Thread: T-Mobile/Metro get unlimited data, extra mobile hotspot in response to Covid-19

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile/Metro get unlimited data, extra mobile hotspot in response to Covid-19

• Starting now - ALL current T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customers who have plans with data will have unlimited smartphone data for the next 60 days (excluding roaming).
    • Providing T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customers an additional 20GB of mobile hotspot / tethering service for the next 60 days – coming soon.
    • Working with our Lifeline partners to provide customers extra free data up to 5GB of data per month over the next two months.

I think other carriers are doing something similar. Also Comcast.

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/t-mobi...id-19-response
    https://www.tmonews.com/2020/03/t-mo...t-coronavirus/

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Regarding Comcast/Xfinity (if you happen to be in one of their service areas), they are opening up their "xfinitywifi" network to non-paying members of the public for the interim.

This is the service that appears on Comcast's residential and business customers' wireless routers/gateways in addition to that customer's own private SSID. Usually only available to Comcast customers "out in the wild" who are paying for home internet at a greater than base level of service.

Pretty handy. I use it regularly out and about since I don't have a cell data plan of any kind, but do have Comcast home internet service at the "Performance" level, thus entitling me.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I may have jumped the gun or misinterpreted Comcast opening up "xfinitywifi" for public use. I had recommended it to a friend who's in range of it in his neighborhood from his house, and there it is still requiring a password for entry.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular, FreeUP Mobile, FreedomPop; Formerly Truphone, Google Fi, T-Mo Prepaid Gold Reward
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    I may have jumped the gun or misinterpreted Comcast opening up "xfinitywifi" for public use. I had recommended it to a friend who's in range of it in his neighborhood from his house, and there it is still requiring a password for entry.
    It's only their public wifi hotspots (businesses) that are free to anyone. Wifi hotspots that run from a home user are not open, which is likely the situation with your friend.
    Trying to come up with some sort of signature line...

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

T-Mobile/Metro get unlimited data, extra mobile hotspot in response to Covid-19

In the T&C’s of our local ISP’s is there ever a situation where our private password protected networks suddenly became open without our authorization?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    • Starting now - ALL current T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customers who have plans with data will have unlimited smartphone data for the next 60 days (excluding roaming).
    • Providing T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customers an additional 20GB of mobile hotspot / tethering service for the next 60 days – coming soon.
    • Working with our Lifeline partners to provide customers extra free data up to 5GB of data per month over the next two months.

I think other carriers are doing something similar. Also Comcast.

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/t-mobi...id-19-response
    https://www.tmonews.com/2020/03/t-mo...t-coronavirus/
    This works out great for those with grandfathered small data plans.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    I'm on TMobile prepaid. From 3/13-3/17 my 5GB bucket stopped incrementing. Then after my new month started, both buckets incremented with my usage as pre-Covid-19. Especially weird since, on 3/20, I got a text saying I was upgraded to unlimited data until 5/13.
    So now I'm left guessing whether my regular 5GB limit is in force or not.