Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1,200,000 less cell phone users

Feedback Score

1,200,000 less cell phone users

It’s been talked about in some Intelligence Communities that China now has 1,200,000 less cell phone users than on 1/1/2020. Can you say Corona Virus. A very large east coast PD is monitoring the situation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sevillelady View Post
    It’s been talked about in some Intelligence Communities that China now has 1,200,000 less cell phone users than on 1/1/2020. Can you say Corona Virus. A very large east coast PD is monitoring the situation.
    Well, their economy is in the crapper like ours. Not a surprise that 0.1% of their population can no longer afford a phone. I'm sure the US is looking at a larger % loss.

Feedback Score
    The discussions of less cell phone users was not due to the economy, I assure you.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    "Did you hear about this surfer guy who pulled a knife on Mr. Hand this morning?"

"Oh, no! He just called him a ****."

"A ****? Oh, God. People exaggerate so much here."

Funny -- the conspiracy articles said it was 21 million:

https://www.theepochtimes.com/the-cl...l_3281291.html

https://forums.catholic.com/t/21-mil...th-toll/598132

Don't believe everything you read...

Feedback Score
    This type of unsubstantiated fear mongering is the last thing people need right now.

Please cite your source, or kindly move along.

Feedback Score
    You are not entitled to know the Intell source. Therefore, I perfer to move along.

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I love a good conspiracy theory.

CoVid-19 was developed in a lab to cause mass hysteria.

The governments of the world are using the pandemic to seize absolute power.

The third temple of Jerusalem will be built and the New World Order will appoint the Antichrist to lead the world to 1,000 years of darkness.

Enjoy the show, folks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post

Lol! Good catch. sevillelady's "CIA source" sure messed this one up. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    "Did you hear about this surfer guy who pulled a knife on Mr. Hand this morning?"

"Oh, no! He just called him a ****."

"A ****? Oh, God. People exaggerate so much here."

https://www.theepochtimes.com/the-cl...l_3281291.html

https://forums.catholic.com/t/21-mil...th-toll/598132

What? Are you suggesting that an Epoch Times story reposted by Breitbart doesn't pass the smell test?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    What? Are you suggesting that an Epoch Times story reposted by Breitbart doesn't pass the smell test?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Breitbart and internet randos can't be trusted?? What is this world coming to???

Feedback Score
    Glad to see others swiftly debunk this nonsense. I guess these "intelligence communities" read (or should I say misread) the Epoch Times, which published a story Sunday, updated on Monday:

"The number of Chinese cellphone users dropped by 21 million in the past three months, Beijing authorities announced on March 19. Deaths due to the CCP virus may have contributed to the high number of account closings."

The article notes that "China introduced mandatory facial scans on Dec. 1, 2019, to confirm the identity of the person who registered the phone." It adds: "Beijing first launched cellphone-based health codes on March 10. All people in China must install a cellphone app and register their personal health information."

It seems quite plausible that the decrease could be attributed to people not wanting to associate a facial scan with their phone or not wanting to install a cellphone app with their personal health information. Either of these would reasonably account for a decrease during the past three months.

Even Breitbart, which regurgitated the Epoch Times story on Tuesday, acknowledged: "The Epoch Times considered several explanations for the loss of users, such as migrant workers who kept different cell phones for their home and work cities – necessary due to some of China’s regulations on phone service – abandoning the work phone because it was not needed during the quarantine period, or people generally canceling their phone service because they wanted to save money during the hard months."

Keep in mind that there are almost 1.6 billion cellphone users in China, according to China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, yet the country's population is 1.4 billion. So, at least 200 million people have more than one cellphone. (Probably more than that unless every newborn baby in China has its own phone.) Maybe some people decided they didn't need two phones, especially since they had to register each of them with the government with a facial scan and then load an invasive app.

While the "intelligence community" has gotten the original report wrong in several ways, it's also worth noting that the Epoch Times is a U.S.-based publication launched by members of the Falun Gong spiritual movement that is banned in China. "It is unclear exactly who owns the paper and how it receives much of its funding," the Associated Press reported in 2007. Chinese officials call it a "propaganda tool." Even the Epoch Times story says only that "deaths ... may have contributed."

So, what we have here is incorrect, third-hand information from a source that likes to make the Chinese government look bad. The "intelligence community" doesn't even get the numbers right. (1.2 million instead of 21 million.)

And considering that only 20,000 people worldwide have died from Covid-19, it seems unlikely that 1.2 million (or 21 million) people have died in China from Covid-19. There have only been 454,398 confirmed Covid-19 cases (cases, not deaths) around the world, according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins University.

As an aside, I'd sure like to know why a "very large" East Coast PD (Police Department?) would care about the number of cellphone users in China. I guess I'm "not entitled" to know exactly which law-enforcement officers are wasting their time with this crap.

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You are not entitled to know the Intell source. Therefore, I perfer to move along.
    So in other words, you fell for a lame conspiracy theory posted somewhere online and you tried to push it here. You then got called out on it and instead of admitting you were fooled you doubled down & tried to act like you have inside information. Good play.
    I suppose you also think the earth is flat.

Feedback Score
    OP works for the CIA (and also posts Top Secret information on HowardForums).

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    I had an extra phone line that will expire in a couple months (annual plan I no longer needed, and the SIM is now bad). So I'll count as a drop then
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I had an extra phone line that will expire in a couple months (annual plan I no longer needed, and the SIM is now bad). So I'll count as a drop then
    You're in China?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast