Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: humorous coverage map situation

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 256gig (me), iPhone 7 32gig (wife)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

humorous coverage map situation

I know the coverage maps are worth as much as I pay for download cost on my unlimited home internet ... <BIG grin>

Our daughter and her family have rented a cabin in the NC mountains for a short 4 day vacation and invited us us for as much of the time as we would like.

It's near Trust NC; I have the street address but am not sharing it. There is supposedly good wi-fi, so we'll have communication at the house whatever.

I looked on t-mobile and Verizon maps ... no coverage. OK.

They have Sprint. I looked it up on the Sprint coverage map, and see 4G from one partner and what I'd guess as 2G from another partner.

I find that puzzling, if true.

Whatever, we'll find out when we go in 6 weeks or so.

Puzzling, no more than that.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    US Cellular operates in that area, so that could explain Sprint's partner coverage. Sprint [currently] can roam on USCC's LTE and CDMA network.

It probably doesn't show up on T-Mobile's coverage map because US Cellular doesn't have VoLTE enabled there. T-Mobile requires VoLTE access to utilize US Cellular roaming.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Neither US Cellular or AT&T show coverage in Trust NC, so not looking very promising. Though you may get lucky if you are on the right side of a mountain ridge.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    In this neck of the woods, the 700A license is held by USCC. If T-Mobile were to have service (and I'm not saying they do) it would probably be mostly band-71, which is not available on the OP's iPhone 7. USCC has band-12 LTE service in the general vicinity. Trust itself appears to be a service hole but Spring Creek, a few miles up the road shows LTE service on USCC's maps. If you get there and have a USCC signal but can't roam, T-Mobile may have LAC blocked the local USCC towers. (I found this to be the case in Wears Valley, TN.) If you can get into the iPhone's engineering menu and sort out the LAC, call customer service and file a trouble ticket about not being able to roam the specific USCC LAC. I did this and they eventually unblocked the USCC LAC covering Wears Valley. Remember that 911 will often work even if your phone shows "No Service".
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 256gig (me), iPhone 7 32gig (wife)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    OP here ... I'm not expecting service, was just surprised Sprint did and t-mo didn't. (My thought is what the merger will bring)

We'll have wi-fi in the house.

This is just 1 night for us. It is not life-threatening. We're not teenagers.<g>

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    RootMetrics actually shows T-Mobile has poor service in Trust. I believe RootMetrics counts roaming service as if it were native. So, it might be USCC.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sprint created the Rural National Hub that linked all the regional rural carriers that are mainly CDMA. T-Mobile joined the GSM version of the rural hub but it was few GSM regional GSM carriers.

Sprint to join rural operators in nationwide roaming hub https://www.cnet.com/news/sprint-to-...e-roaming-hub/

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Verizon in moving from CDMA to LTE has been leaving Rural customers in 13 states.

Verizon dropping thousands of rural customers including some in NC https://www.wspa.com/news/verizon-dr...ng-some-in-nc/

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    This really doesn't accurately characterize what VZW is doing; they are not dropping rural customers in moving from CDMA to LTE. They are dropping some amount of customers who have been permanently roaming, and per FCC rules are supposed to not be signed up on VZW anyway. FCC rules about this kind of thing are meant so (in this case) VZW can't just squeeze out a local cell co's revenues by selling service in areas they don't actually provide service.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    This really doesn't accurately characterize what VZW is doing; they are not dropping rural customers in moving from CDMA to LTE. They are dropping some amount of customers who have been permanently roaming, and per FCC rules are supposed to not be signed up on VZW anyway. FCC rules about this kind of thing are meant so (in this case) VZW can't just squeeze out a local cell co's revenues by selling service in areas they don't actually provide service.
    Sorry not trying to make that point. Just pointing out that Verizon is leaving CDMA and T-Mobile is shutting down CDMA and a lot of very small rural carriers still using CDMA are no longer going to be able to feed national networks unless they move up to LTE. This is why Congress wants the major networks to bring 5G to rural areas. That was one of the commitments that T-Mobile made is bring 5G to a high percentage of rural customers by 2023.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Just pointing out that Verizon is leaving CDMA and T-Mobile is shutting down CDMA and a lot of very small rural carriers still using CDMA are no longer going to be able to feed national networks unless they move up to LTE.
    True; US Cellular is not even that small, and as recently as a year or two ago was talking about leaving CDMA up indefinitely, and kind of deploying LTE at their own pace. In isolation (i.e. not having to roam off anyone, or have anyone roam off them), their 1x network worked well and had clear calls; the 3G network had enough speed to keep their customers generally satisfied. I think it came as a rude surprise to them when they found VZW etc. planning to drop CDMA as agressively as they are planning to. Of course, it's now an opportunity for them; T-Mo (as a GSM carrier) had no compatible technology to roam off USCC with before, but with VoLTE the traditionally CDMA and traditionally GSM carriers are all compatible again, which really wasn't the case since the analog days.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Of course, a relatively small company would have difficulty in keeping up to date phones. Would Samsung, for instance, continue with CDMA support on flagships once Sprint and Verizon no longer need it?
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Feedback Score
    I’m sure they probably would prefer if they didn’t as it’d allow them to narrow down the number of model variants to build and maintain. Modem engineers at Apple and Qualcomm would probably appreciate it too as they can then focus on optimizing other parts of the modem and placement of antennas, which could even have an aesthetic advantage for those who care about that sort of thing.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    True; US Cellular is not even that small, and as recently as a year or two ago was talking about leaving CDMA up indefinitely, and kind of deploying LTE at their own pace. In isolation (i.e. not having to roam off anyone, or have anyone roam off them), their 1x network worked well and had clear calls; the 3G network had enough speed to keep their customers generally satisfied. I think it came as a rude surprise to them when they found VZW etc. planning to drop CDMA as agressively as they are planning to. Of course, it's now an opportunity for them; T-Mo (as a GSM carrier) had no compatible technology to roam off USCC with before, but with VoLTE the traditionally CDMA and traditionally GSM carriers are all compatible again, which really wasn't the case since the analog days.
    I don’t understand how US Cellular was surprised since Verizon has been saying this for a long time.

Indeed, in 2012, a Verizon executive initially hinted that Verizon would shutter its 2G and 3G CDMA networks by 2021, but then in 2016 Verizon confirmed to FierceWireless that it would shut down its CDMA network by Dec. 31, 2019.Jul 17, 2018“.

In fact Verizon quit adding CDMA only phone to their network in July 2018. https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...shutdown-looms

It’s not just CDMA but GSM is also on its final Last stand in the next few years.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    I’m sure they probably would prefer if they didn’t as it’d allow them to narrow down the number of model variants to build and maintain. Modem engineers at Apple and Qualcomm would probably appreciate it too as they can then focus on optimizing other parts of the modem and placement of antennas, which could even have an aesthetic advantage for those who care about that sort of thing.
    Qualcomm owns all the CDMA pattens and receives a small royalties from every phone that has CDMA. So even the other SOC competitors have to pay Qualcomm royalties to them around the world. https://www.zdnet.com/article/cdma-p...-for-qualcomm/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast