Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can you activate a Tracfone with only the PIN purchased at Walmart?

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score

Can you activate a Tracfone with only the PIN purchased at Walmart?

I purchased a Tracfone MyFlip for a homeless client. I know he can purchase refills at Walmart with cash, which is how he'll do it. But can he buy his first month and activate service with cash? So if I give him the phone with the unactivated SIM card inserted, will he then be able to buy a $15 PIN at Walmart and establish service on the $15/month plan that way?

Or does he need to find somebody with a computer and activate it online? I chatted online with a TF agent who said it could be done, but as we all know here, they don't always give accurate information.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    most walmart's can add / activate service for you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I purchased a Tracfone MyFlip for a homeless client. I know he can purchase refills at Walmart with cash, which is how he'll do it. But can he buy his first month and activate service with cash? So if I give him the phone with the unactivated SIM card inserted, will he then be able to buy a $15 PIN at Walmart and establish service on the $15/month plan that way?

Or does he need to find somebody with a computer and activate it online? I chatted online with a TF agent who said it could be done, but as we all know here, they don't always give accurate information.
    You should be able to do it with a phone call to TF support (from another working phone). You will need the SIM number, IMEI of the phone and the PIN. These are three long number strings that have to be exactly correct. It would be a very tedious call with the fractured English of the TF support reps.

As another posted, it would be worth asking if Walmart can do it in the store. I don't know if they offer that anymore. I think my sister tried that a year ago and was told no, do it yourself.

Once the phone is activated it should be fairly easy to add new PINs for service.

Feedback Score
    Can't the phone be activated by calling the TF help desk directly from the phone, isn't the number 611¿?

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Activate online, if possible, and use a promo code. I've seen walmart employees do it and if not maybe a best buy guy.or girl.

Feedback Score
    https://tracfonereviewer.blogspot.co...1#comment-form

Link to TF Reviewer page of promo codes, Turk Forums Holy Scroll might have more info.

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    You should be able to do it with a phone call to TF support (from another working phone). You will need the SIM number, IMEI of the phone and the PIN. These are three long number strings that have to be exactly correct. It would be a very tedious call with the fractured English of the TF support reps.
    I would use the online automated system for a simple new activation. It can be done from a written list with a phone call, and that was once the only way. It's easier and more accurate to have the necessary information in an open text file that can be copied and pasted into a chat window.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    Link to TF Reviewer page of promo codes, Turk Forums Holy Scroll might have more info.
    The $15 plans tend to not have promo codes.

Feedback Score
    Once the phone is activated it should be fairly easy to add new PINs for service.
    You may not be able to add airtime from the phone though. The MyFlip has no My Account app.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    I would use the online automated system for a simple new activation. It can be done from a written list with a phone call, and that was once the only way. It's easier and more accurate to have the necessary information in an open text file that can be copied and pasted into a chat window.
    So would I, but the original question was if it can be done without a computer for a homeless person. Chances are good that the library for public computer/Internet access is closed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    You may not be able to add airtime from the phone though. The MyFlip has no My Account app.
    Doesn't TF have a phone number like PP does where you just call it and tell them or enter the PIN#. No need for an app.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Doesn't TF have a phone number like PP does where you just call it and tell them or enter the PIN#. No need for an app.
    Sure you can just call the main CS number for adding airtime. A number of years ago that was the only way.

Feedback Score
    So would I, but the original question was if it can be done without a computer for a homeless person. Chances are good that the library for public computer/Internet access is closed.
    Yes, the libraries are closed anyplace with a lock down. Some Internet would be available, but not much help with an activation, unless some other device (phone, tablet, laptop) could be used. A homeless shelter might be used if there is one available. Once activated, adding airtime is not that difficult. Can be done from the phone in a pinch. When I was traveling years ago with my first Tracfone, that was the only way to add airtime. That was expensive because you were roaming at a 2X charge.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    It would be a very tedious call with the fractured English of the TF support reps.
    You don't have to talk to a rep. There's an automated system. Just punch in the numbers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    You don't have to talk to a rep. There's an automated system. Just punch in the numbers.
    Internet access is the problem here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast