Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile calls out Verizon's tiny 5G network

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    To quote Don Henley from his song, "The Garden of Allah" this line from the song rings true: "Because there are no facts, there is no truth,
    just data to be manipulated. I can get you any result you like. What's it worth to you?".
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    Feedback Score
    https://www.verizonwireless.com/5g/c...p/?city=boston

Up here, the only Verizon 5G areas, are around Fenway Park in Boston and down at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro (which is half way between Boston and Providence).

T-Mobile is correct.
    T-Mobile customer since 2005.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardP View Post

Up here, the only Verizon 5G areas, are around Fenway Park in Boston and down at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro (which is half way between Boston and Providence).

T-Mobile is correct.
    At this point ... 5G still won't make much difference to the masses, except in areas of very high population density - such as these stadiums. T-Mobile's 'current' 5G is mostly bragging rights, and doesn't hurt any for those with a 5G phone. Having actual 5G 'usable' service on 600MHz is usable in few areas (vs. the large swath of painted Magenta) and similarly - it is 10x10 in most areas which .. in urban areas does help a bit.
    When T-Mobile does actually deploy on other spectrum in suburban/urban areas - it will be more noticable and may be worth it. For now.. I'll wait.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    I could be wrong but I thought T-Mobile started this pissing match with their super bowl ad and Verizon has simply been responding back.
    T-Mobile lives for such fights. It's Verizon's mistake to respond in kind.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Red Pocket (VZ)
    Feedback Score
    The whole 5G thing is a complete pissing match. When 3G rolled out, no one cared about it for years. It was a novelty. When 4G rolled out, they advertised it quite a bit, and had AT&T's larger Faux G network vs. Verizon's faster actual 4G network. With 5G, this insane pissing match is totally out of control. Most users just don't care about 5G. They'll get it when they break their phone, the battery craps out, or they want a better camera or battery, and their new phone happens to have 5G in it. Carriers will migrate to 5G over time to deliver more data in a more cost effective manner.

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondLink View Post
    That’s the thing about Verizon, they are consistent. TMO is kind of hit or miss, and I am not referring to coverage (even though it’s true in some areas), but TMO is facing major congestion issues. That’s not to say VZW doesn’t have congestion issues, but it’s not about a moniker. It’s about coverage, reliability, and consistency.
    Verizon is very consistent in having usable data, but their speeds are all over the map, as they have overloaded macros and small cells that are pushing triple-digit speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    When the Verizon customers start paying $1000 plus up-to $1,400 for a 5G Samsung S20 Ultra they are going to be very upset that even if you are walking outside in one of their mmWave 5G ares your expense 5G phone only has a 6% chance to connect to Verizon 5G network. We got some Verizon supporter that come and claim Verizon will have low band 5G this year and make fun of T-Mobile current 5G speed. As soon as T-Mobile gets Sprint’s spectrum then T-Mobile 5G will be fast enough for 99% of their customers needs. If you build it they will come.
    This stuff is brand new. If people are buying a phone for 5G, then they should know that 5G is in it's infancy. Verizon spend a LOT on their network, and they will roll out 5G to their small cell network, which will provide massive mmWave coverage, as well as huge speed and capacity increases for their 4G network. They will also invest in in-building DAS, which is another application for mmWave. Ultimately, mmWave isn't terribly practical for most mobile applications, and it will be utilized primarily for home internet, but the investment in fiber and small cells will also massively benefit the quality of their 4G network.

Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Merger opponents complained that competition would be reduced. I'd just point out that attacking your competitor's weaknesses is just good old fashioned competition.
    Competition will be reduced, at least any meaningful competition. That's economics 101, and anyone who understands how markets work knows that. Instead of having a robust low-end of the market that's based on a low price or other novel features, we'll get higher prices and pissing matches of who can get a gigabit or two gigabit speedtest that has no practical purpose for 99% of the customers.

Quote Originally Posted by trees12 View Post
    I love how T-Mobile calls out Verizon for their lack of 5G. Verizon is always bragging about how they have the best this and first to that. While I known that no carrier has much 5G at the moment. It’s still funny to see Verizon get exposed for not having 5G in 99% of places at them moment.
    Exposed? Who cares. Verizon might have the largest network, T-Mobile definitely doesn't. What matters is steel in the air and consistent connectivity. There's a lot of places where T-Mobile has nothing and Verizon and AT&T can hang on to a bar or two.

Top of what? Top of the list for making dumb claims?
    The Speedtest pissing match. Meanwhile, AT&T's Fake 5G is significantly faster than T-Mobile's real 5G. Go figure.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardP View Post

T-Mobile is correct.
    and as we all know Verizon has no plans to expand 5G in Boston ever. the current deployment will stay as is forever.

