Thread: Wow! First Hangouts update in a while!

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score

Wow! First Hangouts update in a while!

Just tonight, to version 32 and change. Haven't scoped it out, but likely nothing dramatic.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Just tonight, to version 32 and change. Haven't scoped it out, but likely nothing dramatic.
    Thanks for the heads-up!

But I won't be updating until something stops working or I'm forced to update!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.android.talk
    What's New
    • Bug fixes
    • Android 8.0+ devices: Customized ring and chat message tones for individual classic Hangouts conversations and contacts will be removed. You can still customize general ring tones and messaging sounds for classic Hangouts by accessing Settings via the Menu section of the app.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^Take a backup (titaniumbackup), update, revert back if necessary.

Feedback Score
    I don't see a good reason to update at this time. Everything is working fine. I have been thinking about just using Google Voice app instead.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LCSJL View Post
    I don't see a good reason to update at this time. Everything is working fine. I have been thinking about just using Google Voice app instead.
    The prior Hangouts app version is still working perfectly for me, too.

I have been testing the GV app on a separate GV # from my two primary GV #s that I use with Hangouts. I have the following issues on 5 different devices I've used it on. However, at least one person doesn't experience these issues. I you DO try the GV app, please let me know if you have these issues. Thanks!

1) In the Android GV app, when searching contacts, ALL numbers with a custom name are listed with "Other" next to the number, which doesn't work well for my usage. With the Hangouts app, when searching contacts, ALL numbers with a custom name are listed with THAT CUSTOM NAME next to the number, which is how it SHOULD be in the GV app, too. As another data point, when searching contacts, the TextNow app ALSO lists numbers with a custom name with the custom name next to the number. Some examples of custom names in my contacts include "Cabin", "Snow House", "Vickie Work", "Dan Cell".

2) On any of the three Android phones and 1 tablet I've tested the GV app with, when I click on a phone number on a web page, or from within any other app, including the Simplenote app, I am presented with multiple apps on my phone that can place a phone call, including Phone, Hangouts, Viber, and TextNow. The option to place the call with the GV app is MISSING! There is NO WAY to initiate a call as described above using the Android GV app! This is a very serious issue for me.

3) When any of my Android devices are set to silent, when a call comes into the GV # that I have set up in the GV app, the screen remains dark, and there's no indication of a call coming in. If a call comes into either of my GV #s that are set up in Hangouts on a device set to silent, the screen immediately lights up, and Hangouts can be answered. As an extra data point, even TextNow works correctly, the same as Hangouts, when a call comes in to a device that is set to silent.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I do little VoIP calling; mainly used for IM chat to my older sister.

Update: I should say, very little mobile VoIP calling. Home phone over hard-line internet is done using Obi 200 with GV.

Feedback Score
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.android.talk currently shows "Updated April 13, 2020".

But if I check the Play Store on my Pixel 3a XL, it shows the latest update available is Feb 24, 2020, which I still haven't updated.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Interesting part of this mix is (if you've kept up with ongoing Google announcements about new GSuite versions of Hangouts), where I work (a public school system using GSuite Educational) we just today switched to the newer product that shows up in the left side panel of our web-based Gmail (on all of our computers) , visible when we're logged in. It shows up as "Meet" and below that "Chat." And they've dropped the Hangouts name and are calling it Google Meet and Google Chat. All my existing Hangouts conversations still display under the newer product.

I've got a Hangouts for iOS app installed on my school-issued 6S, and I was always able to send messages between my school account and my personal Hangouts account on my own devices (which I only did for testing/curiosity reasons).

Knowing that there already are Android versions of the new products, I'll have to see if there's some for iOS, and if I need it. The IM feature isn't that heavily used with this bunch, but I get occasional faculty using it to reach me instead of email for whatever reason, since it's there in their email, which is heavily used.

Seeing this change it does look like the talk of a deadline in June for a separation of the old, classic Hangouts from the corporate version is going to really occur.

What changes might show up with the classic version after that point (if any) will be interesting to see.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I know this doesn't pertain to IP voice comms (yet), but just to continue on, last night after my last post here I got a notification on my personal devices that another update to Hangouts was ready, this one to the v33.0.x range.

And regarding the iOS work phone, I visited the AppStore and installed the Google Chat app, but after selecting my work Google account, it stated we weren't quite yet allowed to be using that, even though it's up and running on the web-based side. So little increments are giving way.

Still able to send instant messages using Classic Hangouts between work and personal devices.

Feedback Score
    Did you notice any differences in the new Hangouts v33.0.x?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Not really, and to tell the truth I just got another update, still in the v33 range. Visually it's still sporting the Material Design 1.0 look, which I actually prefer to the newer 2.0 "whiter" look (no color in the top bar and "cuter" font). Keeping it that way could indicate to some that they won't be keeping it around for long, but I would differ with that assessment.

But no, no perceptible difference, certainly not in features or layout.

Feedback Score
    Well, I was feeling brave, and decided to update Hangouts on my Pixel 3a XL.

In the Play Store app on the phone, before I updated, it showed v33.0.303435107, dated 4/1/20, and that's the version on the phone after the update.

Interestingly, similar to what I mentioned above, https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.android.talk now shows "Updated April 22, 2020". I can't say why the version per the Play Store app on my Pixel 3a XL is dated 4/1/20.

Anyway, I'll report back if I encounter any issues that seem to be caused by updating the Hangouts app...

Feedback Score
    Well, after the above-mentioned update, I've noticed no difference at all in Hangouts.

Name:  Forum Sig - MVNOs & Phones - 2020-05-21 - 95%.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  40.2 KB
    Last edited by Boz1; 05-21-2020 at 08:50 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Just got another one: To version 34.0.314821282. I do these manually as a result of being notified. Afterward I don't go and examine it to see what may have changed. I just take it as it arrives. I'll find out about any issues in due course.