Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Failing Phone Need Replacement

Feedback Score

Failing Phone Need Replacement

My unlocked Moto G6 has been an unreliable phone, with constant reception issues for the past year. This is true regardless if I'm on T-Mobile or Verizon. It's basically a wifi only device at this point.

Normally I would research this on my own, but the current global viral mess has me between a rock and hard place. Without a replacement, I have no easy way to contact others.

Looking for suggestions with the following:
    * Works with T-Mobile (including band 71) and Verizon.
    * Unlocked
    * Preferably around the $300 mark, but I'll go several hundred higher if I need to.
    * More reliable than my Moto G6

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Why not just go with Moto G7? If you don't have confidence in Motorola anymore the LG Stylo 5 is another consideration.

Or go with a recent Oneplus device that is also compatible with Verizon.

Sent from my SM-F700U1 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    https://slickdeals.net/f/13928267-go...ked-299-99?v=1

What about a Pixel? The 3a and 3a XL are on sale. I have the 3a (did a trade in deal when it launched) and while I haven't used it extensively, it's a nice phone. Looks like it checks all of your boxes.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 11 eSIM
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 11 dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone XS [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10) + iPad Mini 4 w/ T-Mobile LTE

Feedback Score
    If a better than average camera matters, you could consider a Pixel 3a.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    If a better than average camera matters, you could consider a Pixel 3a.
    Hmmm...I see I forgot to post a link.

Google Pixel 3a

$299 delivered (instant sales tax refund for many states) if you pay with the B&H Payboo Card. Otherwise, $299 delivered + sales tax.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._unlocked.html

Feedback Score
    Moto G7 is a very capable phone, works on Verizon and T-Mobile.
    The requirement for Band 71 is strange... just go with Verizon network and be done!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by munkala View Post
    Why not just go with Moto G7? If you don't have confidence in Motorola anymore the LG Stylo 5 is another consideration.

Or go with a recent Oneplus device that is also compatible with Verizon.
    Moto G7 does not have band 71 for T-Mo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Moto G7 does not have band 71 for T-Mo.
    That's true. I figure since twobytes has a budget of $300 up to possibly $600, the new phone might as well have full compatibility, which is why I suggested the Pixel 3a, especially when it's currently on sale for $299, although I now see that IsLand_BoY had already suggested the Pixel 3a above before I posted about it!

Feedback Score
    Thank you all for the input thus far. Apologies for the lack of additional details - I only had a short time to be connected earlier.

Regarding why band 71: I currently have a plan on both Mint Mobile and also with Red Pocket (Verizon). That may not be the case in the future, but as I don't know with whom I'll end up with, I wanted to ensure full band coverage.

Boz1, that's right, $300 preferred, but I would go up to $600 if needed.

What do you all think about the OnePlus 7t? Especially vs the 3a / 3a xl?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by twobytes View Post
    Thank you all for the input thus far. Apologies for the lack of additional details - I only had a short time to be connected earlier.

Regarding why band 71: I currently have a plan on both Mint Mobile and also with Red Pocket (Verizon). That may not be the case in the future, but as I don't know with whom I'll end up with, I wanted to ensure full band coverage.

Boz1, that's right, $300 preferred, but I would go up to $600 if needed.

What do you all think about the OnePlus 7t? Especially vs the 3a / 3a xl?
    Well, I think a lot of people like the OnePlus 7t, and it's probably an overall better phone than the Pixel 3a, but it's quite a bit more expensive. Is the OnePlus 7t current sale price $499? It would be much too much phone for my relatively modest needs.

But from what I've seen, the OnePlus 7t price/value is just about the same as for the Pixel 3a.

The only reason I ended up with a phone even as good as the Pixel 3a XL was because I really wanted a better than average camera on my phone, and I got an incredible (luck was involved) deal on an open box excellent Pixel 3a XL from Best Buy. So take my advice with a grain of salt!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Well, I think a lot of people like the OnePlus 7t, and it's probably an overall better phone than the Pixel 3a, but it's quite a bit more expensive. Is the OnePlus 7t current sale price $499? It would be much too much phone for my relatively modest needs.

But from what I've seen, the OnePlus 7t price/value is just about the same as for the Pixel 3a.

The only reason I ended up with a phone even as good as the Pixel 3a XL was because I really wanted a better than average camera on my phone, and I got an incredible (luck was involved) deal on an open box excellent Pixel 3a XL from Best Buy. So take my advice with a grain of salt!
    That does sound like a good deal, if I can magically score one in that manner I would do so as well.

I think the Pixel 3a XL seems like where I'm leaning. The aspects of the 7t that I like are that it has a dual SIM slot, and it also offers the option of DC dimming (i.e. supposedly pwm free mode). I can forgo the dual SIM slot, but I would love to be able to enable dc dimming.

1) Do you know, can you enable dc dimming / constant current for the 3a XL?
    2) How is the display on your eyes? Does it cause eye strain or other eye problems for you?
    3) Got a case you would recommend?
    4) Do you use a screen protector you could recommend?

Thanks all for the rapid fire help. I appreciate it more than I can express.
    Last edited by twobytes; 03-20-2020 at 05:45 PM.

Feedback Score
    That does sound like a good deal, if I can magically score one in that manner I would do so as well.

I think the Pixel 3a XL seems like where I'm leaning. The aspects of the 7t that I like are that it has a dual SIM slot, and it also offers the option of DC dimming (i.e. supposedly pwm free mode). I can forgo the dual SIM slot, but I would love to be able to enable dc dimming.

2) How is the display on your eyes? Does it cause eye strain or other eye problems for you?

1. I don't think so.
    2. The display is good to me. But my last 2 phones were LG Phoenix 2 & Moto E4.
    3. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RWRDXGL/
    4. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QNF4N6D/

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    The Pixel 3a and XL may not have dual-SIM, but they do have eSIM in addition to the regular one.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think the price of 7T will drop even more. The 8 is right around the corner. I have a relative on RP gsma with an old moto g4 play. Total piece of junk at this point. Supposedly att will shutter 3g by the end of the next year. That will be a good opportunity for me to upgrade and give the 7t to the relative.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

I'm particularly sensitive to PWM - the Pixel screen doesn't bother me. I bought a Supershieldz brand cheapo tempered glass screen protector which is great and also a cheap Cimo brand case on Amazon.

Did you end up deciding on a phone yet? Just curious

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast