Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: PSA: T-Mobiles $15 plan is totally capped, a not so Uncarrier move

BTA-44: MTA-29: MSA-41: PEA-40: CMA-41: BEA-78: MEA-24
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+ (unlocked), Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score

PSA: T-Mobiles $15 plan is totally capped, a not so Uncarrier move

https://www.androidauthority.com/t-m...a-cap-1099335/

The new T-Mobile Connect mobile plan makes one big sacrifice that directly conflicts with the carrier's prior commitments.

Earlier this week, T-Mobile released its new $15 per month Connect prepaid mobile plan. T-Mobile Connect promises users unlimited calls and texts plus 2GB of data or 5GB if you are willing to fork over $10 more per month. Back in 2014, the "Uncarrier" announced that it would be doing away with data caps and overages by offering unlimited data at reduced speeds, even if customers used up all of their high-speed data allotment. Unfortunately, that's not the case for T-Mobile Connect. After looking closer at the plan's fine print, you will see the carrier will simply shut off your data when you reach the limit. It doesn't look like customers will see accidental overages, but in order to use more than 2 or 5GB of data, they will need to purchase an additional data pass. That means the $15 price tag could go up pretty quickly if you aren't careful. Read also: Family plans which carrier is the best for your family? T-Mobile first announced the Connect plan back in November. The carrier initially planned to launch it after the Sprint merger finalized. Connect's release was pushed forward in response to the current COVID-19 pandemic since many people need a budget-friendly plan to keep them connected during this time of social isolation. At first, this looked like a great thing, but now, this move doesn't seem very true to T-Mobile's Uncarrier identity. If the real goal of the plan was to keep people connected, then offering a plan with such harsh data limitations doesn't make a lot of sense. If you are looking for a way to stay entertained and keep in touch with friends and family during this quarantine, you might want to pass on T-Mobile Connect. Sure it's cheap, but if you truly rely on your mobile data, there are better options out there.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T Unlimited & More w/ 2 Lines
    AT&T TV w/ HBO

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I mean... its $15 a month.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I disagree with the substance and inference of the article. It tries to paint the offering as some kind of: gotcha, and something you probably dont want.

The $15 rate plan for example is cheap as hell, available to anyone without a credit check, supports BYOD, includes domestic roaming, Personal Hotspot,VoLTE, Wi-Fi calling and 5G access at no additional charge.

Plus the option to buy more data when youre in a jam to me is a plus not a minus.
    The Internet wasnt meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so its insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead its a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text. John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Plus the option to buy more data when you’re in a jam to me is a plus not a minus.
    Not really, I'm with shortyd999, it'd be much better if they throttled to 128kbps at 2GB, and provided the option to buy more high-speed data if you want, than to shut it off at 2GB. Honestly 128kbps data is slow enough that someone using 3+GB of data a month, they're not going to want to be stuck at 128kbps for 1/3rd or half the month or more, they will still stick with a larger plan. But it's more customer friendly to at least eventually get your GMail etc. than it is to just cut it off.

But, as you say, it's $15...

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    I disagree with the substance and inference of the article. It tries to paint the offering as some kind of: gotcha, and something you probably dont want.

The $15 rate plan for example is cheap as hell, available to anyone without a credit check, supports BYOD, includes domestic roaming, Personal Hotspot,VoLTE, Wi-Fi calling and 5G access at no additional charge.

Plus the option to buy more data when youre in a jam to me is a plus not a minus.
    Agreed. For starters, T-Mo has never hidden the fact that this plan lacks the unlimited throttled data of their other plans. While I'm on record here criticizing T-Mo for representing this plan as "half price" in the initial press release (implying it was new lower pricing of an existing plan, as opposed to a new plan) they've never implied this plan includes unlimited throttled data.

Secondly, I'm happy to see T-Mo offer more options to hit different price points. I was annoyed when T-Mo originally introduced the "One" plans (which eventually became Magenta) because they became the only plans T-Mo offered to new signups at the time. (T-Mo eventually offered Essentials to widen the net a little.) These plans offer a new lower cost alternative to customers needing fewer features. Most features have some sort of intrinsic cost T-Mo must absorb to offer ("free" international data, domestic roaming, etc.) so by offering fewer features in certain plans they can offer a lower price on them.

I also took issue with the article implying T-Mo's decision not to include unlimited throttled data somehow put them at odds with industry norms. T-Mo "invented" unlimited throttled data, and other carriers copied them. When T-Mo introduced that feature, the other carriers charged punitive overage fees at the time. Even now, this plan simply stops allowing data when the included bucket runs out- it doesn't charge overage fees.

There are plenty of things all corporations do (and sorry kids, that includes T-Mo!) that we can legitimately complain about, but the de-featuring of these new plans isn't one of them. If the $15 plan had the same features of the $30 plan, it wouldn't be $15...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Just get AT&T's $15 plan, apparently it includes throttled data after the 2GB!

I wonder if T-Mobile will respond to their one-upping?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto X4 & G7; Pixel 3a & 4xl; Nexus 5x; IPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    Just get AT&T's $15 plan, apparently it includes throttled data after the 2GB!

And rollover data.
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    Is offering the speed of 128 Kbps really one-upping? Have you tried to do anything at 128 Kbps lately?

Feedback Score
    Its better than being cut off completely. Not ideal by any means but is usable for simple stuff like emails etc
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Is offering the speed of 128 Kbps really one-upping? Have you tried to do anything at 128 Kbps lately?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyjones View Post
    Its better than being cut off completely. Not ideal by any means but is usable for simple stuff like emails etc
    On a modern smartphone, I've not found it to be useful at all. The apps just hang up. Even an email will take forever to load if it ever does.

Feedback Score
    Verizon customer here. On their tiered data plans both prepaid and postpaid they have safety mode when you go over and it's 128 kbps. It's useless. It basically like not having service at all. At least having the hard cap you KNOW you're being cut off and no under the illusions you still have usable data. Any minimum should be 256 kbps and even that's pushing it.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    If you know how to use it, it works.

Normally the average Android phone is so busy in the background trying to do God-knows-what that the connection is unusable. But if you turn on data saver and only allow the app you're trying to use it can be usable.

Very slow but still usable. Like others have said, basic messaging and email mostly but I've streamed standard-bitrate XM on the throttled connection before. Mostly as a matter of seeing if it would work because these are just backup lines for me.

It's still better than nothing. Not to mention the rollover data that most people on low usage plans would actually benefit from. So yeah T-Mobile got one upped by AT&T, just by a little. It's okay, competition doesn't kill anyones.

Device(s)
    IPHONE 11
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

PSA: T-Mobiles $15 plan is totally capped, a not so Uncarrier move

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyjones View Post
    You should then port over to att if your not happy with T-Mobiles plan offerings.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Buttler View Post
    You should then port over to att if your not happy with T-Mobiles plan offerings.
    Its almost like we cant have a discussion about the pros and cons of plans on different carriers. What did your comment add to the conversation?

Im pretty sure everyone here knows that if youd like a certain carriers plan, then you need to activate service with that carrier.

I wouldnt take it super personal if someone prefers an AT&T plan over a T-Mobile plan, myself.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Yes, I have, because I had it overseas with T-Mo's free international data.

Email, maps, Google Voice, and simple web searches worked just fine. Certainly better than having no data.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast