Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How important is Band 48 (CBRS) support?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    The C-Band (typically defined as ~3.7 to 8 GHz) is either adjacent to or a superset of the CBRS band (3.55 GHz to 3.7 GHz), depending on whom you ask and how strict their definitions are. The C-Band is very broad and even includes 5 GHz Wi-Fi, for example; it’s more like a class of frequencies instead of its own distinct band, much like how “millimeter wave” refers to the entire 24/30 to 300 GHz range and is often treated like a monolithic band instead of the vast swath of smaller bands it actually is.
    In the case of US uses of C-Band for wireless it's 3.7-3.98 GHz.

Quote Originally Posted by shortyd999 View Post
    What's the difference between CBRS and C-Band? I thought the names were interchangeable.
    They are next to each other but they are separate bands

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=VVivian;17123967]
    “Asking because the 2020 iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular has Band 48, but otherwise isn’t that much better than the 2018 iPad Pro. “

Going back to the OP’s original post. How much do you use the cellular on your iPad now?

We have several iPads in the household but have never bought a cellular one. Most usage is on WiFi (at home, work, school, or cellular hotspot/Mifi) or now since iOS 13 on family hotspot tethering with one of our iPhones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    Going back to the OP’s original post. How much do you use the cellular on your iPad now?

We have several iPads in the household but have never bought a cellular one. Most usage is on WiFi (at home, work, school, or cellular hotspot/Mifi) or now since iOS 13 on family hotspot tethering with one of our iPhones.

Same. Never had a need to have cellular in my iPad, MacBook, etc. - I just tether whenever I need to.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    Same. Never had a need to have cellular in my iPad, MacBook, etc. - I just tether whenever I need to.
    Work blocks everything on our Wi-Fi and the restaurant next-door has terribly slow Wi-Fi. So I love using my LTE iPad… Use 78 gigs last month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fgpalm View Post
    Work blocks everything on our Wi-Fi and the restaurant next-door has terribly slow Wi-Fi. So I love using my LTE iPad… Use 78 gigs last month
    [sarc] Must be some nice workplace that lets you watch that much video. [/sarc]
    Oh, wait, they blocked the video on WiFi so you don't do exactly that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    [sarc] Must be some nice workplace that lets you watch that much video. [/sarc]
    Oh, wait, they blocked the video on WiFi so you don't do exactly that.
    I use my iPad for....cough....ummm....work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    My former company owner, at some point around 2012-2014, asked me if I know a software to track Internet activity of the computers connected to our network. I said "Sure there is, it will cost around 10K for all the seats. But BTW, all those kids have Internet access on their phones". So... that idea went away.
    Last edited by SoNic67; 03-27-2020 at 05:37 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    My former owner, at some point around 2012-2014, asked me if I know a software to track Internet activity of the computers connected to our network. I said "Sure there is, it will cost around 10K for all the seats. But BTW, all those kids have Internet access on their phones". So... that idea went away.
    It’s just stupid the level of control that IT departments try to place on their internet to prevent employees from connecting to the internet in an age where LTE is everywhere. Iv seen some offices where they block stuff on the wifi, but the same building has an in building system for LTE....l

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    *smirk*

in totally unrelated news iPadOS 13.4 introduces much better trackpad support, which is quite useful for one-handed activities as I've discovered

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    It’s just stupid the level of control that IT departments try to place on their internet to prevent employees from connecting to the internet in an age where LTE is everywhere. Iv seen some offices where they block stuff on the wifi, but the same building has an in building system for LTE....l

I do agree.

There are however some things considered intellectual property, competitive/legal data and highly confidential documents that need to be secured. Some documents for example can only be viewed or shared while connected to an authorized company access point thus the tighter restrictions.

You have employees leak emails and confidential data on sites like Reddit that can do enormous harm to any corporation.

That’s why some IT directors are so draconian with their IT policies. They tend to be over cautious by blacklisting everything and whitelisting some things as needed.

I used to sell MDM licensing that would cost between $5k and $10k per employee per year. Multiply that times thousands of employees and you can see what kind of money is involved here and why some organizations take this so seriously.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score

How important is Band 48 (CBRS) support?

In my case, I do actually use my “work” iPad for work, sometimes. And I can use it on the WiFi at work.

But, I guess my point is that unlike a watch where I could see possibly leaving home without your phone (when jogging, at the gym, etc) — though I always still bring mine — I cannot see myself being somewhere with my iPad where I wouldn’t also have my phone (for tethering).

My kids use their iPads much more than I use mine. So instead of multiple, separate, data lines per tablet, I just got one WiFi cellular hotspot for them to share.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    ...which is quite useful for one-handed activities as I've discovered
    That's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    You have employees leak emails and confidential data on sites like Reddit that can do enormous harm to any corporation.
    Stopping WiFi would not help emails to go out, because they are needed for work.
    Also if you want to ballistic on that, block on workstations burning CD/DVD's (they can still be read) and active connection to any USB port.
    It's still not fully "safe".

The only way to stop that would be to increase the punishment. When they see that everyone gets a slap on their hand (or even get presidential pardons) for doing horrible things... there is no deterrence.

Feedback Score
    I still thank CBRS support is gonna be super important moving forward.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile and Airalo)
    Feedback Score
    “... Verizon’s policy for some time now has been to add CBRS to every cell site that its engineers touch...” https://www.fiercewireless.com/opera...se-rootmetrics

This policy doesn’t yet seem to be the case where I live. Engineers have touched at least a handful of sites this year that I’ve seen - yet no Band 48 here yet.

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk
    Check out my Reno Area Wireless Information & Cellular Guide website for cell site location maps, pictures & more https://RenoWirelessInfo.com

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoWirelessGuru View Post
    “... Verizon’s policy for some time now has been to add CBRS to every cell site that its engineers touch...” https://www.fiercewireless.com/opera...se-rootmetrics

This policy doesn’t yet seem to be the case where I live. Engineers have touched at least a handful of sites this year that I’ve seen - yet no Band 48 here yet.

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk
    If you are out network scouting, look for that tiny panel which will be mounted next to the larger ones. Casually looking at them most people might think it's an RRU mounted up there. They are actually a bit smaller than mmWave panels.

Definitely important to have a CBRS device if you live in a market where it's more populated. Rural areas not so much.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast