sprint. Until I see evidence to the contrary, I stand by my statement. I don't think the potential extra cost is worth it for the OP.
    Doesn't say a word about 5G extra charge. Yes vzw does but Sprint and the combined TMobile do not

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Doesn't say a word about 5G extra charge. Yes vzw does but Sprint and the combined TMobile do not
    T-Mobile's press release indicates that they will not charge for 5G:

"The New T-Mobile will offer free access to 5G and the best rate plans at low prices, now and in the future, so all customers can reap the benefits of a supercharged Un-Carrier network at a great value. And the New T-Mobile has committed to delivering the same or better rate plans for three years, which includes access to 5G, including for prepaid and Lifeline customers. "

https://investor.t-mobile.com/news-a...e/default.aspx

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I appreciate the information about how T-mobile/Sprint are handling this. I based my comment on my experience with Verizon's 5G policy/pricing.

Device(s)
    Pocket PC
    Feedback Score
    I upgraded to the ultra 5g and kept my plan as people said. I did a run to test the 5g by the airport. I got 5g from tmobile with speeds from 15-25 mbps. I have gotten 36mbps on lte since we started sharing roaming. It will be good when they do the full rollout.