Name:  Fey-Eyeroll.png
Views: 33
Size:  109.6 KB

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    and as we all know Verizon has no plans to expand 5G in Boston ever. the current deployment will stay as is forever.
    Your posts are all over the place, but this one is brilliant.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    When the Verizon customers start paying $1000 plus up-to $1,400 for a 5G Samsung S20 Ultra they are going to be very upset that even if you are walking outside in one of their mmWave 5G ares your expense 5G phone only has a 6% chance to connect to Verizon 5G network.
    Of course. The customers of other carriers are saying things like "users just don't care about 5G." They are saying that and making excuses because they're not using the carrier with the largest 5G network. As T-Mobile says, "Our nationwide 5G network covers more people and places than anyone else. "

The Galaxy S20 makes it easy to toggle 5G on and off. So I can run a speedtest on both bands in the same location. I am always getting faster speeds on 5G than LTE when I do that. I'm very pleased with T-Mobile's 5G thus far.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Of course. The customers of other carriers are saying things like "users just don't care about 5G." They are saying that and making excuses because they're not using the carrier with the largest 5G network. As T-Mobile says, "Our nationwide 5G network covers more people and places than anyone else. "
    And yet AT&T has fake 5G that's faster than T-Mobile's real 5G, and works in many places where T-Mobile has no service at all. I'm certainly not defending AT&T's labeling of 4G as 5G, but it is pretty funny what the results are.

Customers don't care about "5G", real or fake. Some want a connection as often as possible where they are and doing whatever they are doing. Others are more focused on price and value and are willing to have no service more often. The former have AT&T or Verizon, the latter have T-Mobile. None of them care about 5G.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

The Galaxy S20 makes it easy to toggle 5G on and off. So I can run a speedtest on both bands in the same location. I am always getting faster speeds on 5G than LTE when I do that. I'm very pleased with T-Mobile's 5G thus far.
    Congrats. How do you like your new G20? As soon as T-Mobile gets that extra Sprint spectrum, then the T-Mobile haters will have to come up with another excuse on why T-Mobile has fast nationwide 5G coverage and no one else has a usable 5G network.

Feedback Score
    Wow I wonder how much Legere is paying.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Of course. The customers of other carriers are saying things like "users just don't care about 5G." .....
    Outside of HoFo, the only people I hear talking about 5G are the NIMBYs who claim it will give you cancer and make your hair fall out. It's not like in the past where the customers were really eager for faster wireless speeds. Most people can pretty well do what they need to do now with LTE and aren't talking about "Oh when will we get 5G." It's just not "a thing". There needs to be some app people grow to need that will only work at 5G speeds before it gets their attention.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Outside of HoFo, the only people I hear talking about 5G are the NIMBYs who claim it will give you cancer and make your hair fall out. It's not like in the past where the customers were really eager for faster wireless speeds. Most people can pretty well do what they need to do now with LTE and aren't talking about "Oh when will we get 5G." It's just not "a thing". There needs to be some app people grow to need that will only work at 5G speeds before it gets their attention.
    Most of most managed pretty well with 3G too...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Not surprising since at a bar almost everyone is talking about the Coronavirus and that other subjects that we can’t talk about here. Really other than the new S20 that just shipped last week there are no other Sub-6 GHz 5G phones available yet by a major manufacturer. Yet everyone that wants a new Flagship phone and soon the first Mid-Range 5G phones are coming out will consider 5G. Especially when the three networks shut down all there 2G and 3G spectrum that could happen by the end of the year.

One of my friends that is with Verizon, just dropped an broke his phone. He ask me which 5G phone he should buy now. I told him none since it would be a few years before Verizon even has any 5G in our area. Don’t worry with all the 5G advertisement on TV from the three networks the demand will build for 5G. There are a lot of people that want the latest Flagship phone every year. T-Mobile said they will be selling about 12 models of 5G phones this year from Flagship to Mid-Range. By the fall, Apple will come out with there first 5G and then everyone will want one. Apple sells phones with Bling Bling marketing where many people buy one to flash as their trophy phones to make their friends jealous. Since most people just pay the $30 a month payment on the phones the 5G phones will be very popular this year.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    ..... T-Mobile said they will be selling about 12 models of 5G phones this year from Flagship to Mid-Range. By the fall, Apple will come out with there first 5G and then everyone will want one. Apple sells phones with Bling Bling marketing where many people buy one to flash as their trophy phones to make their friends jealous. ....
    I hope that 5G phones come down in price pretty soon. My wife's Nexus 5X is getting kind of long-of-tooth and is developing a spot on the screen, but I don't want to replace it until I can do so with a 5G phone. So, you're right in that I fit the description of a customer who plans for his next phone to be 5G.

As for Apple phones; yes and no. I don't see people camping out overnight in line to be able to buy the latest iPhone on the day it releases, like we saw in the past. Remember the whining that accompanied the release of the iPhone 6? Everyone, T-Mobile customers included, had to have it right-this-very-instant-or-I'll-hold-my-breath-until-I-turn-blue-and-die. You could tell them to wait for the next release that would have band-12 and it didn't matter, they just had to have the iPhone 6 right now! I actually believe that even the iSheep have finally wearied of constantly chasing the latest shiny iThing. Yes, when people do replace their current iPhones with a new one that has 5G, they will expect to see a 5G signal but they won't be knocking down the doors to get it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast