Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TF iPhone Unlock - No Codes Needed, No Email Sent (?)

Feedback Score

TF iPhone Unlock - No Codes Needed, No Email Sent (?)

I unlocked my TF-branded iPhone SE (Verizon). I went through the unlock page, it required phone number and IMEI, stated I would receive an email with instructions and codes within 2 business days.

Didn't receive an email. Checked TF account, the unlock request was closed. Submitted request through unlock page again, said I'd receive email within 2 business days. Checked account, request was open, had same ticket number and original request date.

Today is three days later (and a week since original request), no email. Account showed request was closed. Called the Unlocking department.

Within a couple of minutes and checking my account, he said the phone was already unlocked, to connect to wifi and insert another sim, it will work. (I don't have another sim card to check.) When I want TF, insert original TF sim card. The phone is considered TF-branded, unlocked, it does not become a BYOD phone.

I asked about not receiving the emails or codes, he said they aren't needed for iPhones. He also said this phone is only CDMA-capable, which is not correct.

YMMV, but thought I'd share this in case it helps others.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I did something similar with my TF branded iPhone 6S when I unlocked it yesterday.. I called the unlocking department right away after two days passed. The unlock rep I spoke to said that the phone was released from the system and unlocked and will work with any sim.

I tested it with an international GSM roaming sim and it does work.

Name:  IMG_0048_PNG.png
Views: 171
Size:  24.0 KB

I've wondered if it was always unlocked.. I could test it by trying my international sim with my other "locked" TF branded iPhone but Im concerned it will mess my account up at a minimum removing basic vM. Maybe I'll test it. I seem to recall it did not work in the past but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by tomseys; 03-12-2020 at 03:55 PM.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Ok I got some courage up and decided to test my international sim on a TF branded iPhone that I have that is not eligible for unlocking (yet).

It failed to unlock or work with the sim:

Name:  IMG_1490.PNG
Views: 156
Size:  33.7 KB

So they are definitely unlocking via the TF system. And it definitely works with GSM (in this case, a three sim from the UK).
    The rep told me it will work with anything. It is unlocked. I guess basically/almost like if you bought it from Apple.

It continues to work normally (as if branded) with my original TF sim and account.
    Last edited by tomseys; 03-12-2020 at 04:25 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I unlocked a second Tracfone branded iPhone.... my iPhone SE.

This was a lot easier. Instead of waiting two days I called on the first day and the rep said it should be unlocked by end of day.
    So I pulled out my international GSM tester sim and got past the activation lock and tested it and it works. So now both of my iPhones are unlocked.

Seems they automatically unlock it by the second day. Don't even need to call in (seems an email is never sent). If you have a sim from another provider handy this can test it.

Unlocked TF branded iPhone SE (using Three UK Roaming Sim):

Name:  IMG_4094.PNG
Views: 116
Size:  91.7 KB
    Last edited by tomseys; 03-21-2020 at 02:10 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Another possible way to tell if the iPhone unlock request has been processed and completed is by looking in the account at the device in question under active devices and clicking "all options" for that device. Choose transaction/support history and then support history. There should be an iPhone unlock request listed there and this, at least in both of my cases, will/should show as "closed" once the phone is unlocked (though the phone may actually be unlocked before it shows a closed status).

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  25.1 KB

Feedback Score
    Thank you, lappers, I appreciate the info!! It's not surprising that TF's communication is, well, lacking.

I did get that screen that the unlocked transaction was "closed" - had no way of knowing if "closed" meant "cancelled" or "completed". That you got the same, and it works with another sim, is comforting. Thank you!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Were an of these iPhones used for 12 consecutive months or longer? I've got a Total Wireless//Straight Talk SE from probably 1.5 years ago. Never used on either service. It has been active using a Tracfone sim on AT&T or Verizon but not for 12 consecutive months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tersanyus View Post
    Were an of these iPhones used for 12 consecutive months or longer? I've got a Total Wireless//Straight Talk SE from probably 1.5 years ago. Never used on either service. It has been active using a Tracfone sim on AT&T or Verizon but not for 12 consecutive months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Both of my Tracfone branded iPhones were used with Tracfone service for 12 consecutive months with their original activated sims. These run on Tracfone Verizon.

I sometimes kept the sims swapped between them since I prefer carrying the iPhone SE with main phone number. But for any important actions, I would put proper sim in proper phone.

The phones unlocked slightly earlier than 12 months.. by about a week or two. Both of my phones have one to two years of more service time on them.

One of the iPhones accounts had a problem one time. The account disappeared. So i called in to upper TF support and to fix it, they had to deactivate and reactivate the phone/account. I thought this might reset the unlock countdown on this account/phone, or at least create an issue with this, but no, it unlocked fine which is nice.

But anyway, my understanding is you need 12 consecutive months of Tracfone service using the activated sim the phone came with for the phone to meet the requirements of the TF unlocking policy.

There is info here:

https://www.tfwunlockpolicy.com/wps/...vZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    What happens in the case of an iPhone when you submit a request to unlock it is:

1. Enter the phone number here.
    2. If the iPhone is eligible to be unlocked, the next screen will ask for your iPhones IMEI.
    3. If it accepts this, the next screen I believe will ask for your complete name and email address.
    4. The final screen will inform you that you will receive an email with unlocking instructions in 2 business days. It will provide a ticket number.
    5. This email will never come (or at least hasn't with me or anyone else that I know).
    6. You can then call the unlocking department (1-888-442-5102) after 2 business days to see the status of the unlock.
    7. The phone will likely be unlocked even if you do nothing at all after 2 business days.
    8. You can then test if the iPhone has been unlocked using a non Tracfone provider sim.

When you put the non TF sim in (after the iPhone has been unlocked) the iPhone will then ask to confirm the Wi-Fi username. Click next, then it will ask for the Apple user ID credentials. Enter this info, and this will get you past the activation lock. Then you should be able to use the sim. You can then use that sim, another sim, or put back the TF branded sim with no issues/seamlessly. This has been my experience.

The TF sim and account appears to continue to behave as it always did. It is for example still offered the $49.99 one year time card in the account which lately I believe has only been available to TF branded accounts.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Interestingly, I am helping a friend unlock his iPhones.

I just submitted one of his iPhones, a Safelink Wireless phone, via the above and it now went through after trying it for the past couple of weeks. I'll probably test it Monday with the sim. I expect it should be unlocked by then.

Here are what the screens, described in post above, look like:

Name:  Capture.GIF
Views: 105
Size:  256.6 KB

Name:  Capture2.GIF
Views: 113
Size:  235.9 KB

Name:  capture4.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  37.6 KB
    Last edited by tomseys; 03-22-2020 at 04:43 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tftess View Post
    Thank you, lappers, I appreciate the info!! It's not surprising that TF's communication is, well, lacking.

I did get that screen that the unlocked transaction was "closed" - had no way of knowing if "closed" meant "cancelled" or "completed". That you got the same, and it works with another sim, is comforting. Thank you!
    You're welcome

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lappers View Post
    I'll probably test it Monday with the sim. I expect it should be unlocked by then.
    This Safelink Wireless iPhone SE took three days to unlock.

Here is what the unlock screen looks like btw, which replace the carrier lock screen when unlocked:

Name:  IMG_1605.PNG
Views: 83
Size:  40.3 KB

After you submit the credentials, the phone immediately recognizes the "foreign" sim and service works.

Name:  Capture.GIF
Views: 88
Size:  18.5 KB

What is a bag phone?

Feedback Score
    @flappers
    Don't know if it applies in this context but, in the early days of mobile phones, the huge Motorola phones were carried in bags. They were called "bag phones".

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    @flappers
    Don't know if it applies in this context but, in the early days of mobile phones, the huge Motorola phones were carried in bags. They were called "bag phones".
    Oh ok, thanks!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I tried unlocking a fourth iPhone 6S for a friend, but it wouldn't unlock even though it had over a year of service completed.
    Contacted unlocking dept., and it turns out only 3 months of that was paid service on the iPhone 6S.. since he had transferred in to it when he activated with 9 months of service from another account. So according to rep he would need to purchase at least 9 more months of service before it would unlock. It wasn't clear if a $49.99 card would satisfy. So I told my friend and he wanted to get it unlocked asap/immediately without work and he needed a lot more minutes and data as well so he bought a $125 card with $50 discount code and after redeeming it on the account, the unlock page immediately worked. So that will unlock in 2 days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast