Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Is T-Mobile planning to expand rural coverage after merger?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    It actually could be between 7 and 10 depending on how you count. I should probably revise my count to 10 now that I actually list them all out. I hadn't counted EDGE and mmWave 5G before. However, if you count mmWave 5G, the final result will be 3 networks, not 2.

1. Sprint CDMA/1x
    2. Sprint EVDO
    3. Sprint LTE
    4. Sprint 5G
    5. T-Mobile GSM/GPRS
    6. T-Mobile EDGE
    7. T-Mobile UMTS
    8. T-Mobile LTE
    9. T-Mobile n71 5G
    10. T-Mobile mmWave 5G
    Well those are really different technologies on the two networks. The only real integration is moving the Sprint sites that T-Mobile wants to keep over to the T-Mobile network.

But the Sprint customers will be moving over to the T-Mobile network. Those with compatible phones can move right away. The rest will remain on the legacy network until they get new devices.

T-Mobile has been planning this for awhile due to the delay in merger approval. So it's my understanding they can light up the Sprint spectrum on T-Mobile sites, band 25 and band 41.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    It actually could be between 7 and 10 depending on how you count. I should probably revise my count to 10 now that I actually list them all out. I hadn't counted EDGE and mmWave 5G before. However, if you count mmWave 5G, the final result will be 3 networks, not 2.

1. Sprint CDMA/1x
    2. Sprint EVDO
    3. Sprint LTE
    4. Sprint 5G
    5. T-Mobile GSM/GPRS
    6. T-Mobile EDGE
    7. T-Mobile UMTS
    8. T-Mobile LTE
    9. T-Mobile n71 5G
    10. T-Mobile mmWave 5G
    They aren’t moving 7 to 10 networks. They are moving just moving the Sprint customers from their network to T-Mobile. Just like Neville Ray did successful moving MetroPCS CDMA customers to T-Mobile GSM. Only this time over 80% of Sprint’s customers have compatible phones on T-Mobile. T-Mobile is primarily a VoLTE network that will ease the conversation. The Sprint network will stay up and Sprint customers will get roaming on the T-Mobile network as they permanently move Sprint customers to T-Mobile. The FUD is just amazing from people that pretend this can’t happen.

Feedback Score
    Hey Jet is this supposed take a decade also? LOL

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    Hey Jet is this supposed take a decade also? LOL
    LOL. No, Ray estimated it would take just two to three years for migration.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Only this time over 80% of Sprint’s customers have compatible phones on T-Mobile. T-Mobile is primarily a VoLTE network that will ease the conversation. The Sprint network will stay up and Sprint customers will get roaming on the T-Mobile network as they permanently move Sprint customers to T-Mobile.
    I think 80% phone compatibility is a high figure. If Sprint B26 is shifted off to Dish, there may be no usable low-band service on T-Mobile with Sprint phones that don't have B71. T-Mobile B12 is not deployed everywhere, nor is B71.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    I think 80% phone compatibility is a high figure. If Sprint B26 is shifted off to Dish, there may be no usable low-band service on T-Mobile with Sprint phones that don't have B71. T-Mobile B12 is not deployed everywhere, nor is B71.
    That 80% was released by Sprint and was in a Wall Street Journal that I used my free views of this month, Here is a chart of some of the Phones that have some compatible with T-Mobile. Make sure you read the statement at the bottom.

Name:  50C08D8B-05F0-49C1-A466-89E4D1F4E6B4.jpeg
Views: 76
Size:  188.6 KB

Feedback Score
    That 80% was released by Sprint and was in a Wall Street Journal that I used my free views of this month, Here is a chart of some of the Phones that have some compatible with T-Mobile. Make sure you read the statement at the bottom.
    Your chart supports my position that there are significant incompatibilities between T-Mobile and Sprint phones running on each other's network. More so than even this skeptic would have thought. What I had seen earlier by a Sprint spokesperson claimed more like 50% compatibility. I think they fudged the numbers to look better in the Federal lawsuit.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Your chart supports my position that there are significant incompatibilities between T-Mobile and Sprint phones running on each other's network. More so than even this skeptic would have thought. What I had seen earlier by a Sprint spokesperson claimed more like 50% compatibility. I think they fudged the numbers to look better in the Federal lawsuit.
    I think you are confusing the term “ Compatible “ with complete spectrum band compatibility. The lasted 2020 release Flagship phones like the S20 are the only phones that have all the spectrum bands from Sub-6 to mmWave. Anyone that has a major brand phone that is about 2.5 years old have compatible phones. The iPhone 8 released Sept 2017 is only missing Band 71. It’s not optimum missing B71 and mmWave but it is compatible on T-Mobile. Android phones that are missing some spectrum bands that are blocked on Sprint’s branded phones can be unlocked by new software updates. Besides anyone that got a iPhone 8 on Sprint will get a good deal to upgrade their phones. Most people upgrade phones after 3 years and Sprint network will be available for about 2 more years.

Feedback Score
    Android phones that are missing some spectrum bands that are blocked on Sprint’s branded phones can be unlocked by new software updates.
    I doubt much effort will be made to upgrade the older phones for spectrum band unlocking (if possible). Too complicated, and not a "one size fit's all" kind of deal. Would think the manufacturer would need to get involved, and I doubt they would want to.

