Thread: Able to unlock LG Stylo 4 phone a year after purchase but only paid 2 mo of service

Device(s)
    Samsung S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Able to unlock LG Stylo 4 phone a year after purchase but only paid 2 mo of service

So maybe this isn't surprising to others, but I was just able to unlock an LG Stylo 4 phone via the Device Unlock app that I had only paid for 2 months of service on. I purchased it 14 months ago (1/10/19) but after the 2 months of paid service I just put it in airplane mode and have been using it in Wifi mode. I had tried the Device Unlock app a while ago and it did not work but when I tried it today, I got "Unlock Approved: Mobile device is permanently unlocked". I had to reboot twice but once I did, the app was removed from the "Metro by T-Mobile" app folder, so I guess it's done. I had it in airplane mode when I ran the unlock app.

I was under the impression that you could not unlock MetroPCS phones unless you had paid for 180 days of service so I had not tried it recently (I did try it a while ago and it did not succeed). Was I confused? I haven't tried any SIM in it to see where it will work. Will it work on Verizon? I saw a post about an unlocked G7 phone that apparently did not work there. If it would have worked on Verizon, I really could have used it recently since my S7 died and I waited a couple of weeks before buying a replacement.

Update: tried to activate with Sprint BYOD and it won't work there.
    Last edited by MisterBill; 03-20-2020 at 09:25 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, E6, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    None of my Metro unlocked phones will work with any provider that is not GSM. I've got several Moto e5's and g7 powers.

Device(s)
    Samsung S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellular-dude View Post
    None of my Metro unlocked phones will work with any provider that is not GSM. I've got several Moto e5's and g7 powers.
    Thanks. I got a new phone so I don't need to use it domestically at the moment, anyway But in theory if I wanted to use the phone internationally with a prepaid SIM card, it should work now that it's unlocked.

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    My experience, and have read posts here which agree, metro phones can be unlocked after about 180 days, as long as they had been activated. To the best of my knowledge, there is no requirement to be continually activated. We got a group of 5 phones, used some, stored some. They all were unlockable after 180 days.

Device(s)
    Samsung S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    My experience, and have read posts here which agree, metro phones can be unlocked after about 180 days, as long as they had been activated. To the best of my knowledge, there is no requirement to be continually activated. We got a group of 5 phones, used some, stored some. They all were unlockable after 180 days.
    Thanks, i did not know that. The info on the MetroPCS website says you need to have 180 days of service. I thought I tried to unlock after 180 days and did not succeed, but I could be wrong.

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterBill View Post
    Thanks, i did not know that. The info on the MetroPCS website says you need to have 180 days of service. I thought I tried to unlock after 180 days and did not succeed, but I could be wrong.
    Keep trying. But just today, I bought a purposely older g7, and got it to unlock immediately. I don't have any device info, but it had to have been activated when purchased.

Device(s)
    Samsung S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    Keep trying. But just today, I bought a purposely older g7, and got it to unlock immediately. I don't have any device info, but it had to have been activated when purchased.
    Yes, I am the OP. It worked for me when I tried last week, but that was 14 months after the purchase. The LG Stylo 4 is a decent phone as a spare to use at home on Wifi and now I'll be able to use it overseas with a different SIM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterBill View Post
    Yes, I am the OP. It worked for me when I tried last week, but that was 14 months after the purchase. The LG Stylo 4 is a decent phone as a spare to use at home on Wifi and now I'll be able to use it overseas with a different SIM.
    Use outside of the US on foreign carriers all depends on if the Stylo 4 bands cover what the other carrier(s) run on.

Bands 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(AWS-1), 5(850), 7(2600), 12(700 a), 13(700 c), 17(700 b), 20(800 DD), 25(1900+), 26(850+), 66(AWS-3), 71(600)

Device(s)
    Samsung S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimxx200 View Post
    Use outside of the US on foreign carriers all depends on if the Stylo 4 bands cover what the other carrier(s) run on.

Bands 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(AWS-1), 5(850), 7(2600), 12(700 a), 13(700 c), 17(700 b), 20(800 DD), 25(1900+), 26(850+), 66(AWS-3), 71(600)
    Thanks, I will be sure to check that, once I am able to travel again and have the need for a phone outside of the US.