Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: PSA: T-Mobiles $15 plan is totally capped, a not so Uncarrier move

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Who other than the weird group of sycophants and fanboys here
    Right, more personal attacks against those who speak favorably about T-Mobile. The fact is T-Mobile led the industry with 1.9 million total net additions and 7.0 million total net additions in 2019. A LOT of people think favorably about them. But yet somehow your position is that if someone doesn't share your immense disdain for T-mobile they are a "weird group".

It's one thing to complain about something they are doing. It's another to complain about something they haven't done and may not do in three years. And it's even another thing to attack their customers who feel favorable about the service they receive.

I believe the $15 plan is great for those who need something in that price range. It may not be for you and it may not be for other some people. It doesn't have to be for everyone.

Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Right, more personal attacks against those who speak favorably about T-Mobile. The fact is T-Mobile led the industry with 1.9 million total net additions and 7.0 million total net additions in 2019. A LOT of people think favorably about them. But yet somehow your position is that if someone doesn't share your immense disdain for T-mobile they are a "weird group".

It's one thing to complain about something they are doing. It's another to complain about something they haven't done and may not do in three years. And it's even another thing to attack their customers who feel favorable about the service they receive.

I believe the $15 plan is great for those who need something in that price range. It may not be for you and it may not be for other some people. It doesn't have to be for everyone.
    I just dont get what all the hate for T-Mobile is about? Possibly they see the duopoly threatened now that merger is close to being approved?

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Buttler View Post
    I just don’t get what all the hate for T-Mobile is about? Possibly they see the duopoly threatened now that merger is close to being approved?
    It is always like this for years on this board. People that spend almost every post attacking T-Mobile like Elecconnec starts calling us “ sycophants and fanboys “. Then he calls me a “Shill”o. If he gets banned he just creates a new account name and starts name calling every one that is happy with T-Mobile.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 03-31-2020 at 08:51 PM.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    I don't understand why everyone thinks or at least pretends that prices were going to remain the same forever? I mean, do some of you honestly believe that the cost of goods and services aren't driven by consumer demand, the economy and availability of resources and competition?

There seems to be some amazing psychics out there who knew T-Mobile would be raising prices over the next 3 years without this deal.

Thank you for saving us our future dollars.
    The relative size of pre-merger T-Mobile ensured they'd have to price themselves well below the big two to remain competitive, to compensate for weaker coverage.

I can't promise McDonald's won't ever raise the price of a Big Mac, but I can promise it'll always be cheaper than a burger at Applebee's, Chili's or Outback, because the latter three are a pricier tier of restaurant.

As I've said many times here, the real danger of the merger isn't really the consolation of four carriers to three, but the removal of the second/"bargain" tier of carriers, since the merged companies have similar size and assets of the the other two. It'd be like if Spirit, Frontier and Southwest airlines all merged together to better compete with United, American and Delta. Then we'd have four 1st-tier airlines and essentially no second tier left to "try harder".

(Yeah, I understand DISH is supposed to be the second tier replacement for old Sprint and T-Mo, but they'll essentially be just a glorified New T-Mo MVNO for the near to mid- term. It'd be like allowing Ford and GM to merge by claiming Lincoln, Mercury, Buick and Cadillac will act as their competitors.)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post

I like how you selectively quoted half of a sentence I wrote and then went off on a rant that had nothing to do with my post.

The "here" was HoFo, not the T-Mo forum, and the "weird group of sycophants and fanboys" (as the rest of the sentence you failed to quote *clearly* said) were "supporters of T-Mo, AT&T and Verizon", not "those who speak favorably about T-Mo". (Even forgetting for a moment that there a big difference between "speaking favorably about T-Mo" and jumping on any minute criticism of T-Mo as if you're Magenta-robed Inquisitors denouncing heretics!)

Any "disdain" I have for T-Mo is in your imagination, fueled by your seeming inability to reconcile *any* criticism of T-Mo with any feeling other than blind hated for them. I've stated many times that I'm a relatively happy T-Mo customer, but that doesn't mean I love or agree with everything that they do. I love my wife, but I could still find a bunch of things to criticize about her (and she, me!) If I explained on a homemaker forum that I hate the way she loads the dishwasher, you'd probably suggest I divorce her. (Extrapolating from the numerous times you've suggested I switch carriers when I've criticised any aspect of T-Mo service.)

As to T-Mo's 7 million adds, good for them. That shows many folks prefer T-Mo to the other available options- not that 7 million more souls just pledged undying loyalty to Magenta.

And what did I say against the $15 plan that has your knickers in a twist? If you scroll back a few posts you'll note I defended it against the "PSA" trashing it for not including unlimited throttled data. (But admittedly I found it ironic that since it didn't include unlimited throttled data, a certain Defender of the Faith here had to immediately declare throttled data worthless, lest he have to admit AT&T offered something of value at that price point that T-Mo didn't...)

Again, as I asked earlier, 'What world do you live in where normal people "support" giant corporations like they're sports teams?' The mood here (again, meaning on HoFo, but on this particular forum as well) is that there's some sort of war between followers of "our" wireless service and "theirs". This ridiculous "you're either with us or ag'in' us" attitude is both stupid and counter-productive. I've had more objective discussions about baseball with fervent Chicago Cubs fans than I've had about cell service here on HoFo.

I "love" T-Mo just enough to give them, instead of their competitors, my money in return for wireless service- no more, no less. But I do apologize if I've sinned. When my local T-Mo store reopens, I'll confess to the manager to get absolution...

Device(s)
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 3a, Pixel 4XL, Moto X4, Moto G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    I like T-Mobile and what they have done to the cellular market in terms of overall savings for all of us. What I think many users are really growing tired of (hence the griping) is the incessant advertising promising “X” without really delivering. If you believe their hype, they serve more folks than Verizon and have better coverage. They don’t, at least not yet. In my cross-country travels over the past two years, my wife’s Verizon plan (initially Verizon Prepaid, now Visible) always has more consistent coverage, whether it be in rural areas in the middle of nowhere or populated areas. I use Google Fi and T-Mobile is their anchor network. Oddly, my phone switches to Sprint more than T-Mobile when on these trips, which has been surprising to me but at the same time, demonstrates a potential benefit of the merger. In time, T-Mobile’s geographical coverage will probably improve but if mergers have taught us anything, prices rarely ever go down after they take place. Latest example of this is what AT&T has done with DirecTv and now with their own entry into satellite TV over the past year or two.
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Peter: Respectfully, the majority of Americans are covered just fine with T-Mobile and for us it isnt hype.

I would never pay T-Mobile if they offered me poor service and I believe all of us here are reasonable enough to know the difference.

Thankfully for those with poor Magenta service there are other options; and the good news is that they are expanding their coverage every day.
    The Internet wasnt meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so its insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead its a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text. John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Any "disdain" I have for T-Mo is in your imagination
    No, it's been documented in your posts. It was just three days ago that you accused T-Mobile of "conning the feds" of all things.

The "here" was HoFo, not the T-Mo forum, and the "weird group of sycophants and fanboys" (as the rest of the sentence you failed to quote *clearly* said) were "supporters of T-Mo, AT&T and Verizon",
    It doesn't matter that you listed AT&T and Verizon in your statement. The fact is that you are calling posters in this forum names for simply stating positive opinions about T-Mobile that doesn't match your own viewpoint.

'What world do you live in where normal people "support" giant corporations like they're sports teams?'
    It must be just horrible for you to see any other person who doesn't share your view that all corporations are evil and intend everyone harm.

I will leave you with a quote from today's T-Mobile's merger press release which directly addresses this:

"New T-Mobile will capitalize on the winning formula it built and double down on what customers love about the brand. It will also continue to be a force for good, pledging not only to be a bigger company but also a better company. New T-Mobile customers should expect everything the Un-carrier has ALWAYS stood for: treating customers right, shaking up the status quo and being a force for good. The company will use its network to lift up communities nationwide and bring the benefits of 5G to as many Americans as possible, and it will continue supporting the programs and causes that matter most to employees and the communities they serve. "

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/t-mobi...nt-one-company

Just fantastic.

Feedback Score
    Jet, you're spitting into the wind.

Maybe it IS only the two of us that have that opinion, but somehow I doubt it.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I like how you selectively quoted half of a sentence I wrote and then went off on a rant that had nothing to do with my post.

The "here" was HoFo, not the T-Mo forum, and the "weird group of sycophants and fanboys" (as the rest of the sentence you failed to quote *clearly* said) were "supporters of T-Mo, AT&T and Verizon", not "those who speak favorably about T-Mo". (Even forgetting for a moment that there a big difference between "speaking favorably about T-Mo" and jumping on any minute criticism of T-Mo as if you're Magenta-robed Inquisitors denouncing heretics!)

Any "disdain" I have for T-Mo is in your imagination, fueled by your seeming inability to reconcile *any* criticism of T-Mo with any feeling other than blind hated for them. I've stated many times that I'm a relatively happy T-Mo customer, but that doesn't mean I love or agree with everything that they do. I love my wife, but I could still find a bunch of things to criticize about her (and she, me!) If I explained on a homemaker forum that I hate the way she loads the dishwasher, you'd probably suggest I divorce her. (Extrapolating from the numerous times you've suggested I switch carriers when I've criticised any aspect of T-Mo service.)

As to T-Mo's 7 million adds, good for them. That shows many folks prefer T-Mo to the other available options- not that 7 million more souls just pledged undying loyalty to Magenta.

And what did I say against the $15 plan that has your knickers in a twist? If you scroll back a few posts you'll note I defended it against the "PSA" trashing it for not including unlimited throttled data. (But admittedly I found it ironic that since it didn't include unlimited throttled data, a certain Defender of the Faith here had to immediately declare throttled data worthless, lest he have to admit AT&T offered something of value at that price point that T-Mo didn't...)

Again, as I asked earlier, 'What world do you live in where normal people "support" giant corporations like they're sports teams?' The mood here (again, meaning on HoFo, but on this particular forum as well) is that there's some sort of war between followers of "our" wireless service and "theirs". This ridiculous "you're either with us or ag'in' us" attitude is both stupid and counter-productive. I've had more objective discussions about baseball with fervent Chicago Cubs fans than I've had about cell service here on HoFo.

I "love" T-Mo just enough to give them, instead of their competitors, my money in return for wireless service- no more, no less. But I do apologize if I've sinned. When my local T-Mo store reopens, I'll confess to the manager to get absolution...

You also accused me of being two face about the $15 plan deal between Liking T-Mobile and disliking AT&T version of the $15 plan. That was a total lie since I never even commented about that $15 deal on either company. You also called me a Shill. Are you going to deny that you were name calling me just like you now are claiming you were not including me in as a “ psychopath and a Fanboy”? Why are you allowed to attack people Just because they don’t have a negative nasty opinion about T-Mobile. I reported you twice but I see you are still pretending you did nothing wrong or insulted no one accept the HoFo board.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    You also accused me of being two face about the $15 plan deal between Liking T-Mobile and disliking AT&T version of the $15 plan. That was a total lie since I never even commented about that $15 deal on either company. You also called me a Shill. Are you going to deny that you were name calling me just like you now are claiming you were not including me in as a psychopath and a Fanboy? Why are you allowed to attack people Just because they dont have a negative nasty opinion about T-Mobile. I reported you twice but I see you are still pretending you did nothing wrong or insulted no one accept the HoFo board.
    Sorry, at the risk of getting a third demerit from you, I'll try to clarify. I think you misunderstood at least some of my post, so I'll try to write this one more slowly so you can follow along.

I was accusing *Jet*, not you, of dismissing throttled data as a useful feature because AT&T offered it in their $15 plan and T-Mobile didn't. I was just pointing out the apparent hypocrisy of how throttled data went from a brilliant "uncarrier" move when T-Mo first introduced it, to suddenly worthless when T-Mo doesn't offer it on one particular plan.

I did not accuse you of that- I accused *you* of dismissing mmWave as worthless when you thought T-Mo had no plans to offer it, then begrudgingly backtracking and accepting it as potentially useful in some instances when you were told the House That Legere Built was also deploying it. (See "hypocrisy" above.) The reason I mentioned the two examples together is they fit the exact same fanboy pattern: if "my" company offers a feature, it's good, if "my" company doesn't, it's clearly worthless.

As for "Shill-o", yeah, that probably crossed a line, but if the Buster Browns fit...

As for including you in "psychopaths and fanboys" I certainly did *not* include you in that, because I never said that. I said "*sycophants* and fanboys". After you Google it come back and re-ask the question... (Spoiler alert: "Yes!") But don't feel special in thinking I've singled you out- HoFo is crawling with self-appointed "Company Men". Besides this forum, look at the AT&T vs. Verizon threads, the Cricket vs. AT&T threads (populated by fanboys apparently too stupid to realize they're actually just two different squads playing for the same team!) etc. At this point Jet would usually (and fairly!) ask "well, why don't you complain about them on their forums" and my answer is because *I don't care* about AT&T, Verizon, or Cricket. I only care about the service I use: T-Mobile. If and when I ever switch to Cricket, I'll complain about the issues with that service and unload on the shills, fanboys, and idiots there if warranted.

And I apologize that I was unaware you've "reported me twice" for whatever infractions you've reported me for. I've never received any notification from HoFo about it. Perhaps the (vastly overworked as of late!) mods are too busy, or perhaps I've fallen just short of whatever level of heinousness necessary to meet HoFo's standards for a warning or ban.

Or perhaps they've, as the saying goes, just considered the source? Either way, cheer up, Shilo-, I'm sure the third time's the charm!

My final apologies are to the regular contributors here that didn't sign up to be an audience for this nonsense. I thought hard about this today after reading a piece in The Verge by Dieter Bohn, one of my fellow ex-Microsoft Windows Mobile MVPs back in the years B.I. (Before iPhone). <https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/2/21203930/sprint-eulogy-t-mobile-acquisition> The article briefly touched upon the glory days of HoFo, reminding me of when it truly was a mobile phone enthusiast's site, and not, well, whatever it's devolved into these days. I apologize for any part I've played in that de-evolution- my only defense is that it's sometimes hard to hold my tongue wading through the noise of the constant shilling, hypocrisy, and blatent li..., er, um, 'exaggerations', while trying to get to the wealth of news, information and knowledge often available here. Half the posts here these days sound like g**d*** press releases. (I won't name any names, but... well, you know...)

I'll try to rein it in a little, if only to avoid adding to the problem for the smaller-every-day subset of members here that actually are interested in sharing wireless news and information, rather than expressing their need to display their obvious superiority over the rest of us peasants because they selected The One True Wireless Carrier (regardless of which "One" that happens to be.) It's frankly embarrassing when one has to turn to Reddit instead of HoFo to have a more reasoned discussion about wireless service!

Anyway, please pardon the interruption. We now return to our regular HoFo programming...

Stay safe, kids!

Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Peter: Respectfully, the majority of Americans are covered just fine with T-Mobile and for us it isnt hype.

I would never pay T-Mobile if they offered me poor service and I believe all of us here are reasonable enough to know the difference.

Thankfully for those with poor Magenta service there are other options; and the good news is that they are expanding their coverage every day.
    Danny you are right on the button. T-Mobile may not cover every square mile of the country but they do a nice job when they do cover the areas most important to people.

Feedback Score
    I was accusing *Jet*, not you, of dismissing throttled data as a useful feature because AT&T offered it in their $15 plan and T-Mobile didn't.
    Of course I dismissed it as a "useful feature" because I've found it to be completely useless in my own tests. I know that some have found the 128K usable in other other countries on the international plan. I've never tried to use it internationally. But domestically, it's generally worthless.

Clonehappy posted that he took the time to see that one could get some use "If you know how to use it":

Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    But if you turn on data saver and only allow the app you're trying to use it can be usable.

Very slow but still usable. Like others have said, basic messaging and email mostly but I've streamed standard-bitrate XM on the throttled connection before. Mostly as a matter of seeing if it would work because these are just backup lines for me.
    But in doing so, he showed the complexity needed to get any value out of it at all. But because you're beloved AT&T is offering it, you can't cease praising it. Let us know when you hear from your friends at AT&T when they're committed to keeping their plan in place as long as T-Mobile has agreed to.

As for "Shill-o", yeah, that probably crossed a line
    Indeed.

But don't feel special in thinking I've singled you out- HoFo is crawling with self-appointed "Company Men".
    Why single anyone out? Why not talk about the topics at hand instead of constantly attacking others with such name calling like: "shills, fanboys, and idiots".

Feedback Score
    I don't get the I'm on team "so and so" stuff to begin with. But ok if that's your thing why not just say "I feel my carrier is #1 here's why" and not get upset when someone disagrees. And if others have facts that maybe show a place where your carrier is lacking instead of insulting and dismissing that info because it would challenge your worldview be a grown adult and maybe consider the info. And if you posted info that ended up being wrong man-up and admit "Hey I was wrong about that" NO carrier is perfect so quit thinking yours( whichever that happens to be ) is. I have more respect for "fans" of a carrier that can call out their favorite carrier's faults than those that just think it's perfect and get upset when you point out the flaws.

At the end of the day it best if all 3 carriers are strong and healthy and offer similar coverage everywhere. This is where they can be put in check and offer the best plans and the best pricing. This notion of "MY team has to win so that means your team has to lose." is silly. EVERYONE can win. EVERYONE should want EVERYONE to win.

Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    I don't get the I'm on team "so and so" stuff to begin with. But ok if that's your thing why not just say "I feel my carrier is #1 here's why" and not get upset when someone disagrees. And if others have facts that maybe show a place where your carrier is lacking instead of insulting and dismissing that info because it would challenge your worldview be a grown adult and maybe consider the info. And if you posted info that ended up being wrong man-up and admit "Hey I was wrong about that" NO carrier is perfect so quit thinking yours( whichever that happens to be ) is. I have more respect for "fans" of a carrier that can call out their favorite carrier's faults than those that just think it's perfect and get upset when you point out the flaws.

At the end of the day it best if all 3 carriers are strong and healthy and offer similar coverage everywhere. This is where they can be put in check and offer the best plans and the best pricing. This notion of "MY team has to win so that means your team has to lose." is silly. EVERYONE can win. EVERYONE should want EVERYONE to win.
    Why are you upset about all this? Are you afraid T-Mobile will take over the number one spot from your beloved Verizon?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast