Thread: Dropped my cheap Huawei Chinese army phone in a puddle

Device(s)
    Motorola Q (PP w QNC)
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score

Dropped my cheap Huawei Chinese army phone in a puddle

Walking the dog. Fully submerged for 5 mins. Amazingly, it still works perfectly. Ascend XT2 that I got at Walmart for $30.

Also dropped it on hardwood floors, driveway, concrete sidewalk and down the stairs.

Still, makes me think I should get a new phone in case it goes (ATT network). The problem is, I'll miss my 4,000mah battery and 16:9 screen since very few phones have those.

This is probably the best buy, Moto G6 for $85. At least it doesn't have a notch. Stupid glass back tho. WTF is wrong with people?

The "Play" version is lower spec but has a 4,000mah battery and fingerprint reader on the back instead of front, no stupid glass back. $3 cheaper.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 03-22-2020 at 10:24 AM. Reason: links removed as spam

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I've got a friend with that phone, bought at Walmart over a year ago as an AT&T Prepaid product, using it on Consumer Cellular (VoLTE works!).

I just had to help him yesterday evening switch over to another identical phone as he had a drop incident that shattered the screen (still works with no touch problems).

This is/was a very nice device for the money. Solid construction and a very nice, bright display. I think it's probably got Nougat on it. My friend went about finding another identical model as he's not fond of having to get familiar with "new stuff"; kind of resents it actually (ha-ha!). But as a 16 GB device it's really good, in my opinion, although if this type of damage happens again he'll likely have to start looking elsewhere as Amazon's supply of Huawei brand will probably shrink to nothing, if it hasn't already (which is where he got the replacement).

There are plenty of Motorola, LG, Samsung, and other devices in the target price range (under $125) that are available and will continue to be so, that work on AT&T MVNO carriers.

I think my friend is even considering doing his own screen repair on his broken phone (kits are available), as several of your typical neighborhood cell phone repair/MVNO dealer operations told him they wouldn't touch it. He'll have fun with it, I'm sure.

Feedback Score
    I got this nice case at a nice price for my G6 and it's nice and grippy!!!...

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/simplec...ct/SC-L5629-1/

Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that the Huawei Ascend XT2 most likely gets way better reception then any of the current Motos including the G6. Not a big deal if you don't spend any time in At&t fringe areas but I'm slowly selling all my Motos because of the weak antennas. I got rid of my G7 Powers and G7 but I still have a G6 Play, two sealed G6's and a sealed Z3 Play to get rid of. I keep going back to my Huawei Mate SE because of it's reception ability. Kinda ticks me off cuz I really like everything else about my Motos.

Device(s)
    LG G8 Thinq, Nokia 6.1 Dual SIM
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    My XT2 is still running well after 2 years. I was experiencing some freezes lately. I just reset and restored it, and a lot of the glitches and lag have gone away. It has Nougat, and likely will not be updated. I was using as my daily driver initially with Red Pocket GSMA, and now has been relegated to a media device. I have a Freedompop ATT SIM with the free plan. After 6 months of using it with the Redpocket GSMA, I was able to unlock it on the ATT unlock portal.
    Mobile:

LG G8 Thinq ATT-Red Pocket 500/500/500
    Nokia 6.1 Dual SIM
    G V20 LS997 Unlocked-Freedompop ATT
    iPhone SE 32GB Simple Mobile
    Samsung Gear S3 Frontier non-LTE
    Samsung Chromebook +
    ______
    Prior Phones:

Huawei Ascend XT2,LG Xpression +,LG Tribute HD,LG G4,Nokia Lumia 820,LG Volt,LG Tribute 2,LG Optimus Exceed 2,LG Realm,Moto X 2014,Moto X 2013,Nexus 5,Nokia Lumia 520,Nokia Lumia 1020,Samsung Galaxy S3,iphone 3G

Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMagm View Post
    My XT2 is still running well after 2 years. I was experiencing some freezes lately. I just reset and restored it, and a lot of the glitches and lag have gone away. It has Nougat, and likely will not be updated. I was using as my daily driver initially with Red Pocket GSMA, and now has been relegated to a media device. I have a Freedompop ATT SIM with the free plan. After 6 months of using it with the Redpocket GSMA, I was able to unlock it on the ATT unlock portal.
    ... likely not be updated...

Lol. Ya think?

Device(s)
    LG G8 Thinq, Nokia 6.1 Dual SIM
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gwite View Post
    ... likely not be updated...

Lol. Ya think?
    99.99% sure that it's not being updated.

Device(s)
    Motorola Q (PP w QNC)
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Ordered this Umidigi F1 on sale for $142.49. Ships from their US warehouse in KY so should be no trouble sending it back (sale ends in 12 hrs).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UMIDIGI-F1-...d/352691535498

Yes, the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 is a better phone but no band 12/17. But most people don't seem to miss it. Great reviews.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    A couple of us have had success with umidigi phones and couple have not.

Which carrier/service will you be using?

Goodluck!

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Motorola Q (PP w QNC)
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    The Umidigi F1 seems fine. No real complaints. Amazing battery life. Got 3 updates and reset it. People complain about the cam and fingerprint sensor but they seem OK to me. Getting used to the tall, skinny screen. Easy to hold. No good cases tho. The one that comes with it barely extends beyond the screen. I have it on an ATT reseller. Getting 30/11 and 75/11 on 5ghz wifi. Like it better than the Moto G7 that I sent back because of the poor battery.

The XT2 is still running fine. Tip: Run the memory cleaner when it bogs down. They are easy to unlock if you want to try T-mo.

Thought about a Pixel 3a for $300 but the darn thing has a small 3,000 mAh battery.

The F1 seems good overall assuming I don't drop it much.