Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Trying to buy a phone for Elderly Brother don't want plan to auto renew

Feedback Score

Trying to buy a phone for Elderly Brother don't want plan to auto renew

Hey guys, with all these coronavirus closures going on I wanted to get my brother a cheap smart phone so he can access the internet. He has his own flip phone with verizon that he is perfectly happy with, so not looking to change his service.

On the tracfone site, I can get him a refurb Rebel 4 for 9.99 but I have to buy a plan. Ok that is fine, I was only going to activate for him for 30 days but I'm seeing that the plan is for unlimited talk & text and for the $20 you get 1 gb data, PERFECT for our needs. I want to make sure if I select this it's not going to auto charge my card every month and refill his buckets. Is that what will happen?

Thanks for the help!

Feedback Score
    I got on with chat, they said one time payment, in case anyone reading this is wondering.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Try code 60274 for $15 off.

$14.99 plus tax total.

Feedback Score
    Oh dang it! Bought b4 I saw your code. Thanks anyway!

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Regarding this need for internet service, are you anticipating him just using the device on Wi-Fi after the initial 30 day period or what? You just want him to take over manual refills himself?

If that is the case, and Wi-Fi is available, why not just get a small tablet. I realize the trigger has been pulled already and it's an affordable deal, but the browsing experience will be much better on a tablet, even with something like an Amazon Fire 7" or 8" device. Not as pocketable as a phone, of course, but I'm thinking perhaps he's not getting around so much anyway. Just a thought making assumptions with the info given.

Feedback Score
    He doesn't have internet at home, nor could he really afford it. He goes to the library to get on the computers and with them closed I thought this would help him not feel so isolated. He can at least scroll thru fb and check his email. But thanks for the suggestion. If it wasn't such a big deal(disconnecting his modem going to get another, hooking it all up, I'd add the internet for him). He doesn't want to deal with all that. This seemed the easiest.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if you called TF if they would cancel the order for you. Then you could reorder it with code or look at other options. Maybe that's too much hassle.

Feedback Score
    Ya I'm cool with the 27 bucks I spent on it, and I"m getting it in 2 days. Who knows he might tell me he's not going to mess with it? I know he's lonely and he keeps going over to other siblings houses to use their computers and he really shouldn't. He has breathing issues and he doesn't need to be exposing himself! If this goes on longer than 30 days I will just refill the phone for him to keep it active as long as he needs.

Thanks for all the good suggestions, I appreciate it!!

Feedback Score
    You are a good brother.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    You are a good brother.
    Thanks, but I am the little sister

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTechie View Post
    Thanks, but I am the little sister
    I assume my library is closed. I know from past experience that their Wifi works a short way out into the parking lot. There are probably others places too - Walmart, Starbucks, Panera? I have only checked a couple of McDonalds, but they no good outside.

Feedback Score
    I should have said you are a good sibling. I apologize.

Feedback Score
    I'm not even going to get into explaining how to hook up to wifi, that would be too much and overwhelm him. 1g data is only 10 bucks, I doubt he'll even use that much. I'll keep an eye on his usage and if I have to reload.

No worries @zapjb :-)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm not even going to get into explaining how to hook up to wifi, that would be too much and overwhelm him. 1g data is only 10 bucks, I doubt he'll even use that much. I'll keep an eye on his usage and if I have to reload.

No worries @zapjb :-)
    You can use a promo code like 78439 if/when you buy 1GB of data to get an extra 500 MB for a total of 1.5GB for $10.

Sometimes in the online account when you add something to the cart (which can be removed after) a little below on the left under "more for your device" it will offer 1 GB for $8 and this can be combined with the promo code so it yields 1.5GB for $8. I'm not seeing that offer right now personally but the code should work. You can find various Tracfone promo codes at Turk forums (Holy Scroll of Promo Codes).

If you knew this already, please ignore.

Feedback Score
    If this goes on longer than 30 days I will just refill the phone for him to keep it active as long as he needs.
    Might be best to put the phone in your online account, so you can manage it yourself. Check balances, buy airtime, etc.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast