Thread: Stop receiving emergency alerts

Feedback Score

Thumbs down Stop receiving emergency alerts

Ontario is apparently has its head so far up its *** it doesn't know what's what anymore. After sending an emergency alter about a nuclear disaster last month that didn't happen, you'd think something was learnt. That's before sending an Amber alert at 3am a few months earlier.

NOPE!

They're at it again...

Not one, but TWO Amber alerts at ****ing 12:04am and again at 12:14am. Like who are these idiots?

On my Note 10 at least you can disable them in Messaging -> Settings -> Emergency Alerts. Done and done. Go **** your self Ontario.

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    I agree I hate the random / stupid alerts but this one appears to be a legit kidnapping (first one in like last 10)
    So although I am pissed at timing (kid dissapears at 830AM so cops think good idea to send alert after midnight wtf???)
    Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
    Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    I agree I hate the random / stupid alerts but this one appears to be a legit kidnapping (first one in like last 10)
    So although I am pissed at timing (kid dissapears at 830AM so cops think good idea to send alert after midnight wtf???)
    After I turned off 'Amber Alerts' in Messaging -> Settings -> Emergency Alerts I still got ANOTHER (count that, it's the 3rd one) this morning when I switched off airplane mode.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    After I turned off 'Amber Alerts' in Messaging -> Settings -> Emergency Alerts I still got ANOTHER (count that, it's the 3rd one) this morning when I switched off airplane mode.

That setting is useless in Canada. All alerts in Canada are Presidential alerts meaning they cannot be blocked.

In the USA you can block AMBER alerts. I wish we followed the American system.

People have had success blocking alerts in Canada by putting their phones on 3G only since alerts are over LTE.
    Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
    AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post
    That setting is useless in Canada. All alerts in Canada are Presidential alerts meaning they cannot be blocked.

In the USA you can block AMBER alerts. I wish we followed the American system.

People have had success blocking alerts in Canada by putting their phones on 3G only since alerts are over LTE.
    What is it with Canada + Ontario in general these days. We hire and elect the wrong people because there was no one else.

Feedback Score
    Just enable Do Not Disturb mode, it should be silent when the alert is received.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    Just enable Do Not Disturb mode, it should be silent when the alert is received.
    DND does not silence these Presidential Alerts on my Samsung Galaxy S9 or Apple iPhone SE.

My Samsung Galaxy S9 even has all alerts turned off, but I still get blasted out of bed. Emergency Alerts -> Extreme alerts <off>, Severe alerts <off>, AMBER alerts <off>, WPAS Test alerts <off>

Why does Canada insist that every alert has to be a Presidential Alert? Why can't we have a system like the Americans have?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    In all seriousness, if I had a loved one who was missing I would want every potential witness to know about it in case they are seen. Small inconvenience for some, but absolutely vital in the big picture to get the word out ASAP.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post

Not one, but TWO Amber alerts at ****ing 12:04am and again at 12:14am. Like who are these idiots?
    OMG !! How terribly inconvenient. You might feel different if it was your son or daughter who was missing.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    In all seriousness, if I had a loved one who was missing I would want every potential witness to know about it in case they are seen. Small inconvenience for some, but absolutely vital in the big picture to get the word out ASAP.
    But you don't understand how AMBER alerts are abused here in Canada.

We get blasted because a father who picks his daughter up every day from school actually picked his daughter up from school. His wife is upset with him so she reported him to the police for absolutely no reason. And wait for it, English-only blast is followed a few minutes later with an English and French blast.

We get blasted in the middle of the night because a mother is with her child on a bus from Sudbury to Toronto -- a 400 km trip. But if we've seen her on the bus, let the police know. Excuse me, but can't the police just radio the bus driver to see where he is and ask him to turn off the highway to awaiting police vehicles? Or just have police wait at the destination? And wait for it, English-only blast is followed a few minutes later with an English and French blast.

We get blasted because the Pickering Nuclear Generating Station has had an incident, but we're only notifying people that live close by. But it turns out at least half the huge province of Ontario got blasted for what should have been a very local notification. And wait for it, English-only blast is followed a few minutes later with an English and French blast. And then we get blasted out of bed again because there's not an incident at the Pickering Nuclear Generating Station -- we don't know what's going on, but don't be alarmed. It turned out they were testing the alert system for the Pickering Nuclear Generating Station, but they didn't have the proper training and didn't know what they were doing.

Shall I continue?

Feedback Score
    Thanks, I didn't realize it behaved differently for each brand. DND works wonders on my Pixel.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post
    DND does not silence these Presidential Alerts on my Samsung Galaxy S9 or Apple iPhone SE.

My Samsung Galaxy S9 even has all alerts turned off, but I still get blasted out of bed. Emergency Alerts -> Extreme alerts <off>, Severe alerts <off>, AMBER alerts <off>, WPAS Test alerts <off>

Why does Canada insist that every alert has to be a Presidential Alert? Why can't we have a system like the Americans have?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    OMG !! How terribly inconvenient. You might feel different if it was your son or daughter who was missing.
    No I probably wouldn't. They can plaster it on signage and if still nothing, send it in the afternoon, without a nuclear alert.

Not at 2am when everyone is sleeping and not looking for a child

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You are entitled to your opinion and I don't fault you for that. Just expressed my own......