Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Trying to buy a phone for Elderly Brother don't want plan to auto renew

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PL1 View Post
    Oh, that could be the difference, mine is a T-Mobile branded phone, not a TF.
    There is some older info here: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...t-Names-(APNs)

I think depending on which OS/phone/service you have some APN settings may not be editable/viewable. On my TF J3 Luna Pro on Marshmallow, i can see the complete APN settings but can only edit the APN name (and see the changes). On the later OS phones, I can only see and update the name.

Like I mentioned, other TF sister companies may have different APNs and there may be different byop interactions.
    Straight Talk for example IIRC uses TRACFONE.VZWENTP and VZWINTENET will causes loss of data function.

Should be the other way around though since we are Tracfone branded but it just wouldn't be TF if it made sense.

Added: Actually, I can see the complete settings in a TF Moto e5, which has 8.1, but apparently can only edit the name.

But to sum up, I've never heard of a single Tracfone branded smartphone (with its sim) that does not use VZWINTENET as APN.
    If it is set with something else like the WENTP, mobile data does not work. Not sure about rebranding.

I did test this on my TF Rebel 4, the device in question, changing the APN to TRACFONE.VZWENTP. I immediately lost mobile data. I changed it back to VZWINTENET and data came back instantly.
    Last edited by tomseys; 03-25-2020 at 09:52 AM.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    A couple of extremely informative videos on COVID-19...

COVID-19`s progression - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOJq...index=5&t=206s

Comparison of COVID-19 and the Spanish Flu - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJrm8V5KmPs
    Interesting interview with head of Chinese CDC.

Not wearing masks to protect against coronavirus is a ‘big mistake,’ top Chinese scientist says
    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...scientist-says
    Member formerly known as "lappers"

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    When I think about not touching my face, I get itchy.
    So even when no one is around, wearing a mask or even a bandana when out keeps you from accidentally touch your face between opportunities to sanitize your hands.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    When I think about not touching my face, I get itchy.
    So even when no one is around, wearing a mask or even a bandana when out keeps you from accidentally touch your face between opportunities to sanitize your hands.
    I've been wearing them for a few weeks now.
    Have some face shields coming. Hoping this will help a friend who can't stop touching his face when out due to memory problem and poor impulse control.

Interesting article on making effective masks:
    https://www.consumer.org.hk/ws_en/ne...id-19-diymasks

I live pretty close to this hospital:
    https://abc7ny.com/coronavirus-nyc-n...ueens/6061403/
    Last edited by tomseys; 03-30-2020 at 05:40 AM.

Feedback Score
    Hey guys, I have another question about this phone. I had only gotten a 30 day plan and its about to run out. Checked with my brother and he'd like to keep it, so I added a years service by adding something to my cart then deleting to get the 49.99 yr service.

This phone has unlimited talk and text(refurb Rebel 4), do all phones have that now with tracfone? I have a Rebel 3 phone purchased a year ago and I have the 3 buckets. I'd much rather have a tracfone with unlimited talk and texts and only have to buy data. Are there certain phones that have this or is it all phones now?? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTechie View Post
    Hey guys, I have another question about this phone. I had only gotten a 30 day plan and its about to run out. Checked with my brother and he'd like to keep it, so I added a years service by adding something to my cart then deleting to get the 49.99 yr service.

This phone has unlimited talk and text(refurb Rebel 4), do all phones have that now with tracfone? I have a Rebel 3 phone purchased a year ago and I have the 3 buckets. I'd much rather have a tracfone with unlimited talk and texts and only have to buy data. Are there certain phones that have this or is it all phones now?? Thanks!
    Wait. What?

If you want unlimited talk and text and a certain amount of data, you have to buy a special plan. No Tracfone smartphone does this automatically. Tracfones don't do anything automatically except maybe TMFL.

If you want unlimited talk and text with no data, you will need a different company.

Is your brother on Safelink or something? I don't know what the 49.99 year service will accomplish in that case.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Unlimited talk and text plans come with data and the data rolls over as long as you buy another unlimited plan at the end of the month (I believe it will roll over for one month if you go to the buckets). Problem is the plans only last for one month. So it's $20 for 1gb data and unlimited talk text for one month only. The year service in this case doesn't help much since the unlimited talk and text doesn't roll over.

You'll have to spend $20 minimum a month every month to keep unlimited talk and text... to be able to make calls and text.

Way cheaper to buy bucket minutes and text and data which will roll over with your year of service.

Feedback Score

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    Unlimited talk and text plans come with data and the data rolls over as long as you buy another unlimited plan at the end of the month (I believe it will roll over for one month if you go to the buckets). Problem is the plans only last for one month. So it's $20 for 1gb data and unlimited talk text for one month only. The year service in this case doesn't help much since the unlimited talk and text doesn't roll over.

You'll have to spend $20 minimum a month every month to keep unlimited talk and text... to be able to make calls and text.

Way cheaper to buy bucket minutes and text and data which will roll over with your year of service.
    Oh crap I didn't realize!! It still shows unlimited talk and text, I guess cause his 30 days aren't up. And now I only added the year service so when his 30 days are up, 4/23, he will have service but no talk text and data, is that right? Drat, now I'll have to add more, grrrr. Dang tracfone!

Feedback Score
    Oh crap I didn't realize!! It still shows unlimited talk and text, I guess cause his 30 days aren't up. And now I only added the year service so when his 30 days are up, 4/23, he will have service but no talk text and data, is that right? Drat, now I'll have to add more, grrrr. Dang tracfone!
    Yes, if you let the unlimited plan run out it will have no bucket values. If not wanting another unlimited plan, you can buy talk/text/data separately, or buy a smartphone airtime card/plan. Unlimited and most smartphone plans can be made Auto-Refill.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yeah - you can add one of the smartphone plans or for $25 add 1000 texts 500 minutes and 1gb of data or something like that. You can add it now if you want. It won't be used until the one month unlimited plan expires. Then, any data left from the unlimited plan will roll over for one month. It will be used first. It will be listed seperately from the "current plan" - the buckets minutes text data that you add.

With the unlimited plan expired and gone, and with minutes text data buckets in the current plan, and some data left over from the unlimited plan, this is how it looks:

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  29.2 KB

The data carryover from the expired unlimited plan is used first.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    since you have 365 days of pay-go service go to the bottom of this page https://www.tracfone.com/shop/plans
    and look for "extra benefits". Buy them one at a time so you can use any available promo code for each purchase, some are multi use.
    500 minutes $10
    1000 text $5
    1GB data $10

constantly updated promo codes... https://turkforums.jcink.net/index.php?showtopic=7&st=0
    codes top of page one, followed by people's experiences with the codes. If a code is rejected, try another if available.

Feedback Score
    since you have 365 days of pay-go service go to the bottom of this page https://www.tracfone.com/shop/plans
    and look for "extra benefits". Buy them one at a time so you can use any available promo code for each purchase, some are multi use.
    500 minutes $10
    1000 text $5
    1GB data $10

constantly updated promo codes... https://turkforums.jcink.net/index.php?showtopic=7&st=0
    codes top of page one, followed by people's experiences with the codes. If a code is rejected, try another if available.
    I tell ya I had a heck of a time adding just the minutes and text. Couldn't do it if i was logged into my account and on his device. Hit buy airtime but the only extra I got was the 1g data, no texts no minutes. Tried adding the data going to the check out screen and seeing if the other options would be available and they were not. I had to log out of my account and click your link above add the texts and voice add ons put in his phone number and then I was able to purchase the add on's. I'm guessing because of the original unlimited plan, which I had no choice but to purchase with the phone.

500 talk and 2000 texts (with code) should be more than enough to last him a year. Hopefully next year it will be easier to just add the 49.99 service extension.

Thanks for all your help and your link, I couldn't of done it any other way!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4