Thread: Porting a number to AT&T Prepaid

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+, Nokia 6, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone and H2O
    Feedback Score

Porting a number to AT&T Prepaid

I have 2 phones currently on Tracfone. I want to move one to the new $15 AT&T plan and I want to port the number. When I check on AT&T it says one number can't be ported (the one I actually want) but the other one can be. Any idea why one Tracfone number would be ok and one wouldn't?

It's almost impossible to reach support these days or else I would ask them.

Carrier(s)
    guess
    Feedback Score
    What's your zip code. Is that number using ATT Tracfone? Is the good number that can be ported using another Tracfone carrier like Verizon or Tmobile?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone and H2O
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    What's your zip code. Is that number using ATT Tracfone? Is the good number that can be ported using another Tracfone carrier like Verizon or Tmobile?
    Good catch. I hadn't thought about the current Tracfone carrier. The one that can be ported is on Verizon while the one that can't be ported is on AT&T. I wonder if there's a way to work around that? I remember some people porting first to Google Voice and then port again to a carrier but it's my primary number and I don't want to mess it up.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
    Good catch. I hadn't thought about the current Tracfone carrier. The one that can be ported is on Verizon while the one that can't be ported is on AT&T. I wonder if there's a way to work around that? I remember some people porting first to Google Voice and then port again to a carrier but it's my primary number and I don't want to mess it up.

Thanks!
    I would port to another cell service provider temporarily. Say, T-Mobile or PagePlus(Verizon MVNO). Nobody can guarantee success though.

Feedback Score
    How are you checking the number to be ported? Calling in or is there a place to check on the website somewhere?

That is to say https://www.att.com/wireless/transfer-your-number/ and https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/tr...urnumber.html/ are completely broken for me across five browsers and two computers. They just blink are reload the site.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone and H2O
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    How are you checking the number to be ported? Calling in or is there a place to check on the website somewhere?

That is to say https://www.att.com/wireless/transfer-your-number/ and https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/tr...urnumber.html/ are completely broken for me across five browsers and two computers. They just blink are reload the site.
    Interesting. Your first link worked for me yesterday but I just checked again and it only blinks.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post

First link worked for me just now using Safari on MacOS 10.15.4. I put in my AT&T TracFone # and it showed as cannot be transferred. Interesting and quite annoying if you're using an MVNO using AT&T's network.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 11 eSIM
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 11 dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone XS [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10) + iPad Mini 4 w/ T-Mobile LTE

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    First link worked for me just now using Safari on MacOS 10.15.4. I put in my AT&T TracFone # and it showed as cannot be transferred. Interesting and quite annoying if you're using an MVNO using AT&T's network.
    Must have been a temporary outage, the first one works today. Unfortunately to actually do it I think the second one needs to work.

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, E6, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    Have Tracfone switch that number to an T-Mobile sim. Then port to AT&T.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
    I would port to another cell service provider temporarily. Say, T-Mobile or PagePlus(Verizon MVNO). Nobody can guarantee success though.
    T-mobile has made that harder. We used to buy cheap SIM cards from Amazon and Ebay. Port to the $3.00 plan wait a few hours and port back to AT&T. I did it more than once. Now you have to go into a store to do it . The SIM is $25.00.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
    I have 2 phones currently on Tracfone. I want to move one to the new $15 AT&T plan and I want to port the number. When I check on AT&T it says one number can't be ported (the one I actually want) but the other one can be. Any idea why one Tracfone number would be ok and one wouldn't?

It's almost impossible to reach support these days or else I would ask them.
    I tried the same thing on Friday evening. Have 1 phone on Straight Talk using ATT. Plan was $35 BYOP. When I saw the new $15 plan, it was a no brainer. Checked online to see if my number could be ported and it said it couldn't. Went ahead and put the order in online to ATT and when it asked about porting, I went ahead and entered my number. It said my number could be ported. Needless to say, porting has already begun and new sim will be here tomorrow. Already know it is working because when I checked my acct on ST, it is now saying I don't have anything associated with them now.

Carrier(s)
    guess
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ira View Post
    I tried the same thing on Friday evening. Have 1 phone on Straight Talk using ATT. Plan was $35 BYOP. When I saw the new $15 plan, it was a no brainer. Checked online to see if my number could be ported and it said it couldn't. Went ahead and put the order in online to ATT and when it asked about porting, I went ahead and entered my number. It said my number could be ported. Needless to say, porting has already begun and new sim will be here tomorrow. Already know it is working because when I checked my acct on ST, it is now saying I don't have anything associated with them now.
    Will you let us know how the port finishes. IE any extra steps after receiving the sim card.

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    Will you let us know how the port finishes. IE any extra steps after receiving the sim card.
    Got the sim yesterday and installed it last night. Appeared to already be activated, as it never said "sim not provisioned" when I put it in my phone. Called the number that the porting department gave me when I started to port the other day. After being on hold for 40 minutes, they looked it up and said it needed to be activated and proceeded to connect me to the automated over the phone activation. It wouldn't work. Ended up using a new sim that I had and activated it online. Everything seemed to work fine until it gave me my new phone number. I was expecting it to give me the number I was porting or at least the option to, but it didn't. Tried calling them back but they were already closed.

Fast forward to this morning. Called their porting department back and went thru the details again. They said the sim was either used or bad (the one they sent me) and I needed to go to an ATT store and get another. I told them I already had one. They activated it, collected all my CC info and paid for the plan. Got it up and going, but honestly, it shouldn't have been as frustrating as it was. They enclosed a return prepaid shipping label with the sim they sent me so I am going to be a **** with them and mail it back requesting a refund for the bad/used sim.

Carrier(s)
    guess
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ira View Post
    Got the sim yesterday and installed it last night. Appeared to already be activated, as it never said "sim not provisioned" when I put it in my phone. Called the number that the porting department gave me when I started to port the other day. After being on hold for 40 minutes, they looked it up and said it needed to be activated and proceeded to connect me to the automated over the phone activation. It wouldn't work. Ended up using a new sim that I had and activated it online. Everything seemed to work fine until it gave me my new phone number. I was expecting it to give me the number I was porting or at least the option to, but it didn't. Tried calling them back but they were already closed.

Fast forward to this morning. Called their porting department back and went thru the details again. They said the sim was either used or bad (the one they sent me) and I needed to go to an ATT store and get another. I told them I already had one. They activated it, collected all my CC info and paid for the plan. Got it up and going, but honestly, it shouldn't have been as frustrating as it was. They enclosed a return prepaid shipping label with the sim they sent me so I am going to be a **** with them and mail it back requesting a refund for the bad/used sim.
    This is why I asked. I had this same issue a few years ago. Their porting is all messed up for prepaid.

The sim was not bad, they just can't seem to tie a port to the sim they send you and it activates with a new number.

Thanks.