Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Red Pocket changed international calling 2020

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket Verizon prepaid monthly
    Feedback Score

Red Pocket changed international calling 2020

Red Pocket Mobile's international calling was working in 2019, but trying some numbers today didn't work.

Their help page for the topic https://help.redpocket.com/hc/en-us/...national-call- has been updated, and comparing it to the saved page I programmed the existing numbers in from, the changes seem to be that what was 011 is now 001, and the ending "#" is no longer used.

But, trying their new instructions manually does not work.
    One point is factually wrong already, in that there is no "beep".

And once I'm dialling the international number, before I've even finished, I'm being told "The number you have entered is not valid, please enter the number you wish to call".

So, I need to try the dreaded chat with them, but wanted to ask here, in case anybody has figured out the real scoop.

(In other words, is the help page wrong, e.g. the ending "#" is actually needed, or RPM dropped free international calling and isn't telling anybody?.)

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Just tried an international call and it worked. Where are you trying to call? I know some changes were made in early 2019 as South Africa is no longer a free call but not sure what else? What carrier are you using?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    What worked, the old 011 then "#" or the new 001 and nothing to end the sequence?

(The numbers I'm trying are to European countries, still in RPM's list)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I called the British Consulate using 011442072194272. Since I'm using Verizon, I also had to use the 7127758888 Verizon prefix.

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I just ended a chat, where the CSR gave me instructions first to dial the 712 number, then use 011.
    But then he said to remove the SIM, and upon powering up to dial the number directly, using 011.
    I asked if that meant Verizon would now let me dial internationally directly, without the 712 number first, and he said "yes."

So I'm going to try that.

(Note to all that the help page use just updated to the dial 712 then use 001 a half hour before the chat.)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Let me know what happens

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I did the powering down and SIM removal as advised.
    Trying an international number, starting with 011, get the message:
    "Welcome to Verizon Wireless. This call cannot be completed because there are restrictions on this line. Announcement 24."

Trying an existing international number in Contacts that has worked before (dialling 712, then using 011) gets the "The number you have entered is not valid, please enter the number you wish to call" message, even before all the digits are entered.

So I'm wondering if the help page at https://help.redpocket.com/hc/en-us/...national-call- is different due to typos, rather than intentional changes?

If (CDMA/Verizon) international calling still works for everyone else, that is dialling the 712 number first, then giving the international number as 011 ending with the "#", then just my lines are not working.

But then why an update help page?

Edit: In the past, if the international number is wrong, then I get the recording from that country. So the present problem is that anything I dial is being rejected immediately.

Other minor point, in the past, the touch tones would be super fast, and now they are slow. Could they simply be too slow, and so timing out? (And where is that set? The phone is a Moto G6.)

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rd10221 View Post
    Other minor point, in the past, the touch tones would be super fast, and now they are slow. Could they simply be too slow, and so timing out? (And where is that set? The phone is a Moto G6.)
    In another thread I started just to examine the technical aspects of this, to even find the language to discuss it, I finally found a web page https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/Dual_...equency_(DTMF) that explains:

The tone duration of DTMF is variable depending on the system used. Standard Whelen timing is 40ms tone, 20ms space, where standard Motorola rate is 250ms tone, 250ms space. Federal Signal ranges from 35ms tone 5ms space to 1000ms tone 1000ms space. Genave Superfast rate is 20ms tone 20ms space. Genave claims their decoders can even respond to 20ms tone 5ms space.

In general, DTMF's speed when being send manually (as people type on a DTMF keypad) will be variable and not rigidly structured, as in tone length and space length will happen loosely as the keys are pressed. Electric systems using DTMF dialing will be rigid and have equal tone and break lengths between tones.

Where in their Samples, "Normal 50/50" sounds like what I used to have when the Red Pocket international dialling worked vs. the "Motorola 250/250" I have now with Red Pocket international dialling not working.

So, to anyone following and testing, are your touch tones fast or slow?

And I'm wondering if I should ask the "Elite Telecom" RPM states is their provider for International calling.
    (I doubt the usual RPM CSR would understand what I am asking about.)

