Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40

Thread: FCC Frees Up 280 MHz of C-band for 5G

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,736
    Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    FCC Frees Up 280 MHz of C-band for 5G

    https://www.fiercewireless.com/regul...-c-band-for-5g

    Noting the complicated nature of the proceeding and dissent from various sides, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) voted 3-2 to move forward on making 280 megahertz of C-band spectrum available for 5G, saying it marks a critical step in getting much needed mid-band spectrum into the market......................

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,258
    Feedback Score
    0
    Hopefully VZ can win half of that. They’re going to need it more than anyone. Especially now with T-Mobile getting all that golden 2.5 GHZ

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,736
    Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    Hopefully VZ can win half of that. They’re going to need it more than anyone. Especially now with T-Mobile getting all that golden 2.5 GHZ
    Tmobile has been pushing that no one carrier should be able to win more than a third of that which seems to negate the purpose of an auction so it's a wait and see till they formulate rules for this.

    The FCC did create a set of rules for the CBRS auction today -

    https://www.telecompetitor.com/spect...-white-spaces/

    spectrum between 3.55 and 3.7 GHz, the lower portion of which will be auctioned and the remainder of which will be available on a lightly licensed basis. The spectrum will be shared with incumbent military users, who use the spectrum along coastlines and who will have priority access to the band.

    As previously proposed, plans call for seven PALs to be auctioned per county, with each PAL consisting of a 10-MHz unpaired channel.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    831
    Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Anyone know how CBRS range compares to C-Band? I know C-Band is higher frequency, but I don’t know whether it has higher Tx power limits.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,288
    Device(s)
    Essential, StarTAC, Lots of mobile broadband
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Joy?

    Excitement?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Almont, Michigan
    Posts
    4,291
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Anyone know how CBRS range compares to C-Band? I know C-Band is higher frequency, but I don’t know whether it has higher Tx power limits.
    I've heard C band can be deployed at higher power making it more feasible to deploy on Macros. CBRS is currently limited obviously but from what I've seen so far it is much more impressive than LAA at limited power. Range of C will be quite a bit better imo.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,431
    Feedback Score
    0
    I said a long time ago, the system of auctioning off chunks of frequencies is antique. It's just creating revenue for government while keeps the customer options limited and expensive (yes, someone has to pay off those billions and is not coming from profits).
    Also "foreign-owned satellite operators", operating in the C-band, have more rights than the US customers???

    Today, the sharing model from CBRS can be applied over all the bands. Radio bandwidth is a natural monopoly and should be shared, not sold off.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    831
    Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    @SoNic67

    I personally think all cell carriers need to be merged and nationalized. It’s absurd to build duplicate infrastructure when all that extra hardware & RF overhead dramatically lowers overall economic efficiency for the country. Cell service is a public utility and needs to be treated like one.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    16,111
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Tmobile has been pushing that no one carrier should be able to win more than a third of that which seems to negate the purpose of an auction so it's a wait and see till they formulate rules for this.....
    One of the FCC's mandates (as defined by Congress) is to promote wireless competition. To do this, they establish auction rules that prevent one or two carriers from "cornering the market" on spectrum and also provide for new participants entry into the market. An auction that fulfills these mandates would have to prevent one carrier from buying everything and at the same time, take into account a carrier's existing allocations. I think rules that do this will make neither T-Mobile nor Verizon particularly happy.

    Keep in mind that there will be more than just three potential bidders at this auction. DISH, USCC, CSpire and a host of other parties may also wish a piece of the pie.
    Donald Newcomb

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,258
    Feedback Score
    0

    FCC Frees Up 280 MHz of C-band for 5G

    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Anyone know how CBRS range compares to C-Band? I know C-Band is higher frequency, but I don’t know whether it has higher Tx power limits.
    When WCS was first deployed the range was abysmal. Now a carrier like AT&T is pushing it well over a mile and then some. Expect the same with licensed CBRS and C band.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,258
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Tmobile has been pushing that no one carrier should be able to win more than a third of that which seems to negate the purpose of an auction so it's a wait and see till they formulate rules for this.

    The FCC did create a set of rules for the CBRS auction today -

    https://www.telecompetitor.com/spect...-white-spaces/
    T-Mobile shouldn’t be allowed to bid considering they have a boatload of mid band coming to them . 308 MHz average nationwide total spectrum not including mmW

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,431
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    @SoNic67
    I personally think all cell carriers need to be merged and nationalized.
    I won't go that far, I grew up with nationalized everything around and... let's say it wasn't a good experience.
    Lack of competition kills initiative and development. When state owns everything, nobody cares, because nobody feels like owns anything. Everything decays in disrepair or at best remains stagnant.

    A lot of towers right now are owned by different companies than carriers. Equipment seems that is redundant, but if all the customers would be on one carrier, it would need approx same amount of equipment. Simplified explanation - you can't cram all the wireless customers' channels in one antenna, one amplifier.

    On the other hand the natural monopoly like RF space should be shared. Spectrum is a precious national asset and should be used rather than lie dormant. Spectrum doesn't need maintenance or care, so it's fine to be a nationalized asset.
    It was technologically impossible in the 70's-90's, expensive in 2000's, but now in 2020 it's already here. The model applied for CBRS can and should be extended for everything else.
    Spectrum is individually requested and assigned on a case-by-case basis. Where it is no longer required, it is returned for use by others.
    This would allow smaller companies to be viable, increase competition, and that would lower the cost of wireless for everyone.


    PS: What is the CBRS sharing: https://www.thinksmallcell.com/LTE/w...-wireless.html

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,736
    Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    One of the FCC's mandates (as defined by Congress) is to promote wireless competition. To do this, they establish auction rules that prevent one or two carriers from "cornering the market" on spectrum and also provide for new participants entry into the market. An auction that fulfills these mandates would have to prevent one carrier from buying everything and at the same time, take into account a carrier's existing allocations. I think rules that do this will make neither T-Mobile nor Verizon particularly happy.

    Keep in mind that there will be more than just three potential bidders at this auction. DISH, USCC, CSpire and a host of other parties may also wish a piece of the pie.
    An admirable philosophy that I agree with but it completely goes against allowing Tmobile to buy Sprint and dominate mid band spectrum though. Now that they've merged and have the goods its time to limit mid band purchases by others?

    I understand there will be a couple of regional carriers and some WISPS who will want some but those will likely all be regional and rural purchases maybe some metro demand but metro demand will mostly be from the 3. How convenient that one third would be pretty much set aside for Tmobile this way because no other large bidder can bid on more than a 3rd likely lowering the bidding significantly. The Government could lose money in this auction with these rules and a big payout to sat companies.

    It's positive either way because it means more spectrum for customers to use - I just don't see Tmobile's stance as altruistic.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,736
    Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    @SoNic67

    I personally think all cell carriers need to be merged and nationalized. It’s absurd to build duplicate infrastructure when all that extra hardware & RF overhead dramatically lowers overall economic efficiency for the country. Cell service is a public utility and needs to be treated like one.
    We had a regulated monopoly running 90% of the country's phone systems for a century or so but people wanted to save money on long distance (that revenue subsidized local telephone service) so competition was allowed with Sprint and MCI and the monopoly was no more.

    On my street I have two cable companies and the telco on the poles which is pretty much capacity all competing for the same static base of customers.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    831
    Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    When WCS was first deployed the range was abysmal. Now a carrier like AT&T is pushing it well over a mile and then some. Expect the same with licensed CBRS and C band.
    I also expect the same with mmWave, especially because newer 3GPP releases include features like even higher-order MIMO, enhanced beamforming, and mmWave+sub-6GHz aggregation that will dramatically increase effective range. (mmWave for downlink and sub-6 for uplink will be especially useful, since cell sites can use much more massive MIMO arrangements than user equipment can.)

    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    We had a regulated monopoly running 90% of the country's phone systems for a century or so but people wanted to save money on long distance (that revenue subsidized local telephone service) so competition was allowed with Sprint and MCI and the monopoly was no more.

    On my street I have two cable companies and the telco on the poles which is pretty much capacity all competing for the same static base of customers.
    I don’t mean a regulated monopoly. I mean a publicly-owned organization that is accountable only to the American people, whether it’s through Congress, state legislatures, or direct democracy/ballot initiatives.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-13-2008, 11:55 AM
  2. FCC Auction: Whopping 90 MHz of Spectrum
    By stylus in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-10-2005, 07:09 AM
  3. FCC Auction: Whopping 90 MHz of Spectrum
    By stylus in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-09-2005, 12:55 PM
  4. Free up a good amout of space!
    By NightStrike in forum Sanyo
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-02-2003, 10:23 AM
  5. FCC Reassigns 30-MHz of Spectrum for Advanced Wireless Services
    By frail in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-03-2003, 05:40 PM

Bookmarks