As far as B-71, it seems important after having a phone without it on a T-Mo MVNO. Backbone B4 was really crummy in my area.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    1. Sprint CDMA/1x
    2. Sprint EVDO
    3. Sprint LTE
    4. Sprint 5G
    5. T-Mobile GSM/GPRS
    6. T-Mobile EDGE
    7. T-Mobile UMTS
    8. T-Mobile LTE
    9. T-Mobile n71 5G
    10. T-Mobile mmWave 5G
    But, 1, 2, 5, 6, all have planned shutdown dates within the next year or two (7's time is probably numbered too but don't know for sure.). 5 years ago, I would have considered a merger like this messy for just that reason, loads and loads of CDMA devices that have to be replaced and all sorts of fun. Really as it stands now they can worry about getting LTE and 5G integrated, the rest can just run for a while until everyone's migrated off of it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax/Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    They aren’t moving 7 to 10 networks. They are moving just moving the Sprint customers from their network to T-Mobile. Just like Neville Ray did successful moving MetroPCS CDMA customers to T-Mobile GSM. Only this time over 80% of Sprint’s customers have compatible phones on T-Mobile. T-Mobile is primarily a VoLTE network that will ease the conversation. The Sprint network will stay up and Sprint customers will get roaming on the T-Mobile network as they permanently move Sprint customers to T-Mobile. The FUD is just amazing from people that pretend this can’t happen.
    I've tried to reason with this one before on this topic.

T-Mobile can get this done in 24-36mos no problem, all while expanding rural coverage on those sites already built by VZW/AT&T early on (since they no longer own them)

It's not nearly as a monumental task as he's making it out to be as it's literally 2 -> 1 conversion. The technology all broadcasted on both networks is all software defined radios at this point and it's literally just integrating the cores.

They could even just integrate the cores and have the cell sites just broadcast two MNC configurations like T-Mobile/AT&T used to do in the California/NYC network sharing deal. It's really not that big of a deal.

1) set up dual MNC on all sites so the phones can fully utilize both networks

2) integrate billing system, then start moving Sprint accounts to T-Mobile billing system

3) replace SIM cards for compatible handsets

4) set final date for incompatible devices, those who do not move to a new device are simply cutoff

5) decommission sprint's systems.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"
    Sprint: Premium Unlimited (for 100GB hotspot!)

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    T-Mobile can get this done in 24-36mos no problem, all while expanding rural coverage on those sites already built by VZW/AT&T early on (since they no longer own them)
    T-Mobile 'can' do this ... the question is more of 'will the' or do they 'want to'.
    The initial buildout of B21/700MHz and B71/600 MHz was quite good. There is service in many places where they couldn't reach before (AT&T/VZW were built on cellular/850, T-Mobile was PCS/AWS). PCS/AWS 'can' work in many areas like SoCal/and places where there is a clear line of sight. Places like northern MI, VT, upstate NY where there is a huge tree canopy, and the terrain doesn't help - you end up with pockets of service.
    I think they've done a lot to get service to these areas, but are still lacking in many places compared to VZW/AT&T. I don't have much of an issue with it, unless they're attempting to claim that they cover it all.. when they don't. I still have many places where T-Mobile claims service and even 'verified' service ... but there is none.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Places like northern MI, VT, upstate NY where there is a huge tree canopy, and the terrain doesn't help - you end up with pockets of service.
    Someone pointed out recently that towers get sparely placed in those outlying areas without anything near an overlap. They can claim coverage in a given area, but it's very spotty as you say. I live in such an area, and short towers cut range too.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Someone pointed out recently that towers get sparely placed in those outlying areas without anything near an overlap. They can claim coverage in a given area, but it's very spotty as you say. I live in such an area, and short towers cut range too.
    Yup...I've typically in my travels noticed that in rural areas, T-Mobile has a bit of both... and is spread thin in both.
    Eg. Rural SoCal in the high desert - you'll get outdoors/in-vehcile coverage down to ~1 bar and blips of 'no-service' before handoff in many areas regardless of type. Eg. Lucerne Valley has 'a' site which isn't quite tall (no barriers), and covers a long range. It dies by Cushenbury.. AT&T's as well. Verizon has both a site at Cushenbury and one in the SB national forest.
    In many of the smaller towns... T-Mobile has either 'a' site in the community or large site outside of the community. AT&T/VZW typically have one or more sites in a rural community as well as a large site outside. Places like Estes Park, CO - T-Mobile suffered a LOT. From St. Ignace, MI to Sault Ste. Marie border - AT&T / VZW have 7 sites each... T-Mobile has 3, and this actually leaves BIG gaps of 'no-service' where T-Mobile still claims there is some.
    For rural areas... T-Mobile still has a long ways to go, IMHO. Many that live/work in rural communities will most likely not use T-Mobile with these large gaps in coverage. In the urban areas ... T-Mobile coverage is more than adequate, while performace will vary. I have great performance where I am, so there's no issue for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    For rural areas... T-Mobile still has a long ways to go, IMHO. Many that live/work in rural communities will most likely not use T-Mobile with these large gaps in coverage.
    Most in my semi-rural area go with Verizon if they want reliable service. Some cling to the T-Mobile and Sprint service they used for years before coming here from the urban/suburban areas and saw the coverage problems. Don't think B71 is being used here. Was going to check with with the local T-Mobile store, but they would not be open with the almost total business lock down in CA a few days ago.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast