Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Refurb phone battery question

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracfoner69 View Post
    It's all about how Li-ion batteries store energy. Charging them to maximum capacity stresses them, as does allowing them to drop too low, and ultimately results in shorter lifespan. A short enough lifespan to matter? Maybe not, depends on how long you hang on to a particular phone before replacing it.

You could probably charge to 100% every day for a year and lose around 10-15% or so of capacity due to wear. For some, that's an acceptable tradeoff for having a fully charged battery, albeit with a shorter runtime because of reduced capacity as time goes by.

Actually, frequent short top-off charges are better than longer full charges. If you are already in the habit of charging when it drops to around 50%, I would encourage you to continue doing that, in addition to also adopting the "no higher than 80%" rule.

So 50%-80% would make a big difference in terms of overall health and long-term usable capacity of the battery. Try to make that your goal for routine usage when you know you have easy access to a power source for charging, but of course if you're going to be out and about for hours, go ahead and charge the phone up to 100% and use whatever capacity you need.

That's the good thing about adopting good charging habits; if the majority of your charge cycles over the lifetime of the phone are 50% to 80% top-offs, then the occasional 100% charge and draining down to 10% isn't going to have a ton of negative impact a year into owning the phone.

Especially now that so many of these phones have non-removable batteries, adopting good charging practices is more important than ever.

There are a ton of references out there to back up what I'm preaching here. This seems like a pretty decent page explaining some more in depth.

https://www.androidauthority.com/max...ry-life-882395

PS - For whatever it's worth, I bought my Moto e5 in Dec 2018 and ran it 24/7 until a few weeks ago when the g6 replaced it. Except for maybe a dozen or so times within those 15 months, I normally charged the battery to only 75-80%. After the last charge cycle before retiring the phone, AccuBattery showed a potential capacity of 3948 of the original 4000 mAh design capacity of the battery.
    I usually use my phones until they're outdated for my needs. For instance I just retired my 8gb phones that either can no longer be activated or that are way too slow. I moved their storage cards to newer phones. I store those and will once in awhile charge them. Some of my really old feature phones dating back to 2006-2010 are totally dead between charges while others are holding a charge close to 80-90%.

I intend to keep using my current phones until they obviously lag or I lag, one or the other.

The reason I charged to 100% was because years ago I heard that recharging batteries before they're fully discharged was bad, and that not fully charging would shorten a battery's life. Maybe that was true of different types of batteries (ni-cad or ni-mh?)

I'm usually near a charging station, but even when I'm not, I'm not that far away so it's easy for me to plug or unplug my phones. It will mean no more leaving phones plugged in until I feel like checking them, and no more overnight charging while I sleep.

I appreciate the tutorial and am sure others will benefit from it too. It deserves a thread of its own since many phones are retired for that reason, the battery is getting weak.

I had maybe one phone, a Pantech Slate that had the battery get weak. Aside from a Kyocera Marbl that I got on eBay used that couldn't stand by overnight without going dead. The others are fairly good and it's surprising they still boot ok. From the use cells get, it's surprising they live as long as they do.

I chose the e6 partly because the battery was removable. I figure if I like it I may buy another. Then if one dies I have a spare battery. I had 4 Alcatels that used the same battery. I can't activate them but i can use them for FM radios.

If care in charging preserves the life of the phone, it's worth doing. So thanks again.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Well, let me ask this question: If the battery is repeatedly charged only to 80%, will that eventually throw off the calibration? So you will not know for sure what is 80%. Then you should occasionally recalibrate the battery meter by letting the battery run down and then charging to 100%.

Device(s)
    Moto g6
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Well, let me ask this question: If the battery is repeatedly charged only to 80%, will that eventually throw off the calibration? So you will not know for sure what is 80%. Then you should occasionally recalibrate the battery meter by letting the battery run down and then charging to 100%.
    No, it won't throw off the calibration, and there is no real need to run down to 0% and charge back up to 100% to "calibrate" the battery. The phone hardware, OS, and apps are much smarter today than they were in the past. They measure the amount of current, voltage, and temperature of the battery as the phone is charging and discharging, and are able to calibrate based on those parameters during everyday normal usage.

As I stated in my previous post, I ran my Moto e5 for over a year and very rarely charged it up to 100%, and almost never ran it all the way down until it powered off. Kept it between 20% and 75% over the course of 15 months, and not once did I ever notice a mis-calibration of the battery meter or what AccuBattery was showing me as far as run-time.

There are far too many myths regarding batteries that people still perpetuate. A lot of those myths are based on old technology like NiCad "memory" and the like. As noted above, battery technology has advanced very far in the last decade, particularly when it comes to Li-ion and LiPo (lithium-ion polymer) batteries that are used in all modern cell phones.

Feedback Score
    No, it won't throw off the calibration, and there is no real need to run down to 0% and charge back up to 100% to "calibrate" the battery....
    No need has not been my experience.

