Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Failing Phone Need Replacement

Feedback Score
    All the dimming of OLED is done by PWM.
    There is no "pure DC mode", that would require an analog current regulator, with a huge heatsink and that, by it's nature, would waste precious battery energy.
    The only difference is in the actual PWM frequency. Higher frequency can be filtered (integrated) by smaller components (capacitors) to be less visible. However, the more you dim a display, the more chances are to notice the PWM flicker.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by twobytes View Post
    My unlocked Moto G6 has been an unreliable phone, with constant reception issues for the past year. This is true regardless if I'm on T-Mobile or Verizon. It's basically a wifi only device at this point.

Normally I would research this on my own, but the current global viral mess has me between a rock and hard place. Without a replacement, I have no easy way to contact others.

Looking for suggestions with the following:
    * Works with T-Mobile (including band 71) and Verizon.
    * Unlocked
    * Preferably around the $300 mark, but I'll go several hundred higher if I need to.
    * More reliable than my Moto G6

Thank you.
    You can get the T-Mobile variant of the Moto G6 for free if you buy $80 worth of T-Mobile prepaid airtime at a T-Mobile store.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    I just thought I'd add, for twobytes or anybody else reading this, that it's important to always keep a working / usable backup phone on hand, in my opinion.

I personally have multiple backup phones, which is probably overkill, but at least one is really good to have, especially for a situation like twobytes described. Again, just my opinion.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    You can get the T-Mobile variant of the Moto G6 for free if you buy $80 worth of T-Mobile prepaid airtime at a T-Mobile store.
    It appears the OP does not want another Moto G6. The free price tag doesn't look so good if it gets lousy reception.

Unfortunately Motorola quality has been in the toilet since the 4 series. I've tried upgrading from my Moto E4 plus but always end up with a downgrade

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Ended up going with a Pixel 3a XL. It's working much better in terms of cellular reception and a better experience over all.

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I just thought I'd add, for twobytes or anybody else reading this, that it's important to always keep a working / usable backup phone on hand, in my opinion.

I personally have multiple backup phones, which is probably overkill, but at least one is really good to have, especially for a situation like twobytes described. Again, just my opinion.
    Good point. The bummer is that the other two phones I have, a Nextbit Robin, and now my Moto G6, are both problematic, and are only workable via wifi at this point. I guess the question is what phone would be worth getting for a backup that would also support band 71, is less expensive than the Pixel 3a XL, but not a total crap experience?

Feedback Score
    Go to
    https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/finder.php
    show all options and specify T-Mobile band 71 (600 MHz) LTE 71 & whatever else you want out of a phone.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Device(s)
    Motorola Q (PP w QNC)
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Band 71 phones.

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/lt...atible-devices

Motorola moto e6
    Motorola moto e5 plus
    Motorola moto e5 play
    Motorola moto g7 power

I think all US Motos do Verizon as well.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    There are a couple of Umidigi phones that are $249 and under on Amazon.com that have band 71. Maybe less if you shop around.

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by twobytes View Post
    Ended up going with a Pixel 3a XL. It's working much better in terms of cellular reception and a better experience over all.

Good point. The bummer is that the other two phones I have, a Nextbit Robin, and now my Moto G6, are both problematic, and are only workable via wifi at this point.
    I guess the question is what phone would be worth getting for a backup that would also support band 71, is less expensive than the Pixel 3a XL, but not a total crap experience?
    im in the same boat.
    my backup phone, Moto E (2015 ), uses Android 5.1.
    Some bank apps no longer run on it because they now require at least Android 6. Thus the Moto E is no longer a viable backup phone.

my current phone is the Moto E4, which runs on Android 7.
    so i guess whatever phone i get will be the new main phone and the Moto E4 will be the backup.

but i have yet to find a good cheap att/tmobile phone (~$50).

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    The T-Mobile branded LG Aristo 2 Plus (and I believe there is also a 3 Plus and 4 Plus) is a cheap legacy GSM device that has Band 71, but I don't know if it can be obtained unlocked or made to be unlocked for use on AT&T.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    The T-Mobile branded LG Aristo 2 Plus (and I believe there is also a 3 Plus and 4 Plus) is a cheap legacy GSM device that has Band 71, but I don't know if it can be obtained unlocked or made to be unlocked for use on AT&T.
    If you buy $80 in prepaid airtime from a T-Mobile store they are offering you the choice of a free LG Aristo 4+ or a free Moto G6.

Of course I’d call ahead and some stores are completely out of stock.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2