Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Is T-Mobile planning to expand rural coverage after merger?

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score

Is T-Mobile planning to expand rural coverage after merger?

Some say coverage won't get any better but how can it no over time with all the new resources and scale?

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    Some say coverage won't get any better but how can it no over time with all the new resources and scale?

This board is full of T-Mobile haters that will say anything to criticize T-Mobile. They encourage people to move to their network. Most don’t even know anything about T-Mobile Network and base their knowledge of T-Mobile from years ago.

T-Mobile has already been developing and deploying rural coverage with 600 MHz. T-Mobile is still in phase 9 of 10 in the FCC repack of TV stations that transfers the spectrum to T-Mobile to build out. So new areas are coming out plus older areas are being upgraded. This is from February 13, 2020 Of only Band 71 T-Mobile towers that also has some other spectrum bands.

https://coverage.lart2150.com/

After the merger closes, T- Mobile will immediately start to add un-Used 2.5 GHz spectrum to increase bandwidth for speed. Since T-Mobile has agreed to provide 5G to rural areas as part of the deal to the DOJ/ FCC as part of the merger requirements. I think 2023 is the goal on 5G rural coverage. If T-Mobile uses Sprint’s Massive MINO on TDD Band 41 it can support providing both 4G LTE and 5G on the same spectrum blocks similar to DSS will provide on FDD spectrum.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 03-11-2020 at 10:45 AM.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    What @shilohcane said. They have been expanding rural coverage ever since they got their first 700 MHz licenses. Look at the little crossroads of Pucket, MS. They now have a T-Mobile band-71 tower. Kind of an island of service but it's there. I can get T-Mobile service at the Hike Inn in the wilds of N. Georgia. I can roam USCC's rural LTE service in many places. Are they at the level of coverage of Verizon or AT&T? Not yet. It may take a while. In places where Sprint has towers and T-Mobile does not, they plan to keep Sprint's leases and convert the radios to T-Mobile's bands.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    They have been doing so for the past 5 years and will continue to do so. How they plan to merge two nationwide networks, pay off Sprint debt, enhance capacity in urban/suburban areas, and continue to expand their network footprint is yet to be seen. There are a lot of network synergies, but there’s still back end integration required and getting people off of old UE on Sprint onto new UE. Probably a lot of deals for Sprint customers not on 2018 iPhones/Samsungs or later. Let’s hope they up their CapEx from ~6B to ~12B+ to compete with Verizon’s ~18B and AT&T’s ~21B. They seem to make their dollar stretch further than the big two.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus Product Red
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Maybe, Visible, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile’s coverage has expanded in my area, seams like they went to every tower AT&T is on and signed a lease. But it still doesn’t help when the network is congested. I had to turn on my hotspot on my AT&T line just to send a picture message after 10 minutes of “sending”. Quite a few data dead zones in my area, with full bars. Doesn’t help that T-Mobile is spectrum squatting on band 71 in my county. 7 towers with B71 in the whole county.
    Personal Highest on LTE - US RT 1 and MD-152

Home internet - Verizon Fios 150/150 (Upgraded to Gigabit Jan. 26 2019)

Fios Gigabit:

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Yeah huge expanses of rural Mojave Desert in California are now covered with LTE and NR.

Incredible how just a few years ago all these areas were: “No Service.”

I’m really proud of T-Mobile’s low band 5GNR deployments despite what some have said. I’ll even give ATT two pom pom shakes for beating Verizon in this category.

We’re going to eventually have nationwide voice over NR (VoNR) so getting that main coverage band lit up everywhere is vital.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    This board is full of T-Mobile haters that will say anything to criticize T-Mobile. They encourage people to move to their network. Most don’t even know anything about T-Mobile Network and base their knowledge of T-Mobile from years ago.
    Damn right off the bat before ONE person has responded you are in attack mode when NOT ONE person has said anything you are accusing some mysterious "haters" of.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryland View Post
    ..... Doesn’t help that T-Mobile is spectrum squatting on band 71 in my county. 7 towers with B71 in the whole county.
    Not quite the definition of "spectrum squatting".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Not quite the definition of "spectrum squatting".
    Yeah no kidding. If he can detect band 71 then they aren't squatting. Also considering the final stations in Maryland aren't due to switch until Friday( one in west Maryland won't switch until May 1st ) and thus T-Mobile can't even use their spectrum

