Thread: Using a prepaid credit card to pay for TF monthly service?

Feedback Score

Using a prepaid credit card to pay for TF monthly service?

Anyone here use a prepaid credit card to pay for their monthly (auto pay) TF? I asked a TF rep and he said it needs to have a billing address attached to the card, but not sure a prepaid card would work. I know some prepaid cards allow you to add a address to the card. Anyone have any success with a prepaid card paying for your TF service (auto refill)? TIA for any help.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    No help, but a tangential question. Does Tracfone require an address be associated to all purchases now? Back in the day you could buy a Tracfone and cards for cash, untraceable to you. Might be the case here?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon405 View Post
    Anyone here use a prepaid credit card to pay for their monthly (auto pay) TF? I asked a TF rep and he said it needs to have a billing address attached to the card, but not sure a prepaid card would work. I know some prepaid cards allow you to add a address to the card. Anyone have any success with a prepaid card paying for your TF service (auto refill)? TIA for any help.
    should be able to, once you get the card (it's a temporary card ) they'll send you another card with your name on it once you fill out the address and such.

Feedback Score
    Usually when a company charge your credit card (or Debit card), they only need four information. Credit card number, the security code number at back of the card, expiration date and the mailing zip code. So if a prepaid debit card have all the information above and mailing zip code attached to it, it should work.
    Last edited by Tony_D; 03-30-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_D View Post
    Usually when a company charge your credit card (or Debit card), they only need four information. Credit card number, the security code number at back of the card, expiration date and the mailing zip code. So if a prepaid debit card have all the information above and mailing zip code attached to it, it should work.
    That's the problem, most prepaid cards don't have an expiration date, and TF reps have told me they require an expiration date to be able to use the card. So I guess I can't use a prepaid card for TF auto pay.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5 Play, AT&T F160 flip, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I have bought prepaid credit cards in the past that did have expiration dates. Are you sure yours doesn't?
    That's the problem, most prepaid cards don't have an expiration date, and TF reps have told me they require an expiration date to be able to use the card. So I guess I can't use a prepaid card for TF auto pay.
    Sent from my moto x4 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I have a prepaid MC "credit card" called Direct Express that has an expiration date. I got that when I was set up for direct deposits by Social Security. Those are treated like prepaid cards by some places and rejected, mine was rejected by PayPal and HSN, but I've been able to use it at the TF website for purchases. I've never tried to use it for autopay.

There are other such cards by other names advertised on TV and I'm guessing they can be set up to receive direct deposits from other sources like mine was. They aren't "storebought" but can look them up online.

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LGester View Post
    Does Tracfone require an address be associated to all purchases now? Back in the day you could buy a Tracfone and cards for cash, untraceable to you. Might be the case here?
    You can still buy a Tracfone phone or airtime card from a retail store. Online purchases are going to require some identification. I use a dedicated debit card for this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I have a prepaid MC "credit card" called Direct Express that has an expiration date. I got that when I was set up for direct deposits by Social Security. Those are treated like prepaid cards by some places and rejected, mine was rejected by PayPal and HSN, but I've been able to use it at the TF website for purchases. I've never tried to use it for autopay.

There are other such cards by other names advertised on TV and I'm guessing they can be set up to receive direct deposits from other sources like mine was. They aren't "storebought" but can look them up online.
    Bluebird by American Express through Walmart is a good one generally. It's a few dollars, like $5, to get the startup kit. After that there are no monthly or transaction* fees. It will take direct deposit and you can fund it with cash at Walmart. If you register it, you will get a card with your name on it and an expiration date.

Almost all of the other prepaid cards I looked into had deal-killer fees.

I mostly use it for restaurant purchases where the server takes the credit card away to run the payment. I have had several cases of fraud using a real credit card at restaurants. In the end, I did not lose any money, but it is a bloody nuisance that takes months to resolve. Being American Express some small places won't take it.

I do not know if it will work for TF autopay. I do know that Freedompop won't take it, or any other prepaid card.

Another option is virtual credit cards to limit the amount of possible fraud. Citibank offers them. Do a web search for others. I have used them for recurring payments to AT&T Wireless, Callcentric, Straighttalk autopay, etc. Straighttalk is probably the key one since it is a Tracfone sister company.

*IIRC, there may be transaction fees for some things other than direct deposit or funding with cash at Walmart. Read the details.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    You can still buy a Tracfone phone or airtime card from a retail store. Online purchases are going to require some identification. I use a dedicated debit card for this.
    Using a debit card that is tied to your regular checking account exposes your whole checking account balance to fraud. I use a debit card, but it is from a credit union where I only keep a small balance. I greatly prefer virtual cards, but there are a few places I can't use them.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the suggestions. After looking into things for a while I think I'm just going to add more than one store bought phone card at a time. I talked with a TF rep and they told me I could do this. That way I can add two or three cards at a time and won't have to add a card every 30 days, it's less of a hassle that way.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Using a debit card that is tied to your regular checking account exposes your whole checking account balance to fraud. I use a debit card, but it is from a credit union where I only keep a small balance.
    I have 3 accounts at the same bank for different purposes. There is the "safe" account with no debit card or purchases made from it. The "daily" account with the main debit card that has limited balance. The "online" account with a debit card that has very limited balance until I need to use it. Those accounts don't bleed over to each other unless I make transfers. Online banking has made it so easy to see where you'r at and manipulate the balances.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3, iPhone 7, Samsung Galaxy A30
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the suggestions. After looking into things for a while I think I'm just going to add more than one store bought phone card at a time. I talked with a TF rep and they told me I could do this. That way I can add two or three cards at a time and won't have to add a card every 30 days, it's less of a hassle that way.
    This is what I'd think would be the best solution. But aren't there single store bought TF airtime cards with sufficiently high buckets for your needs? Why do you need multiple cards is what I'm asking.