Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 9.0 Pie OS, Q: like or not like it...?

Feedback Score

9.0 Pie OS, Q: like or not like it...?

I don't yet have a phone with 9.0 Pie operating system and before I buy one, I'd like to know if anyone here has a phone with it and what they like or dislike about it. I'm thinking of buying a Moto e6 (xt2005dl).

Should I wait til the OS is out for awhile, and stick to phones with older OS versions?

I also wonder if anyone is having any difficulty or delays with shipping on items bought at Walmart, Best Buy, eBay TF store, or TF website?

Thnx

Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    The Android version doesn't make much difference to me. A current version tends to get security patches, but I don't really care about them. I kind of like 7.x which still shows battery usage "the old way" (how much was used in the last 3 hrs, a detailed graph, etc). Also, access to the APN seems to be restricted after version 7.x. Newer versions have the split-screen feature, but I never use it.

Device(s)
    Moto g6
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    Should I wait til the OS is out for awhile...
    Pie has been out for nearly two years, which is nearly an eternity in Android terms.

My g6 is running Pie, having originally shipped with Oreo, it received an OS upgrade. I don't believe the Moto e series phones receive OS upgrades, but they will receive security patches periodically. Still, for security purposes it's generally better to be on a newer vs older OS, independent of the security patches.

I have no major gripes with Pie, coming from using Oreo 8.1 on my e5 for over a year. There are actually two frequently used features that I find much more convenient with Pie, namely the fact that the volume controls now default to media and not ringtone, and that a long press of the power button brings up a submenu that includes screen shot. I find that much less cumbersome than the Moto 3-finger screenshot method (which at times inadvertently selects something on the screen).

Feedback Score
    Had a problem with the google download manager when trying to download from the playstore (waiting for download, ad naseum). Had to clear the manager's data manually before downloading.

But lately, the problem has magically disappeared...

Go for it!!!...

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    On Android Pie I don't like;

- The small volume sliders on the right side of the screen. I much prefer the larger sliders at the top of the screen.

-Location is now required for certain apps to work such as LTE Discovery, Network Cell Info,etc.

-Adaptive brightness is useless. When I jump in a dark car, the brightness is @ 0%. The system is supposed to learn your preferred patterns, but I'm not seeing it. The brightness issue may be a Moto thing.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I don't yet have a phone with 9.0 Pie operating system and before I buy one, I'd like to know if anyone here has a phone with it and what they like or dislike about it. I'm thinking of buying a Moto e6 (xt2005dl).

Should I wait til the OS is out for awhile, and stick to phones with older OS versions?...
    I have used phones from 4.0 to 9. They all seem about the same to me. I touch an icon and the app starts. I spend about zero time fiddling with OS settings.

9 has been out for a while already. I think my Moto G6 updated to it about a year ago. The newer the OS, the longer apps will be compatible.

Feedback Score
    Pie Adaptive Brightness is useless. It is never bright enough for the conditions. It also doesn't "learn". It doesn't matter how much you "train" it. This is my number one complaint.

The feature I like the most is the new Phone app that vets incoming calls and flags spam. It doesn't always work, though. I have two phones on Pie. One upgraded itself to Pie (Moto G6 Play) and one already had Pie. The spam detector works better on the upgraded phone, don't know why, they are supposedly the same Phone app.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I am using a Samsung Galaxy 9+ with the latest Android OS 10.0 without any problems. My phone started with Oreo, updated to Pie, and now 10 (there is no nickname for it and it isn't referred to as Q officially). I have had no issues with all 3 versions of the Android OS and wouldn't hesitate to buy a phone with any of those OS versions.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    It seems like as time went by, Goolag got better and better at restricting our ability to restrict it from spying on us.

I drew the line when they got rid of the switch to turn background data off in Android 7.
    And 6 is bad enough with a lot of phones putting up an alert you can't dismiss ordering you to turn it back on.

I'm beginning to think that rooting the phone and de-Goolaging it is the only solution.

Device(s)
    Moto g6
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    -Location is now required for certain apps to work such as LTE Discovery, Network Cell Info,etc.
    That behavior was introduced before Pie. I believe in 7 or 8. For sure I had to turn location on in 8.1 to get LTE Discovery, Network Cell Lite, and WiFi Analyzer to work.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taxmantoo View Post
    I drew the line when they got rid of the switch to turn background data off in Android 7.
    You can still turn off background data usage in Android 8 & 9, although it's more cumbersome because you have to bring up the list of apps and turn it off for each app.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracfoner69 View Post
    a long press of the power button brings up a submenu that includes screen shot. I find that much less cumbersome than the Moto 3-finger screenshot method.
    <power> + <vol down> still works as it has for a long time (at least 4.x)

Many other devices have the 3 finger gesture.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracfoner69 View Post
    That behavior was introduced before Pie. I believe in 7 or 8. For sure I had to turn location on in 8.1 to get LTE Discovery, Network Cell Lite, and WiFi Analyzer to work.
    Didn't need location on the Moto G6 Play till the 9.0 Pie downgrade. Guess it varies depending on particular models.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Didn't need location on the Moto G6 Play till the 9.0 Pie downgrade.
    The cell signal tools work fine for me w/ location off on 9.0. Just limits some functionality.

Google has changed some things over time, in the name of security. I believe this is one of them.
    I believe related to wifi. Though you need your location to determine distance to a cell tower too,

But is it really so hard to turn on location for those apps if you need the extra info?
    How often do you even use them? Not multiple times a day. I don't even use them once a week.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Seems to me having on location is more about ad targeting than anything else, but don't know for sure??

The cell signal tools don't work at all on the G6 Play or E6 with location off. Wi-Fi analyzer does work with the lite version. I do use those apps from time to time, but otherwise only turn on location when navigating.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast