Thread: Cricket iPhone 7 Current Version: GSM Only?

Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score

Cricket iPhone 7 Current Version: GSM Only?

When unlocked, is the Cricket iPhone 7 neutered to GSM only or is it fully all carrier capable.

I believe at one time the ATT and T-Mobile versions were GSM only. Is that still the case?

I guess it's possible I have this thing totally misunderstood. Maybe all Cricket iPhones are GSM only? All fully capable? Case by case basis?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    what's the model number ?? look on the back near the bottom. just google that number and it should tell once unlocked what networks it'll run on.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    what's the model number ?? look on the back near the bottom. just google that number and it should tell once unlocked what networks it'll run on.
    Don't know model#. Haven't bought yet. Trying to decide if I should buy. Was thinking about Cricket's iPhone 7. Now maybe the 7 Plus.

Anyone know model numbers? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gwite View Post
    Don't know model#. Haven't bought yet. Trying to decide if I should buy. Was thinking about Cricket's iPhone 7. Now maybe the 7 Plus. Anyone know model numbers? Thanks.
    most iPhone's nowadays work on both Verizon & AT&T, it may be better to get the factory unlocked model from APPLE themselves.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    When unlocked, is the Cricket iPhone 7 neutered to GSM only or is it fully all carrier capable.

I believe at one time the ATT and T-Mobile versions were GSM only. Is that still the case?

I guess it's possible I have this thing totally misunderstood. Maybe all Cricket iPhones are GSM only? All fully capable? Case by case basis?
    It's a hardware-specific thing. For the iPhone 7/8/X, there were versions sold with Intel modems and versions with Qualcomm modems. Intel modems lacked CDMA hardware, so it's not a software-defined issue.

The iPhone 8 and X with Intel modems can be activated on Verizon, especially as they get close to shutting down their CDMA networks.

The Qualcomm modem models were almost always sold at places like Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc. as they could be activated on any carrier, but other places are kind of hit or miss what model you might get. I seem to recall Cricket carrying both at one point or another.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    most iPhone's nowadays work on both Verizon & AT&T, it may be better to get the factory unlocked model from APPLE themselves.
    Basic give-away prices, vs full retail, lol.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Basic give-away prices, vs full retail, lol.
    Totally get it—however, what's the plan for this? Unlike the old days where you could unlock anything instantly on the unlimited plan with Cricket, there's a minimum of six months of service before they'll do it for you. iPhones are unlocked through carrier requests that pass that on to Apple's activation servers, so there's no way to really buy a code off of eBay like with most Android phones either.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    Totally get it—however, what's the plan for this? Unlike the old days where you could unlock anything instantly on the unlimited plan with Cricket, there's a minimum of six months of service before they'll do it for you. iPhones are unlocked through carrier requests that pass that on to Apple's activation servers, so there's no way to really buy a code off of eBay like with most Android phones either.
    I would arrange to switch to Cricket for a few months. Just exploring around though.

Feedback Score
    It's not worth it in my opinion. If cricket had had their paws on a phone, even if you can unlock it, something is guaranteed to go wrong.

In the long run, unless you plan on staying with cricket for a long time, you're much better off getting an unlocked device on your own.