Device(s)
    Huawei P20 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I can't say anything bad about T-Mobile..Never had problems with its coverage and pricing plans. I work in Colonial Van Lines customer service and often work outside of the city, so have to stay in touch with my clients all the time. T-mobile is a great solution as for me...
    Best and worst brands, reviews from real customers - https://www.pissedconsumer.com/

BTA-44: MTA-29: MSA-41: PEA-40: CMA-41: BEA-78: MEA-24
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+ (unlocked), Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Damn right off the bat before ONE person has responded you are in attack mode when NOT ONE person has said anything you are accusing some mysterious "haters" of.
    Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T Unlimited & More w/ 2 Lines
    AT&T TV w/ HBO

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    They have been doing so for the past 5 years and will continue to do so. How they plan to merge two nationwide networks, pay off Sprint debt, enhance capacity in urban/suburban areas, and continue to expand their network footprint is yet to be seen. There are a lot of network synergies, but there’s still back end integration required and getting people off of old UE on Sprint onto new UE. Probably a lot of deals for Sprint customers not on 2018 iPhones/Samsungs or later. Let’s hope they up their CapEx from ~6B to ~12B+ to compete with Verizon’s ~18B and AT&T’s ~21B. They seem to make their dollar stretch further than the big two.
    That's a pretty good summary of it. T-Sprint will surely expand rural coverage to some extent. However, it will also take them at least a decade to catch up to AT&T and Verizon, if they ever do. Verizon has had a lot of rural coverage in a lot of regions for a long time, AT&T has been playing catch-up, but if Verizon's current lack of doing much of anything in terms of geographic coverage continues alongside AT&T's FirstNET build-out, then AT&T will likely surpass Verizon in terms of nationwide coverage within the next couple of years. While they haven't finished an upgrade or actually met a network deployment goal in the last 15 or 20 years, the progress they have made is still pretty impressive.

T-Sprint will have their hands full between combining 8 networks into 2, fixing the mess that T-Mobile made out of rural coverage with improperly spaced towers and lack of spectrum deployment in the 2014-2017 timeframe, and then expanding coverage beyond those areas. I'm hoping that this all lights a fire under Verizon's derriere, and they start to fill in some of the holes in their map, including that gaping hole in central Texas and a few others. AT&T now has USCC roaming, so hopefully Verizon will follow suit.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

While T-Mobile has done a considerable number of rural coverage improvements in Texas, the coverage maps are still flawed in showing coverage in rural places that have no service, even standing outside holding the latest TMO phone as high in the air as you can

Also there are still several severely congested sites in sub-rural Texas areas that still have original 2G converted to LTE Band 2 equipment
    Some of these sites have sectors that are very weak obviously because of the age of the 2002-2008 2G equipment/Antennas TMO doesn’t seem to care about replacing

And other sites where they added LTE/5G Band 71 to existing Band 2 only LTE sites but didn’t add any Band 4, even though they had the license in these areas for 20x20 Band 4, so these sites still get congested easily with just 5x5 Band 71 LTE plus 5x5 or 10x10 Band 2 LTE depending on the county

Every time I take a road trip in rural South Texas I am still “no service” for around 25% of the time, even on major State highways or inside of State Parks

I am very curious about two stretches of State Highway where Sprint has service and TMO doesn’t that I frequent every so often, does the new TMO keep these sites?
    Will existing TMO customers be able to roam on these sites anytime soon?
    Or will they get scrapped or placed on this “list of rural sites to be upgraded” they will get to someday to allow TMO customers to use them

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MEDIX1011 View Post
    While T-Mobile has done a considerable number of rural coverage improvements in Texas, the coverage maps are still flawed in showing coverage in rural places that have no service, even standing outside holding the latest TMO phone as high in the air as you can
    All the carriers crayon in their maps, but it seems that T-Mobile is now the worst offender of the bunch. They also, as you say, have a lot of places where they haven't deployed all their spectrum.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MEDIX1011 View Post
    ......I am very curious about two stretches of State Highway where Sprint has service and TMO doesn’t that I frequent every so often, does the new TMO keep these sites?
    Will existing TMO customers be able to roam on these sites anytime soon?
    Or will they get scrapped or placed on this “list of rural sites to be upgraded” they will get to someday to allow TMO customers to use them
    It's impossible to give answers about specific sites, at this time. In general, the plan is that T-Mobile will keep tower leases that enhance their coverage while turning redundant leases over to DISH, to form the basis of their network. Sprint's band-26 licenses will go to dish. So the retained sites will need new air units. Anything I said about possible roaming on Sprint's network would be conjecture.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast