Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: COVID-19 Forces a New Look for a Long Deal

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    90
    Carrier(s)
    NONE
    Feedback Score
    0

    Question COVID-19 Forces a New Look for a Long Deal

    After getting burned not once, but three (3) times by the odious Lycamobile, I actually blew off the whole cell phone thing for the better part of a year.

    I'm an old guy who's trying to go shelter-in-place, but for my groceries, it turns out that I must have a cell phone to arrange pickup (yes, it is complicated).

    What I need is a simple and cheap cell account with the following (ask for more info if needed):

    * Must use AT&T's towers
    * Only very limited number of calls or messages
    * Little or no data use
    * Preferably PayGo with some rollover
    * No number switching needed

    All these great deals seem to vanish incredibly quickly, even before you receive your SIMs, sometimes, so let's hear what you have at the moment. I'll try to jump on it as quickly as possible, Note that the deals frequently are not on the providers pages, so a direct link to the offer would be great. I'm ready to do short term offers, etc.

    Thanks for any pointers!
    "o\b&O}{eq$9-J?*D"fRi~Bg<>2m]Vp&!Qh:Z^{\(-LQpGQh.1A0I-vG^fh+c^)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,750
    Feedback Score
    0
    One of the best for low usage is Red Pocket via eBay. 100 minutes, 100 texts, and 500 MB every 30 days, for 360 days (12, 30 day periods) is $60 total for the 360 days of service. The deal is listed at https://www.redpocket.com/plans/ebay, but the direct link to the plan is https://www.ebay.com/itm/133058476404.

    Another option is H2O paygo from https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/plan/minute, which will cost $9/90 days or $36/360 days, with auto pay, and usage is billed at $0.05/min, $0.05/text, and $0.10/MB. This plan would really only be good if you plan to keep cellular data turned OFF almost all the time.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,975
    Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score
    0
    I second the recommendation for H2O. They are easy to work with, the best paygo rate you'll find on the AT&T network, and you can buy a SIM card on either eBay or Amazon for a buck. The SIM cards are also available at many dollar stores and convenience stores although I don't know how much they charge.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    10,416
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    One of the best for low usage is Red Pocket via eBay. 100 minutes, 100 texts, and 500 MB every 30 days, for 360 days (12, 30 day periods) is $60 total for the 360 days of service. The deal is listed at https://www.redpocket.com/plans/ebay, but the direct link to the plan is https://www.ebay.com/itm/133058476404.

    Another option is H2O paygo from https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/plan/minute, which will cost $9/90 days or $36/360 days, with auto pay, and usage is billed at $0.05/min, $0.05/text, and $0.10/MB. This plan would really only be good if you plan to keep cellular data turned OFF almost all the time.
    I second both of these recommendations. RP's website isn't so great after the "update"; H2O's is barebones but works fine.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

    Primary: iPhone SE 2nd gen eSIM
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone SE 2nd gen dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone XS [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,750
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    One of the best for low usage is Red Pocket via eBay. 100 minutes, 100 texts, and 500 MB every 30 days, for 360 days (12, 30 day periods) is $60 total for the 360 days of service. The deal is listed at https://www.redpocket.com/plans/ebay, but the direct link to the plan is https://www.ebay.com/itm/133058476404.

    Another option is H2O paygo from https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/plan/minute, which will cost $9/90 days or $36/360 days, with auto pay, and usage is billed at $0.05/min, $0.05/text, and $0.10/MB. This plan would really only be good if you plan to keep cellular data turned OFF almost all the time.
    I re-read what I wrote, and I need to clarify how H2O works. What I wrote was correct, but incomplete.

    For each $9 auto pay, you get $10 in credit, good for 90 days. So, breaking it down, for each $3/30 days, you get $3.33 in credit.

    Also, any unused funds at the end of each 90 day term carries over as long as you don't let it go more than 90 days between refills, which setting up auto pay accomplishes.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,524
    Feedback Score
    0
    Depending on usage truphone could end up very cheap

    uses AT&T
    sms: free incoming, 9c per outgoing
    voice: free incoming, 9c per outgoing minute
    data: 9c per mb

    https://www.truphone.com/us/consumer/sim/

    sim is like $30, but comes with $15 in credit, that doesn't expire if you use the service once every 180 days

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,750
    Feedback Score
    0
    So, Anchoret, what do you think of the suggestions so far?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    90
    Carrier(s)
    NONE
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    So, Anchoret, what do you think of the suggestions so far?
    I just took a look back this afternoon, so I haven't gotten to all of them yet, but Red Pocket is the only one so far that I can make any actual sense out of (confusing sites and offers seem to be the rule rather than the exception ), so I may just go with it.

    I ask you:

    Name:  h2o.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  31.3 KB

    Uh...Whut?

    I have to make sure that whatever I order will work with a phone I do not yet have, which slightly complicates matters further. I'm assuming that the GSMA thingy is the one I want, in any case, right?

    Thanks for your help!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,635
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think that, with my taxes, the H2O is about $10.21 every 3 months. Balance accrues and I'm over $40 so far. Was higher, but they enabled VoLTE on my iPhone, and I did some playing around with MMS and data to make sure it worked. Though the data is off now.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    90
    Carrier(s)
    NONE
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I think that, with my taxes, the H2O is about $10.21 every 3 months. Balance accrues and I'm over $40 so far. Was higher, but they enabled VoLTE on my iPhone, and I did some playing around with MMS and data to make sure it worked. Though the data is off now.
    I looked at H2O, but couldn't make the slightest sense from their page. It's probably the better deal, but I simply can't figure it out.

    I'll give this another day before making my move on it.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,635
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchoret View Post
    I looked at H2O, but couldn't make the slightest sense from their page. It's probably the better deal, but I simply can't figure it out.

    I'll give this another day before making my move on it.
    The advantage of RP (other than it provides multiple carriers in case ATT isn't the best for your needs) is it provides some data. Such as 500MB/month that, if you have a smart phone, you can use occasionally if necessary. And if your usage is < 100 minutes a month, not much to worry about. Plus, you paid for a year in advance.

    But if you don't need the data, and really low usage, then H2O is cheaper. 20 minutes for instance, and 20 texts/month is still cheaper. But 80 minutes and 50 texts are cheaper on RP. If every month.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    460
    Feedback Score
    0

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,984
    Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchoret View Post
    I just took a look back this afternoon, so I haven't gotten to all of them yet, but Red Pocket is the only one so far that I can make any actual sense out of (confusing sites and offers seem to be the rule rather than the exception ), so I may just go with it.

    I ask you:

    Name:  h2o.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  31.3 KB

    Uh...Whut?

    I have to make sure that whatever I order will work with a phone I do not yet have, which slightly complicates matters further. I'm assuming that the GSMA thingy is the one I want, in any case, right?

    Thanks for your help!
    It confused the heck out of me too when I first signed up for H2o, because they make the different refill amounts look like different plans. It's really all the same single pay as you go plan (you've already noticed the per minutes/texts/MB rates are the same) but you can prepay it with one of 4 different sized prepaid "cards" or deposits- $10, $20, $30 or $100. The first three expire in 90 days if not refilled prior to expiration, the last ($100) expires in 365 days. Other than the extended expiration date of the $100 card, there's no advantage to adding anything but $10 cards.

    In addition to Amazon and eBay, Target also sells the H2o SIMs for $1.


    Good luck!



    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,975
    Carrier(s)
    RedPocket 500/500/500 plan at $10/mo
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    It's really all the same single pay as you go plan (you've already noticed the per minutes/texts/MB rates are the same) but you can prepay it with one of 4 different sized prepaid "cards" or deposits- $10, $20, $30 or $100.
    That's really all you have to remember.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    700
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchoret View Post
    After getting burned not once, but three (3) times by the odious Lycamobile, I actually blew off the whole cell phone thing for the better part of a year.

    I'm an old guy who's trying to go shelter-in-place, but for my groceries, it turns out that I must have a cell phone to arrange pickup (yes, it is complicated).

    What I need is a simple and cheap cell account with the following (ask for more info if needed):

    * Must use AT&T's towers
    * Only very limited number of calls or messages
    * Little or no data use
    * Preferably PayGo with some rollover
    * No number switching needed

    All these great deals seem to vanish incredibly quickly, even before you receive your SIMs, sometimes, so let's hear what you have at the moment. I'll try to jump on it as quickly as possible, Note that the deals frequently are not on the providers pages, so a direct link to the offer would be great. I'm ready to do short term offers, etc.

    Thanks for any pointers!
    AT&T prepaid and/or Cricket would have the best results and they often have promotions for buying long term access. I personally would not use MVNO’s because they add more restrictions over native coverage. Cricket is owned by AT&T.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FT/FS Nokia 3220b NEW..looking for Panasonic X70, GU87, X300
    By westoak in forum GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 07:36 AM
  2. Ahh.. Two New looks for my E710s!!!
    By sletta in forum Samsung
    Replies: 196
    Last Post: 08-29-2004, 05:50 PM
  3. Hi i'm new. Looking for best phone with these requirements.. Help
    By 666_phil in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-11-2004, 04:59 PM
  4. New look for Verizon 8900
    By JL_in_MN in forum UT Starcom / Audiovox
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 02:37 PM
  5. new look for gsmphonesource.com
    By grrr8guy in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-20-2003, 06:10 PM

Bookmarks