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Folks,

I'm on RedPocket GSMA (AT&T) and call Germany once a week or so. I have the numbers I call in my contacts with the +49 (country code for Germany) prefix. I usually just dial the number directly from my contacts. It will ring twice or so and then a voice says "please wait while we connect your call". After that the call goes through and I hear the German ring tone.

A couple weeks ago when I tried calling Germany, I did the same as above but after the ringing twice I heard "please enter the number you wish to call". When I heard this, I entered 011 and manually typed in the Germany number I wanted to call (country code followed by phone number). After that, the call went through.

I'm not sure if the circuits were busy on the US side or what the issue was. Either way, calls went through, just not automatically like in the past.

Eric

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fv22652 View Post
    A couple weeks ago when I tried calling Germany, [...]
    Germany is the country I need to reach the most.

Did you ever see a Red Pocket help page describing the change you encountered?

My wondering if fast vs. slow touch tones being an issue could be a wrong tack.
    Their international calling facility must assume human speed dialling, and not expect rapid machine speed.

Trying to deal with RPM tech support is a nightmare.
    It may take ten chats, with each telling me something entirely different, to piece together nuggets that may reveal the real reason.
    If they are a front end to another's service, that is another layer of complexity to deal with.
    If nobody else is having trouble, then it could be my RPM account. Or the two identical phones I have on the account.

Feedback Score
    rd10221, just to clarify, are you using RP Vzw?

In the past, RP Vzw international calling required dialing an access # and then following the instructions to dial the international #.

I think you said you tried that, but Digital Rules said he dialed that way using RP Vzw and it worked.

Have you specifically tried calling the 7127758888 RP Vzw international access # and then dialing the British Consulate using 011442072194272?

If that works, have you tried calling a DIFFERENT German phone # to see if there might be something wrong with the German # you're trying to call?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Just tried calling Domino's Pizza in Berlin & it worked fine. (011493027572410) I did have to enter the number twice after the access code as I got the invalid number recording the 1st time.

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I am on RPM's CDMA setup for Verizon.
    Last year, in Feb 2019, I put many international test numbers in my phone, to establish the dialling pattern needed, then put real people's numbers in my wife's phone for actual phone communications.
    There are more test numbers in my notes from last year.
    So I've tested many numbers from a few different European countries, on Friday when I first posted here.

Over time, I got complacent that RPM actually worked, then stopped routine testing of international calling.

What is confusing about the current problem is that upon dialling the 712 access number, and given the go ahead, is that the error message is the same lady's voice before the international number is even fully dialled. So the call isn't even being attempted. I did not try simply trying re-dialling the international number. The strangely updated RPM help page at https://help.redpocket.com/hc/en-us/...national-call- the same day made me wonder if they truly had changed something, yet everybody here is calling without doing that change.

If RPM had disabled international calling on my account, I'm thinking I wouldn't even get that far in the process.
    So I don't where the problem is happening. Using 001 and 011 both failled.

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    One more question for all, before I start calling the test numbers I programmed into Contacts, as preparation for another chat with RPM.

When the 1-712-775-8888 access number is called, and if nothing is entered, how long before you get an error message?

For me, presently, around five (5) seconds elapse before the same voice says "the number you have entered is not valid please enter the number you wish to call."

That is a fairly short time out period if they expect a human to dial the international number.

Edit: Just now, in one of those test calls, an existing test number (programmed last year) for Dublin, Ireland, worked.
    That is, using the 011 before, and "#" after the international number.

So my account was just farkled for a period of time?
    I still have to call the rest of the test numbers.
    And Digital Rules 011 44 2072194272 worked, too.

Testing my wife's phone for the number she tried to call on Friday afternoon, gets no error message, and the call is put through, though gets a wrong number recording, but at least it reached Germany.

Calling the access number now still gets the error message in five (5) seconds, but the difference now is that the touch tones I enter are being listened to, rather than ignored.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rd10221 View Post
    When the 1-712-775-8888 access number is called, and if nothing is entered, how long before you get an error message?
    Yep, about 5 seconds till the error message begins playing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast