Thread: Being charged for missed incoming calls

Feedback Score

Being charged for missed incoming calls

Last night, a call came in that I let go to voicemail. A minute later, I got a message from AT&T saying that I got charged 20 cents. I've gotten used to being charged 20 cents for the text messages I keep getting that I have no way of preventing being charged for, but was confused when there was no texts from anyone. Then I went to my account in paygoonline.com and discovered that what I had been charged for was a phone call lasting 1 minute and 3 seconds.

So now it appears that calls that are forwarded to VoiceMail are going to start costing me, which is something else I won't be able to avoid. I didn't even listen to the voicemail since the call was from an unknown number, so I shouldn't have been charged for it. I tried several times to call 611 (customer service), but I always get a recording saying that they're experiencing an extremely high call volume right now (even at 1:20am), and then I get another recording saying that their call center is closed (even in the middle of the day). I guess CS won't be available until this Covid19 thing ends.

The only thing I can think of to do is lengthen the amount of time it takes for calls to be forwarded to VM. The problem with that is that with a call blocker like I have, the calls go there instantly, so that probably wouldn't help.

Any other ideas?

FWIW, 20 cents doesn't sound like much, but if I got an unwanted call or text message just once each day for a year, it would use up $73 of the $100 that I buy in minutes that normally would last me a full year with no problem.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by a107 View Post
    Last night, a call came in that I let go to voicemail. A minute later, I got a message from AT&T saying that I got charged 20 cents. I've gotten used to being charged 20 cents for the text messages I keep getting that I have no way of preventing being charged for, but was confused when there was no texts from anyone. Then I went to my account in paygoonline.com and discovered that what I had been charged for was a phone call lasting 1 minute and 3 seconds.

So now it appears that calls that are forwarded to VoiceMail are going to start costing me, which is something else I won't be able to avoid. I didn't even listen to the voicemail since the call was from an unknown number, so I shouldn't have been charged for it. I tried several times to call 611 (customer service), but I always get a recording saying that they're experiencing an extremely high call volume right now (even at 1:20am), and then I get another recording saying that their call center is closed (even in the middle of the day). I guess CS won't be available until this Covid19 thing ends.

The only thing I can think of to do is lengthen the amount of time it takes for calls to be forwarded to VM. The problem with that is that with a call blocker like I have, the calls go there instantly, so that probably wouldn't help.

Any other ideas?

FWIW, 20 cents doesn't sound like much, but if I got an unwanted call or text message just once each day for a year, it would use up $73 of the $100 that I buy in minutes that normally would last me a full year with no problem.
    I'm not sure about this, but I think incoming calls that go to voicemail do not normally trigger a charge on the per-minute plan. I think the problem is being caused by your call blocker app. Try uninstalling that app, and see if that fixes the problem.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by a107 View Post
    Last night, a call came in that I let go to voicemail. A minute later, I got a message from AT&T saying that I got charged 20 cents. I've gotten used to being charged 20 cents for the text messages I keep getting that I have no way of preventing being charged for, but was confused when there was no texts from anyone. Then I went to my account in paygoonline.com and discovered that what I had been charged for was a phone call lasting 1 minute and 3 seconds. So now it appears that calls that are forwarded to VoiceMail are going to start costing me, which is something else I won't be able to avoid. I didn't even listen to the voicemail since the call was from an unknown number, so I shouldn't have been charged for it. I tried several times to call 611 (customer service), but I always get a recording saying that they're experiencing an extremely high call volume right now (even at 1:20am), and then I get another recording saying that their call center is closed (even in the middle of the day). I guess CS won't be available until this Covid19 thing ends. The only thing I can think of to do is lengthen the amount of time it takes for calls to be forwarded to VM. The problem with that is that with a call blocker like I have, the calls go there instantly, so that probably wouldn't help. Any other ideas? FWIW, 20 cents doesn't sound like much, but if I got an unwanted call or text message just once each day for a year, it would use up $73 of the $100 that I buy in minutes that normally would last me a full year with no problem.
    see this here - https://forums.att.com/conversations...d5f2f606eed88f

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomgup View Post
    I'm not sure about this, but I think incoming calls that go to voicemail do not normally trigger a charge on the per-minute plan. I think the problem is being caused by your call blocker app. Try uninstalling that app, and see if that fixes the problem.
    You're right. They're not supposed to be, and this is the first time I've ever had it happened that I've noticed. However, from the link @October262 posted, it looks like others have had this problem before.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Very interesting! This appears to have been happening 2 years ago as well, and it happened when people ignore a call, or simply do nothing at all. Too bad nobody is at the AT&T office to fix the problem if it's something technical going on.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If someone uses an external calling application which is not specifically sanctioned or provided by At&t, then At&t is not responsible for usage charges, the customer is. No different using a calling card with a cell phone and then complaining if/when you do get charged for international airtime.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    If someone uses an external calling application which is not specifically sanctioned or provided by At&t, then At&t is not responsible for usage charges, the customer is. No different using a calling card with a cell phone and then complaining if/when you do get charged for international airtime.
    Are you referring to the call blocker I'm using (which is Calls Blacklist)? I think I've been using it for about 3 years. Only one instance of being charged for a missed call so far. Not sure if it will be the last, although I sure hope so. I was just hoping to resolve this issue early before I start getting charged for a flood of robocalls.

Feedback Score
    @a107: Uninstall the call blocker app. Then make a test call from a friend's phone to your phone and record a long voicemail message. You can always reinstall the call blocker app if my solution does not work. By the way, while your phone is ringing during the test call, do not touch your phone at all.

Feedback Score
    If u don’t mind or don’t need VM, u can also just have AT&T disable VM.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Most prepaid providers will charge for call forwarding, because it's a way to get unlimited calling without paying for airtime - so it's reserved for customers that have a higher montly bills to have that priviledge. It probably should be offered for free if you're paying a high monthly bill on prepaid, but hey, the world aint perfect.

After you uninstall your app you might sitll have to restore your original voicemail feature in your call forwarding settings.
    https://www.dummies.com/consumer-ele...android-phone/

This setting gets saved on the network side but usually customers have access to changing it. Basically call forwarding is only free on prepaid when it gets forwarded to an AT&T voicemail number. Or at least that's how it works in Canada.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    If u don’t mind or don’t need VM, u can also just have AT&T disable VM.
    I ended up having them do that after sitting on hold waiting for an answer for an hour and 10 minutes. I had gotten another 3 voicemails the day after my OP and got charged for each one again. I guess I can't even have voicemail anymore since the guy on the phone couldn't identify or fix the problem. I couldn't understand half of what he was even saying though.

But now it looks like I'm going to have to call them back because I'm now getting double and triple charged for incoming texts. I checked on Paygoonline.com and found where I'm being charged for the same text message from the same number at the exact same time (right down to the exact second) 3 times. Also being charged for OUTgoing texts, even though I never text anyone.

I may have to change services if this crap keeps up.
    Last edited by a107; 04-02-2020 at 02:49 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cloneman View Post
    This setting gets saved on the network side but usually customers have access to changing it. Basically call forwarding is only free on prepaid when it gets forwarded to an AT&T voicemail number. Or at least that's how it works in Canada.
    That's the way it's been for me for many years until now.