I have greatly improved the battery run time by doing this on several phones when they reached the point of a run time of only minutes or a few hours.

I do not know if the improvement is from charging "calibration" or a mechanical or chemical effect on the battery, but it has worked to return the phones to usable for months afterwards.

Look at the battery if you can. If it is swollen, it is toast and about to leak and ruin the phone - lost cause at that point.

Feedback Score
    As noted above, battery technology has advanced very far in the last decade, particularly when it comes to Li-ion and LiPo (lithium-ion polymer) batteries that are used in all modern cell phones.
    You got it right that most phone batteries these days are actually "lithium-ion polymer" and not just "lithium ion" no matter how they are marked. The full discharge-full charge to 100% procedure did work before, which is old trick for laptop batteries. My first smartphone was an LG Optimus Fuel that quickly developed charging level problems, and it responded to the trick no problems ongoing.

One thing I do not like is the battery history does not reset unless you charge to 100%. I tried the AccuBattery app and did not like the battery drain it has.

Device(s)
    Moto g6
    Feedback Score
    Can't say that I have ever seen AccuBattery hogging any resources on my phone, so I'm a bit confused at reports of it causing excessive battery drain.

A recent discharge of 59% of a 3000 mAh battery shows that AccuBattery only used 2.8 mA. So that's 2.8 mA out of 1770 total mA drained during that session, or 0.0015% of total usage.

Not even a blip on the radar.

Feedback Score
    I think it's mainly whatever app floats your boat. I don't pay that much attention to the battery as long as it's behaving.

Feedback Score
    I buy the TF refurbished phones and wondered about whether the battery was new or not. I've bought several of the refurb phones and never had a problem with the batteries. Some of the refurb phones I have used heavily (on wifi at home mostly) and tend to recharge them frequently and never noticed much battery degradation over time. I don't do anything special about when or how I recharge. I plug it in when I want and unplug it whenever I need to.

I recently got a TF refurb Samsung Galaxy S7. I know this phone is from 2016. It looks and works like new (I'm very happy with it). Not sure if the battery that's in it has been sitting around for 4 years or if they did in fact put a new battery in it (it has a non-removable battery.)

Feedback Score
    If smart phones are smart, why don't they allow us to specify when to stop charging? And why don't they show us the battery voltage?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MiFi_online View Post
    If smart phones are smart, why don't they allow us to specify when to stop charging? And why don't they show us the battery voltage?
    There are apps to show phone battery voltage, and probably apps to alert when charging reaches a certain level. But the TYPICAL cell phone users don't care about such things. They plug it in when the battery is low, and unplug it when it is full. If that shortens the life of the battery, they will buy another battery or phone when it dies, which is just fine with the phone manufacturers. Count me among the typical cell phone users. I typically replace my phones about every 2 years, way before a shortened battery life is an issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    There are apps to show phone battery voltage, and probably apps to alert when charging reaches a certain level. But the TYPICAL cell phone users don't care about such things. They plug it in when the battery is low, and unplug it when it is full. If that shortens the life of the battery, they will buy another battery or phone when it dies, which is just fine with the phone manufacturers. Count me among the typical cell phone users. I typically replace my phones about every 2 years, way before a shortened battery life is an issue.
    Same here.

I fill it up and use it however long.

My LG Fiesta 2 still has insane battery life and I have never done that 40% to 80% nonsense with any of my phones.

My Moto e5 is going strong with me plugging it in when I'm not using it and unplugging it when I am taking it with me.

Sent from my Monstrous Moto e5

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    They plug it in when the battery is low, and unplug it when it is full. If that shortens the life of the battery, they will buy another battery or phone when it dies, which is just fine with the phone manufacturers.
    Yeah, I know why the manufacturers think they are smart. I'm wondering why their customers think they are smart.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    My opinion is that constantly running the battery completely down is more detrimental than charging to 100%. I rarely let the battery get below 30-40% & battery health has never been an issue.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    My opinion is that constantly running the battery completely down is more detrimental than charging to 100%.
    I don't run the phone battery COMPLETELY down. I recharge when it gets to around 20%. I don't use my phone much; I usually get 7-8 days from 100% down to 20%. I've been using this LG Q6 phone since Aug 2018.

Name:  LG-Q6-Battery-Usage-2020-04-10.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  26.2 KB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    My opinion is that constantly running the battery completely down is more detrimental than charging to 100%. I rarely let the battery get below 30-40% & battery health has never been an issue.
    That's my opinion, too. Unfortunately, my opinion isn't based on anything, lol!

I usually unplug my Pixel 3a XL at around 6:30am, and by the time I plug it in at around 10:45pm, it's usually between 70% and 75%.

My daughter almost always runs her phone down to single digits, and sometimes allows it to shut itself off at 0%, no matter how many times I tell her not to do that! But it's okay...historically, she breaks or loses her phone before the bad treatment of her phone's battery becomes an issue! (She pays for her own phones and service, which somehow makes it even worse!)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast