Thread: Can I get a 2nd GV number?

Feedback Score

Can I get a 2nd GV number?

I currently have a Google Voice number inside my area code but in another county and city where I lived when I got the number.

I would like to get a GV number for my current county/town inside my area code. Can I get another GV number?

I'm assuming I would have to create another Gmail account to get one, but can I have two Gmail accounts using my same name?

Typically Gmail asks if I want to verify my Gmail account with my phone number for security purposes and would that affect my ability to have a second Gmail address and second GV number if I used the same tel # with both Gmail accounts?

Sent from my LGL163BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I have two GV/Gmail accounts that I established so long ago I can't remember exactly what my cautions were. I wanted another GV number in another nearby state with different area code. I did use a different, made up variation of my name, which I think is good just to help the account holder (yourself) keep things straight in the time that follows. The email address could be made similar enough or different as you like, depending on how you think it'll affect those you give it out to; and you can make the name that appears on received messages from that account clearly identify you.

Just also keep in mind that for whichever GV number gets put on the back burner (as far as usage), you should establish a pattern to use it in a token fashion to show usage, or over some period of time Google will send you an email warning they've not seen much usage and threaten to take back the number and close the GV part of that account. This is likely for Google-supplied numbers; not for ones you may have paid to port in.

To answer your last question, I can't remember what happened with me in this regard. I have three different cellular lines of service for a long time now, so I probably did use a different one for the verification process. I seem to remember a not-too-long-ago thread about this topic here somewhere and the poster got hung up trying to verify in that scenario.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the long patient explanation.

I use Google Docs and Drive daily so I was worried having a second account might scroodle up my ability to use my different accounts due to identity conflicts of some sort.

Since you have two Gmail accounts, are you allowed to use Drive storage on both? I thought a mirror site might be good to have for my files.

And I would want to use either/or Google account to sign in on my devices (unactivated and active phones), depending which account I wanted to work in. Hopefully it wouldn't be an issue.

I had thought possibly it was only allowed for one person to have only one Google and one Gmail account and a secondary account only allowed for family members, room mates or friends with distinctly different I.D.
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    I have two GV/Gmail accounts that I established so long ago I can't remember exactly what my cautions were. I wanted another GV number in another nearby state with different area code. I did use a different, made up variation of my name, which I think is good just to help the account holder (yourself) keep things straight in the time that follows. The email address could be made similar enough or different as you like, depending on how you think it'll affect those you give it out to; and you can make the name that appears on received messages from that account clearly identify you.

Just also keep in mind that for whichever GV number gets put on the back burner (as far as usage), you should establish a pattern to use it in a token fashion to show usage, or over some period of time Google will send you an email warning they've not seen much usage and threaten to take back the number and close the GV part of that account. This is likely for Google-supplied numbers; not for ones you may have paid to port in.

To answer your last question, I can't remember what happened with me in this regard. I have three different cellular lines of service for a long time now, so I probably did use a different one for the verification process. I seem to remember a not-too-long-ago thread about this topic here somewhere and the poster got hung up trying to verify in that scenario.
    Sent from my Z557BL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I didn't answer this immediately, because I have had 4 Gmail accounts for MANY years, but I have no recollection of how I started them AND, even if I did, there's no guarantee that things haven't changed since then. I had all of those Gmail accounts before I had any of my 3 GV #s, and simply added the GV #s over the years. The 1st in 2009 as a new #, the second in 2015 when I ported my old AT&T home phone # to GV, and the 3rd in early 2019 when I got it for testing the GV app.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for commenting. If you have 4 Gmail accounts then it probably means I can get another. I guess I should just see if they'll let me add another and if they won't then that's that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I didn't answer this immediately, because I have had 4 Gmail accounts for MANY years, but I have no recollection of how I started them AND, even if I did, there's no guarantee that things haven't changed since then. I had all of those Gmail accounts before I had any of my 3 GV #s, and simply added the GV #s over the years. The 1st in 2009 as a new #, the second in 2015 when I ported my old AT&T home phone # to GV, and the 3rd in early 2019 when I got it for testing the GV app.
    Sent from my A576BL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I was able to create a new Gmail address by going into my current Gmail account and tapping my account icon image. Chose add account and it asked personal or business. After the Gmail account was created, I received a welcome email in my normal inbox. I can get the new emails or send emails in my original inbox. I use a drop-down list to choose which email I want to use.

Then I tried to figure out how to get a Google Voice number for the new account. I thought if I went into my GV app it would allow me to sign in using another account and then go from there. I couldn't see anywhere that I could do that (as I could with Google Hangouts).

Then I tapped my Google account icon image in the upper right hand corner and I was shown both Gmail addies so I chose the new one. It went to a page that offered to let me pick a GV number. The list in my area code was of places far from where I live so I hesitated to pick a number. I backed out. But apparently I can have a second GV number as long as it'll let me verify or associate it using the TF number I associate with my original GV number.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. But are you sure you didn't just create a new Google account? Even if that's what you did, as you found out, that's good for getting a new GV #.

Unfortunately, if you don't see a suitable area code / # combo offered by GV, you may need to port in an existing # that IS suitable for what you want. That would cost $20, but then it is a permanent # for you.

Feedback Score
    I think it probably is a new Google account since I can switch I.D. but I haven't explored it entirely yet. I think I may just check occasionally to see if GV offers a number I like. If not I could try to port a number I like for the $20, it's certainly worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Thanks for the info. But are you sure you didn't just create a new Google account? Even if that's what you did, as you found out, that's good for getting a new GV #.

Unfortunately, if you don't see a suitable area code / # combo offered by GV, you may need to port in an existing # that IS suitable for what you want. That would cost $20, but then it is a permanent # for you.
    Sent from my A576BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+, Moto X4, Moto G5 Plus, Blu R1HD, IPhone 6s, Defective Umidigi Power
    Carrier(s)
    VerizonPP, Red Pocket A,T,V
    Feedback Score
    GV lets you change your number for $10.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Colecaz View Post
    GV lets you change your number for $10.
    But that won't help if a suitable area code / # combo isn't offered by GV, unless one becomes available later

Feedback Score
    The list of numbers I'm getting is in other counties and it would be cheaper to wait and choose a number I like rather than pay to change later. Especially since this is a second GV account, not my first one. But good point because some may not know they can pay to change numbers.