Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question about Telus Plans with "connected devices"

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score
    Telus's Unlimited plans do not support sharing (aside from the Connect versions which allow sharing with data-only non-phone 'accessory' devices). Customers wishing to pool their data must choose one of the Simple Share plan variants that offers a fixed bucket with traditional overage. Either L&R gave you something really special that I'm not aware of, or you are mistaken on the details of what you have.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Intestineman View Post
    I just noticed this and Telus is pure evil for doing this in regards to pooling data with other users...

"However, on a Peace of Mind Connect plan, customers can access and share their endless data with all their connected devices. When multiple users are on a Peace of Mind connect plan the whole accounts gets to maximize their data by pooling and sharing all the data together, to ensure all users have the same high speed experience."

The reason this came to my attention is...
    Somehow my daughter's 10GB piece of mind got mysteriously upgraded to $100 piece of mind connect plus 20GB plan (she has only one device btw so wonder why not the $85 option at least) - I just received email notifying me of changes that I did not make. My daughter who is high usage just coincidentally hit her 10GB fast speed limit today so maybe they sent a message to her and allowed her to upgrade somehow not sure and she claims no but I think there is more to it. Anyways they normally throttle her data down to slow speed when goes over 10GB but now, since we are both on connect plans (I guess I got this connect plus "feature" on mine now without my knowledge) because of pooling she can steal from my 20GB data without me able to control it!

Having sharing pool on unlimited plans in this way is just dumb and this really makes me upset with Telus for doing this. I am going to be calling them tomorrow to downgrade her account back and really express concerns because I did not authorize this change to my account in the first place, and second I think the sharing aspect of these plans is stupid unless they add ability to manage limits like they do with normal shared plans. Why call it piece of mind when it is pooled with data sucking kids???
    Telus's Unlimited plans do not support sharing (aside from the Connect versions which allow sharing with data-only non-phone 'accessory' devices). Customers wishing to pool their data must choose one of the Simple Share plan variants that offers a fixed bucket with traditional overage. Either L&R gave you something really special that I'm not aware of, or you are mistaken on the details of what you have.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    I've never seen my plan suddenly changed especially while my kid was playing with the plan settings
    That’s why I suggested previous poster to contact TELUS for clarifications!
    Disclaimer: All my posts, replies, comments and/or opinions expressed on www.howardforums.com are my own contribution only. The views expressed on this page do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of Fido, its management or employees.
    Fritz Z24...

Feedback Score
    Please read my post where I quoted from their site, however I made link to it so you can read in case you still do not believe me.
    It seems that it is a newer "feature" with telus that the connect plans pool data.

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/...-of-mind-plans

Just search for the word "pool" on that page so don't have to read it all.

Anyways I have this reversed with Telus.
    I checked my account security settings and I am the owner and nobody else can change plans.

I called Telus and downgraded daughter's to the 10GB $75/month plan which does not support connect feature therefore will not pool with me. I asked how my daughter could have done this when she is not authorized and was told she was sent a SMS with link to upgrade online. I was given some excuse that they are allowing customers easier access to data because of COVID... but the point is that she was able to bypass it all from a link Telus provided.

I asked CSR about connect pooling and she confirmed and there was no way for a user to have connect plan while isolating their data from others.

On the bright side, I was able to reduce my bill from $90/month to $85 and used the connect feature for my Apple Watch and iPad therefore saving $25/month.
    Last edited by Intestineman; 04-14-2020 at 11:28 AM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Please read my post where I quoted from their site, however I made link to it so you can read in case you still do not believe me.
    It seems that it is a newer "feature" with telus that the connect plans pool data.

Just search for the word "pool" on that page so don't have to read it all.

I asked CSR about connect pooling and she confirmed and there was no way for a user to have connect plan while isolating their data from others.

On the bright side, I was able to reduce my bill from $90/month to $85 and used the connect feature for my Apple Watch and iPad therefore saving $25/month.
    That is the way Peace of Mind Connect plans work:

'However, on a Peace of Mind Connect plan, users can share their endless data with all their connected products including their tablets, watches and Drive + for $0 by adding a Peace of Mind Access Plan to their account.'

What is puzzling, is why TELUS sent your daughter a link to join your Connect plan. As TELUS says, you're only supposed to add 'tablets, watches and Drive +' devices. I didn't think TELUS allowed a second phone to share minutes, texts, and data on a Connect plan.

Anyway, I'm glad you got TELUS to fix their mess, got your Apple Watch and iPad connected to your Connect plan, and that you are saving $25 a month now.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
    AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data

Feedback Score
    I think Telus needs to make up their mind what the difference is between the Connect, Connect Plus, and Connect Ultra... it is confusing.

https://www.telus.com/en/mobility/new-at-telus
    On this site the chart at bottom show connect and connect plus are same feature with 2 connected devices however plus is $100 vs connect being only $85 for same 2 devices, ultra being 3 or more devices at $125.

On this site it is different but no pricing...
    Users who want to share high speed data with one connected product (Peace of Mind Connect), users who need to share high speed data with 2 connected products (Peace of Mind Connect Plus), and users who need to share high speed data with 3+ connected products (Peace of Mind Connect Ultra).

My plan is Piece of Mind Connect $85/month but I have added 2 devices - Apple Watch and iPad mini so it lines up with the first link... I think the $85 is a promo with 2 devices for now after talking with CSR... but still not very clear.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score

My plan is Piece of Mind Connect $85/month but I have added 2 devices - Apple Watch and iPad mini so it lines up with the first link... I think the $85 is a promo with 2 devices for now after talking with CSR... but still not very clear.
    Yes, your $85 Peace of Mind Connect plan has had a promotion for the past few weeks of a bonus 10 GB, so it's exactly the same as the $100 Peace of Mind Connect Plus plan:

'Access your data
    Ideal for a phone and 2 connected devices

Bonus: Get an additional 10GB for a total of 20GB for just $85.'

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/mobility/plans#peaceOfMind

Feedback Score

Thumbs down

I think Telus needs to make up their mind what the difference is between the Connect, Connect Plus, and Connect Ultra... it is confusing.
    I totally agree, they're so similar yet not and connected devices can only be a tablet or smartwatch. They shouldn't have even called them different things Connect Ultra Connect Plus, should have just been Connect and Connect Share or something, with the different tiers on data.

Feedback Score
    Also their terms don't explicitly forbid a hotspot of phone, if I'm wrong please do point to a link. Otherwise you could just sue or escalate and win.

"You can access your Peace of Mind™ Connect plan data with your phone and additional SIM-enabled devices such as Smart Watch, Tablet or TELUS Drive + which are added to your account."

Because it says "and additional SIM-enabled devices" (which would be a hotspot, laptop, phone, watch, hub, gps tracker etc) and "such as" instead of "only for" you would probably win.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    Also their terms don't explicitly forbid a hotspot of phone, if I'm wrong please do point to a link. Otherwise you could just sue or escalate and win.

"You can access your Peace of Mind Connect plan data with your phone and additional SIM-enabled devices such as Smart Watch, Tablet or TELUS Drive + which are added to your account."

Because it says "and additional SIM-enabled devices" (which would be a hotspot, laptop, phone, watch, hub, gps tracker etc) and "such as" instead of "only for" you would probably win.
    That's what the TELUS Simple Share 10, 20 & 50 plans are for:
    'If you are interested in sharing data across your account, we also offer Simple Share Plans with large data buckets. For these customers, we continue to offer TELUS Data Manager which gives full control over your account’s data management.'
    https://www.telus.com/en/bc/mobility...mpleSharePlans

TELUS knows what device you put your SIM card in. Learn from what @crab9000 posted earlier in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by crab9000 View Post
    Only thing I would be weary of on using a data-only sim on TELUS, I had a tablet plan with them a couple years ago that I put into a phone, they billed all the phone data as pay per use as it wasn't used on a tablet, only when used on a tablet did they take data out of the actual data bucket.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post
    That's what the TELUS Simple Share 10, 20 & 50 plans are for:
    'If you are interested in sharing data across your account, we also offer Simple Share Plans with large data buckets. For these customers, we continue to offer TELUS Data Manager which gives full control over your account’s data management.'
    https://www.telus.com/en/bc/mobility...mpleSharePlans

TELUS knows what device you put your SIM card in. Learn from what @crab9000 posted earlier in this thread:
    You're right and they do, but I mean they're not doing you any favours so why not sue them or complain to CRTC / CCTS about the misleading wording.

Device(s)
    Honor 7X, iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post
    You're most welcome!

TELUS Peace of Mind plans: https://www.telus.com/en/on/mobility/plans#peaceOfMind

TELUS Peace of Mind Connect plans: https://www.telus.com/en/on/mobility...dConnect_cards

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by '$20 GB usage'.

Connect and Connect Plus both have 20GB of data and the same amount connected devices but the plans price is $85 vs $100.
    What's the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Tired of huge cell phone bills?I can help!Please,check and like my FB page below
    https://www.facebook.com/CellPhoneSaver

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_wisdom View Post
    Connect and Connect Plus both have 20GB of data and the same amount connected devices but the plans price is $85 vs $100.
    What's the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    That's correct, they're the same except for their prices. The $85 Connect plan has had 10GB bonus data offered for the past few weeks making it the same as the $100 Connect Plus plan:

'Peace of Mind Connect
    • For always-on users
    • $85/mo
    • TELUS Family Discount eligible
    • Endless data
    • Continue to surf and stream after 20GB at reduced speeds
    • No data overages
    • No surprises on your bill
    • Access your data
    • Ideal for a phone and 2 connected devices

Bonus: Get an additional 10GB for a total of 20GB for just $85.

Peace of Mind Connect Plus
    • For always-on users
    • $100/mo
    • TELUS Family Discount eligible
    • Endless data
    • Get 20GB of high-speed data across your phone and connected devices. Speeds reduced after 20GB.
    • No data overages
    • No surprises on your bill
    • Access your data
    • Ideal for a phone and 2 connected devices'

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_wisdom View Post
    What's the difference?
    I don't think there is an actual restriction on the number of 'connected' devices on any of the plans. They list it as "ideal for" not "for up to". If I was on the $85/20 and had 3 devices to add I'd just try to activate all of them.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Hotspot should still be available up to the high-speed threshold at least.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast